Author Topic: Name of restaurant before it was Cubby's  (Read 9525 times)

Offline henley365

• View Profile
Name of restaurant before it was Cubby's
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
Does anyone remember what the name of the restaurant was before it was Cubby's on River St?

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
Re: Name of restaurant before it was Cubby's
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »

To my knowledge it started off as Cubby's....

again to my knowledge.....I don't know  everything....

It was old man Werlies yard  along with the property accross the street...car lots, old boats, construction equiptment, trucks , trailers, etc....

There was Pete's Lunchenette which was on the same side of River street only 3  blocks north of where Cubbys sits..

Petes was good....Pete Lepera...owned it.....Wonderful Guy...he's passed on now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:18:03 PM by Chief Oratam »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:09:28 AM »

I think it opened as Cubby's sometime in the mid 1970's ?  Everyone laughed when that place opened on such a gritty "rustbelt" of a street, but his business plan was to cater to truckers, contractors, and employees.  And since it is the major north-south artery in Hackensack, there's a lot of drive-by traffic that might stop in.

Bobby Egan, the owner of Cubby's is almost a mythic figure in Hackensack.  Both for his excellent work in diplomacy with the North Korean Government, and for standing up to abuse from local authority figures.  I eat there occasionally just as a way of thanking him for his great efforts. 

I believe that Egan was the FIRST person to put forth a legal challenge against the police, boldly putting himself and his business on the line for what is right. We see now HOW MANY people are filing litigation, for all sorts of reasons.  At first, many people thought Egan was the trouble-maker, and he does have a little roughness to his personality.  But when you look at the sheer number of people filing lawsuits, one has to look objectively and say "Hey, who is the common element here".   Egan, at the time was a Hacknesack resident.  Unsure if he is still here.  Hope he is.

As for the guy across the street, I think his name was spelled Wherle. He lived on Maple Hill Drive.   Does anyone know if that property is still undergoing remediation of contamination.

I can't speak for the quality of food at Pete's Luncheonette because the place looked like a dive compared to the new restaurant there now, so I never ate there.  Wasn't there another restaurant there after Pete's, and before the current owner ?

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:03:28 PM »

As for the guy across the street, I think his name was spelled Wherle. He lived on Maple Hill Drive.   Does anyone know if that property is still undergoing remediation of contamination.

I can't speak for the quality of food at Pete's Luncheonette because the place looked like a dive compared to the new restaurant there now, so I never ate there.  Wasn't there another restaurant there after Pete's, and before the current owner ?

::)

Thanks JW I did spell Wherle wrong and you spelled it right....But then I probably spelled Lepera wrong also...

I guess you never worked at Goldberg Slipper or  Hackensack DPW... if you never ate at Pete's it was no dive, it was good working class people food.... towards the end I guess the outside needed paint... but thats about when the big change up came to the area and people started bringing their left over rice and beans to work for lunch and not frequenting local establisments...its hard to stay in business let alone paint the place when nobody is buying....Im just saying....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:05:51 PM by Chief Oratam »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 09:07:56 PM »
If I am correct, when Cubby's first opend, young Len Wehrle had a piece of the action since his father owned the property where the restaurant is.
He has really good food there; but, I had to stop going there because Bobby is half nuts. I would try and sit there in a booth with other people and he would slide into the booth with us and tell us to watch we said because the FBI, or the CIA or the intergalactic space police were out there watching the place and monitoring conversations because of his diplomatic relations with Castro, the North Vietnamese and the North Koreans.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:14:29 AM »

I'm sure he is being monitored by the Hackensack Police, the FBI, the CIA, Homeland Security, and more. 

He's not nuts to think that.  It's true. 

Doesn't mean he is doing anything wrong, just that they are watching him because of his involvement with foreign policy

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:16:52 PM »
Cubby's was great in the mid-80's when they would have their cruise nights either friday or saturday. My best friend and I would walk over and look at all the cars and watch as they peeled out leaving.  Also, the had great a great nacho platter back in the day.

anything