Author Topic: Kenneth Street contaminated soil dumping  (Read 5451 times)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Kenneth Street contaminated soil dumping
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:04 PM »
I happened to drive by Kenneth Street today, that's an industrial street parallel and just below Polifly Road.  I noticed that an enormous amount of dirt mixed with garbage has been dumped between the fence and a large stream or drainage ditch that parallels the street for a couple hundred feet.  The area filled is over 200 feet long and 20 feet wide, and 1 to 3 feet thick.  It's along Kenneth Street generally north of Mary Street. Evidence suggests that trucks entered the strip from its southern end to do their evil thing.   Could it be that the business there is the responsible party ? Or another contractor in the immediate neighborhood.

To call it "fill" wouldn't be accurate, because it probably 60% dirt and 40% garbage.  It's just the dirtiest and most contaminated load of dirt you could ever find.  Certainly it isn't legal, and nobody in their right mind would call it clean fill.  It's so dirty that I can't even imagine what kind of jobsite would produce this type of excavation material.

It must have been dumped within the last few months because it looks like nothing is growing on top of it.  It wasn't there last summer.  I recall that there were trees and bushes there, but they've all be axed to the ground in order to clear the land for this dumping.

And it is right along a watercourse, so who knows what kind of chemicals are leaching into the water. 

This is an absolute disgrace to the City of Hackensack.  Who has allowed this to occur, and why hasn't anything been done about it. 

Offline regina

• View Profile
Re: Kenneth Street contaminated soil dumping
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »
Did you ever find out anything about who is dumping on this property?

It is in an area of the City on the list in need of redevelopment - probably rightfully so. I just wonder if someone is dumping there to make it look worse and easier to condemn the property.

That whole area (with few exceptions), from about 1/2 way down the block from Polifly (starting across from the Stony Hill - but not the Sanzari property on the corner of Polifly & Eileen) to the railroad tracks (including S Newman) and from the dead ends to Lodi Street is on the list.

Also on the list is the rest of Newman Street from Lodi to Atlantic (to 1st & to Railroad) except for the area across Newman from McDonald's and it includes most of the block from Atlantic to Beech from 1st to Railroad. I don't know if that gives you a clear picture of how much in that area is being looked at by the City for redevelopment.

There are also several other areas of the City on the list.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Kenneth Street contaminated soil dumping
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »
I got no more information on the dumping.

I think you should start a NEW TOPIC on this website about the city's redevelopment plans.

anything