Author Topic: Walker Atlas, 1876, Hackensack/Cherry Hill  (Read 14517 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Walker Atlas, 1876, Hackensack/Cherry Hill
« on: November 19, 2009, 12:12:10 AM »
Walker Atlas, 1876, Hackensack/Cherry Hill

This is a 17MB .pdf file.  Please be patient when downloading.

Thanks Eric Nelson!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:17:31 PM by Editor »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Walker Atlas, 1876, Hackensack/Cherry Hill
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:33:30 PM »
Sheet #4 is interesting. Where there was an ice pond in 1876, there is now the Ice House about 200 feet behind where the pond was. As they say: "What goes around, comes around."

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:11:35 PM »
sheet 7 peaked my interest as that is the area that I grew up in. I often wondered who certain streets in my neighborhood were named after. Landowners Henry F. Kent and Edward E. Poor have streets named after them. Also looks like a John Hopper may have owned a portion of the Poor estate at one time. A street appears to be named after him. Hacking around the "net" and it looks like Kent may have been a mechanical engineer and the grandfather?? of a rather famous navel officer, Henry Kent Hewitt who was from Hackensack. Poor looks to have been a president of a bank in NYC. Interesting to note that the Poor estate looks to be located where the park behind Hillers school is. This might explain the barn/carriage house that resided in that park up until the early seventies. I believe another poster Kaffekat may have inquired about that.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:10:07 PM »
And don't forget the late and great General Enoch Poor of Revolutionary War fame. Although he was originally from New Hampshire, he died in or around Hackensack and is buried in the cemetery next to the Old Church on the Green. There are those who say he died of fever while other historians give weight to the legend that he died in a duel over a prostitute. The general's statue / monument stands in the roadway just east of the Green. Due to the fact that the statue stands looking over the  Bergen County Courthouse, old Homer gives weight to the prostitute angle.

In the late 1970's or early 1980's, the former National Tavern next to the Breslin and Breslin building on lower Main Street was replaced by General Poor's Retreat.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »
I've seen these maps once before.  Tremendous resource, glad it is online.  I wish we knew what streets were paved with cobblestones, what streets were ashes or crushed stone, and what streets were just "paper streets", meaning they were on the map, but didn't actually exist.  I suspect Third Street was one of these, also a lot of the side streets on the Cherry Hill map.

Sheet 3 is most interesting, and to read between the lines to gather information.  Even some of the smallest houses on Hudson Street have the person's name written down.  But look at all the small houses WITHOUT person's names, even where there is space to print them.  I think these were African-American residences, and the map author thought it not befitting to even mention the person's names.  See the corner of Prospect & Berry Street, same pattern, and we know for certain that those were residences of African-Americans. Other documents refer to that street corner, in this time period.

Look at the brooks running through the central part of Hackensack.  Look at how Central Ave used to angle across the railroad, I suspect it being a paper street there.

Look at how some houses on Main or State Street own land all the way to Coles brook.

Look at how few last names there are, just a handful of prominent families really owned this city.

Also of note, the boundary of the "Hackensack Commission" at times went outside of the boundaries of New Barbadoes Township, specifically the area south of Essex Street and west of Polifly Road.  Note also that the boundary of the Hackensack Commission ran straight down the middle of Fairmount Ave all the way to Coles Brook.  Meaning that "Fairmount" was only north of Fairmount Ave. Wish we had the map for that one posted online.  I've also seen it, it showed the Fairmount Hotel, the Zingsem estate, and many fine homes on Elm Ave.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
The post called "Rambling Reminiscences" in early December refers to the Thoma Jewelry factory (page 9) and the houses of employees.  Also that there was nothing else built on the hill except the Conklin farmhouse. 

According to the author, Eugene Bird:  "The dwellings for the jewelry factory were moved down to the east side of the hill to what is now Third Street and remodeled into acceptable residences". 

This is what local legend says, despite those cynics who have wondered if I knew what I was talking about.  Now, for the first time I've seen it in writing.

As for the 5 duplex houses and one single house, they have all been knocked down, the last one was only a few years ago.  As recently as the 1980's, all five duplexes were standing.  They were on the west side of Third Street generally near Clay Street.  3 of the lots are parking for Quail Heights II, one has a new duplex on it, and one is vacant and probably planned for a new duplex.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:35:07 PM by Editor »

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:27:29 PM »

This might be of interest to some....
on page 3-

Block # 5 Hudson st, between Franklin and Frederick sts.......

Is JP Seilheimer soda works..(which was around until the 80's).....they used water to make their Seltzer and Soda from their own ground well....and just 100 feet away accross Water st is the Gas Works (which is now PSE&G) where in earlier days they somehow crushed coal to make gas for the gas lamps on the streets and in houses....and in the process of doing so that property was so contaminated that PSE&G just spent millions cleaning the site.....

earlier this year there was a story in the Bergen Record about how poluted it was....

Maybe there was a secret ingredient in the water that made the Seltzer and Soda so good.....I drank plenty of it in my day....they had home delivery with the side saddle trucks....

If you do a google search of Seilheimer you can see some bottle caps and old porcelain soda shop signs....highly collectable to some.....in the early 90's I through away a few wooden case's with empty bottles....seltzer and soda....If only I had future vision

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
Oh, that's called coal gasification.   I never knew it was done a hundred years ago.

Maybe they could have bought the soda works and used some of  the gas as fizz for the soda.  That's called vertically integrating your market....lol

Coal gasification is all the rage now in Popular Mechanics and other techy magazines.  Now they think they have a new way do it with "minimal" emissions of toxic gases.  And that America has enough coal to last us 1000 years.   Sounds like a mistake to me, PSE&G had the right idea to phase it out.

Coal gasification --- just say NO.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »

Thats what I was suggesting...that the fizz might have been from the polution....

Just Watching heres a link to the story and a snip-it..

Its an interesting read with pictures......

snip~“Crime was a major concern in the 1800s, and streetlights cut that down. It represented a big improvement in the quality of life,” said Bruce Preston, the manager of environmental projects for PSE&G who oversees the cleanup program. “Unfortunately some of the tar byproduct was deposited around the plants. It’s a legacy and liability we want to get off the books.”

Working in a gas works was difficult and dangerous. Fires and explosions were not uncommon. Making the gas also produced wastes.

Burned at high temperatures, the coal produced coke, a useful clean-burning fuel that could be resold. The process also generated coal tar, which included cancer-causing benzene. Depending on where it had been mined, the coal could also carry heavy metals, such as arsenic.
~Snip

http://www.northjersey.com/news/PSEG_to_spend_nearly_12B_to_clean_up_former_gas_plant_sites.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:37:01 PM by Chief Oratam »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 12:30:55 AM »
I think the remediation project extends onto the property to the south.  And it is holding up construction of about 90 luxury townhouses. Can anyone confirm this.

Offline RPOZ51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »
And don't forget the late and great General Enoch Poor of Revolutionary War fame. Although he was originally from New Hampshire, he died in or around Hackensack and is buried in the cemetery next to the Old Church on the Green. There are those who say he died of fever while other historians give weight to the legend that he died in a duel over a prostitute. The general's statue / monument stands in the roadway just east of the Green. Due to the fact that the statue stands looking over the  Bergen County Courthouse, old Homer gives weight to the prostitute angle.

In the late 1970's or early 1980's, the former National Tavern next to the Breslin and Breslin building on lower Main Street was replaced by General Poor's Retreat.

Actually, I believe Enoch Poor was born in Andover, MA although he later moved to New Hampshire.

http://www.hackensack.org/controls/eventview.aspx?MODE=SINGLE&ID=93

http://www.nh.gov/nhdhr/publications/warheroes/poor.html