Author Topic: 2009 School Board Election  (Read 9459 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
2009 School Board Election
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:32:26 PM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:38:16 PM by Editor »

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 School Board Election
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
I remember when the school board went unopposed for years at a time.  The same people served and no one stepped up to run against them.  I think it's great that there is more interest in the future of our schools now than in the past.

Yet, it concerns me that such a small number of people turn out to vote in a city of 45,000.  It also concerns me that so many people insist our schools are failing with little or no evidence of that.

What I'd like to see is a Board that will seek solutions to the "prepare for the test" mentality that has overtaken schools nation-wide.  There has to be a better way to prove to the taxpayers that teachers are doing their jobs then to test, test, test.

It seems that most people have forgotten what assessment is designed to do.  It is designed to confirm that learning has taken place and identify things that need to be retaught and addressed in a new way.  It should be a tool in improving teaching practices to ensure that students are meeting learning objectives.  It has, instead, become an ends in and of itself.  Teach this because it's on the test, find a way to prove you've learned it even if you haven't, and if enough kids pass the test, breathe a sigh of relief. 

Hackensack is not alone in it's panicked reaction to standardized testing.  I just wonder how many people realize that test preparation is eating away at our school's budget.  Books and software have been purchased system-wide to prepare for the tests.  Teachers are paid extra stipends to come in before school and stay after school to prepare kids for tests.  Extra courses have been added for the sole purpose of preparing kids for tests.

Before taxpayers balk at teachers' salaries or benefits packages, I hope this is addressed. 

BTW - I'm voting for McKenna and Parham-Long - and voting "yes" on the budget!

Offline averagejoe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
long- parham voted for hiiring 2 politically connnected lawyers to fill 1 job!.and thousands of dollars were wasted already.doubt this?call the supt! carroll voted against this.what parham long and mc kenna dont seem to grasp is that its NOT just all about the kids ,its about the taxpayers and the community too.the board needs BALANCE ,desperately...
carroll stein mortorano,class of the field

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »
long- parham voted for hiiring 2 politically connnected lawyers to fill 1 job

Who were the lawyers?  In what way were they politically connected?
I'm not "doubting this", I'd simply like to know all the facts.  Please share.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:52:24 PM »
Carroll, Stein & Mortorano have solid track record of community service and volunteerism.  They have earned the support of the community.  I trust them 100% to lead the Hackensack School system.

Related topics: Education, Charter Schools, Testing

2004 School Board Election
2005 School Board Election
2006 School Board Election
2007 School Board Election
2008 School Board Election

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »
In response to the accusation about the 2 politically connected lawyers, BOE President Carolyn Hayer wrote:

April 20, 2009

Every Spring, the flowers bloom, the birds sing and Hackensack voters get an “attack” mailing before the School Board election. This year it’s directed against Jacquie Long-Parhamand Ronnie Bolcik-McKenna, both of whom I support for re-election and election to the Board on Tuesday, April 21.

We all know where it’s coming from. The same group that says that everyone on the School Board has to agree, with no room for disagreement or independent judgment.

While I usually ignore negative campaigning, I want to respond to this one, because it’s untrue and it reflects negatively on the School Board. 

This year, the Board replaced our Board Attorney. Why? Because a majority that included Jacquie agreed with me that “qualifications count”. The “politically-connected” Board Attorney did not meet our standards for expertise and experience in Education Law.

Before we made the change, we looked for the most qualified attorney possible whose fees would not burden our taxpayers. We found someone with extensive experience and outstanding credentials in School Law.  Our new attorney has served us well, at legal fees that were not any greater than before.

As is customary, we hired another attorney to handle contract negotiations only.  It was a temporary position that did not duplicate the work of our regular Board attorney. There was no increase in legal fees over those spent in past years. So the claim that we’ve burdened taxpayers is simply untrue.

Our opponents plan to bring back the lawyer with lesser qualifications.  Candidates for office often “go on the attack” when they have nothing to offer.  Jacquie and Ronnie want to keep the focus on our students and providing them with a good education.  We need them on the Hackensack School Board.  Please come out and support them tomorrow, Tuesday, April 21 (polls open from 2:00-9:00 PM)

Sincerely,

Carolyn Hayer

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:56:28 PM by Editor »

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:53:07 PM »
The unofficial but pretty reliable results have
Mortorano, Stein, and Carroll winning, and the budget passing.

I hope they work with their consciences and not only in as a voice
for those who paid for their campaign.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:58:18 PM »
Results:

TAX LEVY
$61,239,258
Yes: 880 No: 515

Three three-year terms
Veronica N. Bolcik McKenna 613
Philip Carroll* 848
Toi Hightower 494
Sylvia Hughes 442
Jacqueline Long-Parham* 658
Edith Martinez 351
Toni Miello 306
Robert Mortorano 829
Mark Stein 908

*incumbent

Source: http://www.northjersey.com/specialreports/schoolelections.html

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:42:39 PM »
Food for thought:

How to Suppress Voter Turnout in School Board Elections

Simple: don't hold them at the same time as other elections. New Jersey will have its primary elections in June, including a Republican primary to nominate either former U.S. Attorney Chris Christie or former Bogota Mayor Steve Lonegan to challenge former Goldman Sachs chief and current Governor Jon Corzine for the governorship. Scheduling local school board elections for the same day would have increased turnout. Instead, they were held earlier this month here in Hackensack. According to the Hackensack Chronicle's unofficial results, the city's $85,207,090 school budget was approved by a 880-515 vote: in a city of about 50,000 residents, an $85 million tax and spending decision was made by a ~3% minority of zealous voters. I'm sure that's just the way the city's education establishment prefers it.
From: http://thehackensack.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-suppress-voter-turnout-in-school.html

anything