Author Topic: Martin Terrace  (Read 9817 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
Martin Terrace
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »
Hi - I'm new to the message board and I love history!  If anyone has any history on Martin Terrace or old photos I would love to see them.  I bought a house on Martin Terrace 2 1/2 years ago.  I love the house and the street! Thanks! :laugh:

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Terrace
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
Martin Terrace was part of the Zingsem estate, which was bounded by Main Street, Catalpa Ave, Spring Valley Ave, and Krone Place.  He was the founder and builder of most of the Fairmount Section of Hackensack (at that time Fairmount was defined as both sides of Poplar Ave, and north and west to the borders of Hackensack, and only the streets west of Main Street.)  He originally built one house per square block.  Some are still standing, though greatly altered and subdivided.  See the historic house at NE corner of Summit and Cedar, that begins to capture the charm of the area from the Zingsem era.  It's like a fossil.

You should also read Scudder's writings on the Fairmount Section of Hackensack, which are posted on this website somewhere. I haven't yet read Barbara Gooding's book on Hackensack, eager to see what she uncovered.

I believe there is an artist depiction of the Zingsem estate on one of the late 1800's atlas of Hackensack.  Our editor is in possession of these.  I think the actual estate house sat squarely on what is now Martin Terrace and Pine Street, or just to the west of the intersection.

The houses on Martin Terrace all originally had red terra cotta roofs.  I believe that most if not all of them have been replaced, mostly with red and brown asphalt shinge roofs.

Note also the old Krone factory, which had burned.  The bombed-out scary-looking remains were finally demolished in the late 1970's, to contruct 3 2-family houses (west side of Krone, midway between Catalpa and Cedar).  Many of the look-alike houses on Catalpa were occupied by employees of this factory.  I think the Krone estate is the NW corner of Cedar and Krone, also subdivided but the house is still standing.  City Councilwoman Barbara Elder (1980's - Cerbo administration) lived in a house on Krone almost directly across the street.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
George Scudder's Fairmount 1915 is here: http://www.hackensacknow.com/Fairmount2_1915b.pdf

On page 10, George Scudder writes:

The Zingsem homestead and all of the surrounding grounds became the Krone homestead until the elder Krone passed away and then it began to deteriorate to such a point that it was demolished about 1920 for the building of the Martin Terrace development, where the house stood. (Martin Toolen build the houses on Martin Terrace.)

For more about Martin Toolen, do this search in Google: Hackensack "Martin Toolen"  and you'll see other references to him.

This image doesn't show Martin Terrace, but you can see "Zingsem Avenue" in the bottom, right of the image below. 

(Click image to enlarge. Scroll left/right, up/down. Click again to shrink)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:57:02 PM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:20:53 PM »
It would be great if the entire map was viewable from this website, so viewers can scroll around and look at the entire city.  If it is, please indicate where it is posted. Thanks.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:32:12 AM »
Yes, it would be nice to have the entire Walker Atlas of Hackensack scanned. Any volunteers?  I don't own the Atlas, just a small, framed portion.

In the meantime, this map will have to suffice: Hackensack 1896 map (from the Library of Congress). If you prefer, a simple, high-resolution (15MB) image is also available here.

You can see "Zingsem" here too.  Many street names have changed, but this is the area of Martin Terrace:

(Click to enlarge/shrink)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:27:53 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Martin Terrace/Zingsem
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »
One more note about Zingsem from Hackensack, Three Centuries of Prosperity:

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »
Thank You all for responding to my post.  The information was very helpful. ;D

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »
I notice that the Zingsem mansion is NOT on the lithgraphic dated 1896.  That must mean it was already torn down by then.  I see vacant land there on the square block that I described. 

I remember Scudder talking about it, and how grand it was.  Second only to the Fairmount Hotel.

anything