Author Topic: Hackensack Veterans Wall Unit, Hackensack High School  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hackensack Veterans Wall Unit, Hackensack High School
« on: August 21, 2009, 10:47:26 PM »
http://veterans.hackensackschools.org/VeteranIndex.htm

The Wall Unit today has names from every war since Hackensack High School started in 1896, starting with the Spanish American War. There are 4 names under the Spanish American War, 55 names under World War I, 1187 names under World War II, and 9 names under women of World War II, 49 names under the Korean War, 63 names under the Vietnam War, 45 names under Between Major Conflicts, 3 names under Desert Storm, and 6 names under Afghanistan and Iraq Wars, making the total number of names 1,421.

Thanks to Robert for sharing this information.

Offline Long Ago

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Hackensack Veterans Wall Unit, Hackensack High School
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
Kudos to all those who made the Veterans Wall Unit possible.  It is a fitting tribute to the heroes from Hackensack who may otherwise have been forgotten with the passage of time.

With Veterans Day just a few weeks away, I recently took another look at the Wall Unit.  I see that among Vietnam vets, the number of names has now risen from 63 to 278, assuming Ive counted correctly.  But a large percentage of these names are from a single graduating class (1964), and I was surprised to find that I recognize only two of the names on the entire memorial.  This suggests to me that there are probably quite a few names still missing.  I hope HHS continues to publicize the Wall Unit so that all of our veterans are able to be honored for their service to our country.