Author Topic: 1771-72-73, Hackensack "orphan child" receipts Hopper  (Read 3754 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
1771-72-73, Hackensack "orphan child" receipts Hopper
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
http://xrl.us/HopperOrphan

Seller's description:

Group of three 18th century handwritten receipts for Elizabeth Dempsey from Jacob Hopper, poormaster,    "New Barbadoes" (Hackensack),  New Jersey.  1771, 1772, and 1773. All Pre-revolutionary.

Receipt # 1, reads )  "New Barbadoes Feby. 26th 1773    Received of Mr. Jacob Hopper one of the Overseers of the Poor for the Province of New Barbadoes the sum of forty three shillings and nine Pence New York Currency in full for board and maintenance for an Orphan Child for one quarter of a year viz - from Novr. 20th to Feby. 20th   by me Elizabeth Dempsey, her Mark ( with hand drawn cross as her signature).

Measurement & condition : Approximately 4-3/8" by 6-1/2". Paper is age-toned as is usual, staining present as shown in pictures. Partial watermark of large crowned orb lower left. Ink is strong and readable. Small tear to upper left at top - no appreciable missing area. Lower left of document with missing area as shown in my pictures. This does not affect any writing save the bottom portion of letter"f" in the word "from". This receipt has the most detailed information and is in about the same overall condition as receipt # 2. It is likely that Elizabeth Dempsey did not write and used the simple cross as her signature.

Receipt # 2, reads)  " November the 20 : 1771 then received of Jacob Hopper poor master the sum of ten pound three shilling and nine pence by me Elbith Demsee (scribbled letter or letters next to her name, possibly an attempt at a signature, see picture).

And on the back it reads :  "Novmber the 20 : 1771 then of Jacob Hopper poor master (Receiv, ?, written above name Jacob).

Measurements & condition : Approximately 4-1/2" by 6-1/2". Partial watermark of large orb. Age-toned and stained. Ink is still strong and readable. Rough edges at bottom ; tear through top middle to just below second line of writing, running through word "then" on front and "1771" on back. Overall condition similar to receipt # 1.

Receipt # 3, reads)   Receivd. 17th March 1772 of Jacob Hopper Ten pounds three shillings and 9 Lawful money in full for 13 weeks Keeping a Poor Child                Eliz. Dimsey ( with cross signature in between).

Written on back :   " March th 21 : 1772  Jacob Hopper Recived L (pound symbol) 13 : 7 in my Care

Measurements & condition : Irregular shape is about 8" long and approximately 3-3/8" wide in the middle. Rough edges, holes ; seperations to folded areas. Ink is quite readable, though a bit more faded than the first two receipts.Fragile condition overall.

Interesting with Elizabeth Dempsey's name being spelled in different ways on each document - not unusual in that time period. New Barbadoes was an area of New Jersey that saw early settlement.

12 pictures were provided in the auction - I've posted 10 here, unaltered.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness