Author Topic: Liquor licenses (Split from Northern Main topic)  (Read 14587 times)

Offline regina

• View Profile
Liquor licenses (Split from Northern Main topic)
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »
Liquor licenses are bought and sold privately and are regulated largely by state statute and not local ordinance. Hackensack does not issue any new licenses.

Deli-Mart purchased Princess Liquor's license and I doubt very much that the transfer of the license one block away will have any impact on the surrounding neighborhood.

This administration has done much for Hackensack and continues to do great work.  For anyone who is truly paying attention, the administration's record speaks for itself. 

FYI - it seems a new license was issued last year

5/20/08 RESOLUTION NO         NO. 178 - 08

OFFERED BY:  SASSO                      SECONDED BY:  MCAULIFFE   

BE IT RESOLVED by the Mayor and Council that plenary retail consumption license #0223-33-009-011 be issued as a new license in the City of Hackensack to Anthony J. Fortino, 52 First Street, Hackensack, NJ, 07601, for the 2007-2008 licensing period

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »
And the reason Fortino needed a new license is because he transferred the one he had to JAG77

Check out this notice to see who that is

Public Notice:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-NOTICE-TRANSFER OF
ALCOHOL BEVERAGE LICENSE
Take notice that application has been made to the City of Hackensack, 65 Central Avenue, Hackensack, New Jersey 07601, for a person-to-person transfer to JAG77, LLC of the Plenary Retail Consumption Liquor License Number 0223-33-009-011 heretofore issued to Anthony J. Fortino. The person who will hold the interest in this license is Joseph C. Zisa, Jr., with an address of 284 Clinton Place, Hackensack, New Jersey 07601, who is the sole manager and member of JAG77, LLC. Objections, if any, should be made immediately in writing to: Debra Heck, Attention ABC Board, City of Hackensack, 65 Central Avenue, Hackensack, New Jersey 07601.
June 25; July 2, 2008 -
Fee $41.58 (21) 2362014

Guess it wouldn't have looked too good to issue a NEW license to our City Attorney, so a deal seems to have been made.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 05:21:53 AM »
Regina,

It sounds like our city attorney, Joseph Zisa, has decided to invest in another business in Hackensack.  What and where is JAG77. I'd like to know more.  Is it a liquor store ?  Is it a restaurant that serves liquor ?  I would be utterly aghast to learn that it is a liquor store, and mildly supportive if it is an upscale restaurant.  Just what is Joseph Zisa advancing.

It is interesting how you connected the dots, and the conclusions that you drew.  I certainly see your point.  It's hard to disagree that issueing a "new" license directly to the city attorney would instantly become a political controversy and generate negative press coverage.

We are all eagerly awaiting more information on JAG77

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
I do not know where the liquor license is being used - or if it is being used at all.

This one has bounced around a lot! I found 9 Resolutions between April 2007 & August 2008 regarding Fortino (Mercury Rising), Zisa and this license. There was also a "special ruling" regarding this license in April 2008.  Meeting dates of City Council Resolutions 4/10/07, 9/4/07, 11/15/07, 5/6/08, 5/20/08, 6/2/08, 7/8/08 (two resolutions) & 8/5/08.

It has a life of it's own - and possibly friends in high places. I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 01:58:13 PM »
I understand that the license in question was a continuation of an existing license and that there was no increase on the number of licenses issued in Hackensack.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 06:07:36 PM »
Whether or not it's a new license is no longer the issue. JAG77 is Joe Zisa our City Attorney. The question of what he is doing with this license is begging to be answered. JAG77 is a limited liability company - possibly J oe A nd G ail (Zisa) @ 77 Hudson Street. How and why he came into possession of this license needs to be answered. Any info on that, Al?

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:55:30 PM »
I have not been on this site in a while so I am not sure how Mercury Rising and Joe Zisa are related but based on the conversations regarding the liquor license, there appears to be some correlation between the two.  I do know that Mr. Fortino is planning to, or may have already submitted an application for a variance to place a 32 unit, 3 story rental property at the former Alan Party Rental site.  This is the property that was previously approved for townhouses.  This property also has a problem with contaminated soil and has remained vacant for some time.  Additionally, this property is in an R-2 zone which should only accommodate 1 and 2 family homes.  I live in this district and have expressed my concern and objection to Mr. Fortino at a meeting between Mercury Rising representatives and residents of the community.  It is my understanding that if an application for a variance is not heard within a certain amount of time, the variance can go through without approval from the zoning board.  Is this so?  Neither I nor residents in the area have received any notification from this applicant. 

Offline regina

• View Profile
Re: Liquor licenses (Split from Northern Main topic)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »
itsme
There is a provision in zoning laws for automatic approval, but it isn't really automatic. It is decided by a judge. But it would not apply in this case. Mercury Rising received approval for the townhouses 3 years ago. If they haven't filed for an extension, then they have to re-apply. I do not see a new application on the zoning agenda, but if you live within 200 feet you must get a notice when/if it is filed.
I don't know the exact connection between Mercury Rising and Joe Zisa either, but it does raise red flags for me. Maybe it's me.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:58:34 PM »
I understand that the license in question was a continuation of an existing license and that there was no increase on the number of licenses issued in Hackensack.

I don't understand why the Resolution (previously posted) and the Public Notice (below) both refer to a NEW license if it is a continuation of a previous license. There is more to this story.

Public Notice:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PUBLIC NOTICE Take notice that application has been made to the city of Hackensack at 65 Central Avenue, Hackensack, New Jersey, for a new plenary retail consumption liquor license, which will have the number of 0223-33-009-11, to be issued to Fortino, Anthony J. The person who shall hold the interest in this license shall be Anthony J. Fortino, an individual, with an address of 30 Hamilton Avenue, Atlantic Beach, New York 11509. Objections, if any, should be made immediately in writing to" Debra Heck, Municipal Clerk, City of Hackensack, 65 Central Avenue, Hackensack, NJ 07601.
May 9, 16, 2008-Fee:$31.68 (16) 2327381

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »
Also, there does not seem to be a location for this license, unless it is still valid at 206 Main, but I don't see anything saying that. He's not going to use it on Clinton or Hudson, so what's he doing with it? And did he pay the going rate? Too many questions. I cannot figure out how or why Mr. Zisa is holding this license. It was transferred to him in 2007, then that transfer was rescinded. Then there was a special ruling by State ABC and then it was transferred to Mr. Zisa again. Too, too many questions. Anybody got any answers?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22:23 PM »
OK, so we know WHO is JAG77, but where does he want to open a liquor store ???

Also, regarding the 32-unit project, there will be enormous opposition from the residents.  The Zoning allows nine 2-family houses, total of 18 units.  They applied to build 17 townhouses, and the entire basis of the application is that the townhouses would be less dense (by one unit) than the houses, that the application would remove a blighted and abandoned industrial property (Alan Party Rental), that there would be no driveways on 2nd Street, that the underground drainage system would be better built and better-managed than with houses, and that green space would be greater, and that the green space would be more meaningful and more visible, and not divided up by so many white vinyl fences. 

And even with all those fairly good and valid reasons, the residents were still completely up in arms and malcontent over it.

It's an outrage to try and squeeze 32 units on that property.  If the economy doesn't allow profit on the townhouses, let them build the nine duplex houses. Any approval to build something like the Carriage House (at Euclid, Clinton, and Pangborne) would almost certainly be appealed to Superior Court.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 07:01:43 AM »
I believe it's a consumption license, not retail - so no liquor store. Maybe a cigar bar?

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »
Seems there was a pretty big OOPS regarding this license.

There is a Resolution for renewal 9/4/07 #314-07 - "BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Hackensack that Retail Consumption License No. 0223-33-009-010 heretofore issued to Anthony Fortino, 52 First Street, Hackensack, New Jersey be issued in the City of Hackensack, effective July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008, the applicant having complied with the ordinances of the City of Hackensack and any special conditions which may be determined by the City Council, and having paid the required fees" (apparently applicant didn't comply with all the rules - see below)

There is a Resolution for transfer to JAG on 11/5/2007 #379-07 (can't find any public notice published on this)  Then there is a State ABC special ruling dated 4/21/08 regarding this license - not sure why, but could be because it might have been renewed late (allow 60 days after June 30th) and nobody realized it - not even the ultimate purchaser (our city attorney). On 5/8/08 there are two Resolutions - #164-08 rescinding renewal of this license to Fortino & #165-08 rescinding transfer of this license to JAG

5/20/08 Resolution #178-08 issuing this a "new" license - because special ruling allowed City to do so. Resolution #233-08 7/8/08 clarifies this. So in June of '08 this license is listed as in good standing (it wasn't in '07) when licenses are to be renewed. Also on 7/8/08 is Resolution #236-08 transfers this license to JAG77 - again.

So it's not a "new" license, it's been around the block a few times.