Author Topic: Hackensack Veterans Wall Unit, Hackensack High School  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hackensack Veterans Wall Unit, Hackensack High School
« on: August 21, 2009, 10:47:26 PM »
http://veterans.hackensackschools.org/VeteranIndex.htm

The Wall Unit today has names from every war since Hackensack High School started in 1896, starting with the Spanish American War. There are 4 names under the Spanish American War, 55 names under World War I, 1187 names under World War II, and 9 names under women of World War II, 49 names under the Korean War, 63 names under the Vietnam War, 45 names under Between Major Conflicts, 3 names under Desert Storm, and 6 names under Afghanistan and Iraq Wars, making the total number of names 1,421.

Thanks to Robert for sharing this information.

Offline Long Ago

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Hackensack Veterans Wall Unit, Hackensack High School
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
Kudos to all those who made the Veterans Wall Unit possible.  It is a fitting tribute to the heroes from Hackensack who may otherwise have been forgotten with the passage of time.

With Veterans Day just a few weeks away, I recently took another look at the Wall Unit.  I see that among Vietnam vets, the number of names has now risen from 63 to 278, assuming Ive counted correctly.  But a large percentage of these names are from a single graduating class (1964), and I was surprised to find that I recognize only two of the names on the entire memorial.  This suggests to me that there are probably quite a few names still missing.  I hope HHS continues to publicize the Wall Unit so that all of our veterans are able to be honored for their service to our country.

Offline GTSEABEE

• View Profile
HACKENSACK MILITARY VETERANS
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
        Are you a war veteran? Have family members that served in the military? Hackensack High School has a web site listing veterans from all wars from Hackensack or ties to Hackensack. From the Revolutionary War, Civil War, Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Destert Storm-Gulf War, and Afghan-Iraq Wars.  Please visit the web site and look for family or friends that served in those wars and have biographies and photos. Many of those killed in action have extensive biographies. Many of the veterans listed graduated from HHS. Know of someone not listed? Information can be sent to the admin of the site and then added. Need a photo posted? Have stories of yourself, family members or friends?

Go to the HHS website, scroll down to ENTER VETERANS WEBSITE, click on HOW IT BEGAN to learn how this project was born. Enjoy!

http://veterans.hackensackschools.org/