General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Historic Buildings - Where were they?

(1/2) > >>

Editor:
I will supplement this message from time to time.  Please let me know if you recognize these buildings or can tell me where they stood.

Elks Club House:

Bergen County Children's Home:

You can find other images like this here: Historic Images of Hackensack

prospectgirl:

When I was a small child the Children's home was located on the lower part of Essex Street, I believe. It was very far from the road and was on the lower side of the hill opposite the old hospital building. Just above the Home on the hill, but a bit closer to the road was a large family-owned funeral home that I remember at the time of my uncle's death(1952).I have not lived in NJ for 50 years, but I think it is the same property,if not the same structure.

irons35:
the BC childrens home is in the same location today, 125 Essex St.  Rocciola's is the funeral home, at 119 Essex. it was torn down 5 years ago to build a mid rise

prospectgirl:

Would anyone remember the NAME of the FAMILY who owned the funeral home in 1952, next to the Children's Home on Essex?         I thought that children from that family were classmates of my siblings? Nevertheless, I am not quite sure of  my memory of them. Maybe my impressions are coming from the time  of the death of my very young uncle. Somehow, I seem to remember spending time at that property, aside from the obvious purpose, and it seems to have been connected to my younger brother, perhaps scouting. Does anyone recall who sold grave blankets, and where, at that time?

Thank you

irons35:
Rocciola.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version