Author Topic: The Deborah Labrosse Freedom of Speech March  (Read 11725 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
The Deborah Labrosse Freedom of Speech March
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
I took some cell phone shots of the Deborah Labrosse Freedom of Speech March to the Bergen County Courthouse this morning. The participants gathered in a parking lot on the northeast corner of Moore and Bridge Streets.

(VERY unrelated note: I wonder if any of them knew that that spot was the site many years ago of George's Club 20 at 20 Bridge St, where on December 26, 1965, King Curtis played. His guitarist - Jimmy James - is better known to you as Jimi Hendrix.)

In the first photo, the group heads out at about 10:15am. I think that's John Labrosse - her husband - leading the way (sorry - I never met them before, so I'm not sure).

In the second photo, Ms. Labrosse (left) holds up her sign as the one-block march to the courthouse begins.

In the third photo, they cross Court St and arrive at the courthouse.

In the fourth photo, the marchers do a loop around one of the courthouse's sidewalks.

The fifth photo finds the first speaker (sorry - I don't know her name) inspiring the group. Homeless advocate Robin Reilly and Ms. Labrosse also spoke.

The last photo shows Ms. Labrosse and her message surrounded by supporters.

The event ended shortly thereafter.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Deborah Labrosse Freedom of Speech March
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
How many of the 80 marchers were homeless people rounded up by Robin Reilly.  Back in the 2005 election, someone made the observation that the homeless are the core group of "Citizens for Change".  Since they hang around all day on Main Street asking pedestrians for spare change, they figured they'd adopt the name "Citizens for Change".    Can you spare some change for the "Citizens for Change"?

Just trying to add a little humor to the blogs, guys. Of course that isn't true.

It would be refreshing to see a whole different organization mobilize to challenge the administration in Hackensack.  And we can have a fair election based on honest ideas and honest campaign promises. Looks like that isn't happening this time. Sounds like it's the same old contenders, no "change" at all.

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »
 I took the stroll this morning in support. In picture # 5, far right is her Husband John.

There, I believe there was only one person of the Homeless Challanged... the rest I was familiar with in some way.

If you were there " Leafe" I would have liked to said hello... I like your Photo work and your positive posts.

I was the Guy w/ the shades & the two tall Men.

Gene " Skip "

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:57:50 PM »
Opps again... picture # 6 far right is John Labrosse.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »
My apologies to Mr. Labrosse for the wrong ID.

Thanks for the kind words, Gene (or is it "Skip"?). Are you in any of the pictures?

Any idea who the gentleman leading the march with the "Let Your Voice Be Heard" sign is? Might as well try to give him the correct ID.

Bob
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »
Crowd protests free speech at Bergen courthouse 
[Editor's note: Really?  Why would they protest free speech?]
Sunday, March 15, 2009
BY MONSY ALVARADO
NorthJersey.com
STAFF WRITER

HACKENSACK — More than 80 people stood at the steps of the Bergen County Courthouse on Sunday to protest a lawsuit filed against a city resident which they say is a violation of her First Amendment rights to free speech.

The march and rally were organized in support of Deborah Labrosse, a city resident who has been sued by Police Chief Ken Zisa. He is accusing her of posting defamatory statements about him on an NJ.com online forum. Last week, Labrosse filed a counterclaim against the chief, alleging that he has "tampered" with correspondence she has posted on the forum.

"I'm in awe that this many people have come out on a Sunday morning in support of what is going on," Labrosse said. "For me, it's going to be sad in Hackensack until things change."

Neither Zisa nor his lawyer, Richard Malagiere, could be reached for comment Sunday. Malagiere has said that Zisa brought him the statements appearing on NJ.com, and posted by Labrosse. After analyzing the postings, he said, they determined them to be defamatory.

Chanting "We're here to march, we're here to say, you can't take free speech away," the group began their short walk at Bridge and Moore streets. The group included children and residents from the city and neighboring towns, who clutched signs that read "Freedom of Speech" and "Freedom Not Oppression."

"We have the right and freedom to voice our opinions under the Constitution," said Bart Calandrillo, a city resident who marched with his wife and two children. "This is a good lesson to teach my children."

Labrosse's husband, John, who plans to run for a City Council seat in May's non-partisan election, said Zisa's lawsuit against his wife is a form of intimidation. The couple have been outspoken about decisions made by the current administration, including last year's layoff of the city Fire Department's emergency medical technicians.

John Labrosse, along with four running mates, will likely challenge the incumbents in this year's election. As of Friday, no one had filed to run in the election, said Deborah Heck, the city clerk. Deadline to submit petitions is Thursday.

Teaneck Councilwoman Barbara Toffler and her husband, Chuck Powers, also joined the march, saying the fundamentals of the Bill of Rights are at stake.

"We've all been called incredible names," Toffler said. "We are all public figures and unfortunately you are subject to whatever people want to say about you. … If we allow any violation of free speech it is fascistic and it is the beginning of a totalitarian government."

Powers, a Democrat, said he is trying to organize a news conference in front of the county building today to urge the governor to delay the reappointment of Zisa to the Bergen County Board of Elections. Zisa, a Democrat and former assemblyman, was appointed to the board in June 2007 and his term expires this month.

Powers says he wants the reappointment delayed until a probe looking into why two Teaneck poll workers were fired last year is resolved. After the workers were fired, the Teaneck Council asked the board to investigate.

"There has been nothing from the board," said Toffler referring to the probe. "There has been no documentation, no letter. The council has not received a letter of response."

The Board of Elections is in charge of counting ballots, training and hiring poll workers and certifying elections.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:09:56 AM by Editor »

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
Leafe
 You didn't get a picture of me in that posted collection... but my picture is on the cover of the " Your Town Directory ".

I'm told the man who lead the march was a Mr. Canistrino (SP)

Some people know as Gene and some as " Skip " which ever you prefer is fine with me.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »
OK - and I'm Bob.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »
I was there, but no pics of me either. I don't know most of the people who were there. I went because I believe in free speech and it was a living civic lesson for anyone who does.

Were you the guy with the red cellphone?

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
Were you the guy with the red cellphone?

Yep.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »
Apparently, The Record changed the headline to read: "80 take speech fight to streets"

That's better. The old headline was "Crowd protests free speech at Bergen courthouse"

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Crowd_protests_free_speech_at_Bergen_courthouse.html