Author Topic: Historic Buildings - Where were they?  (Read 12164 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Historic Buildings - Where were they?
« on: April 11, 2004, 11:13:03 PM »
I will supplement this message from time to time.  Please let me know if you recognize these buildings or can tell me where they stood.

Elks Club House:

Bergen County Children's Home:

You can find other images like this here: Historic Images of Hackensack
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 12:01:13 PM by Editor »

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Buildings - Where were they?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:32:50 AM »

When I was a small child the Children's home was located on the lower part of Essex Street, I believe. It was very far from the road and was on the lower side of the hill opposite the old hospital building. Just above the Home on the hill, but a bit closer to the road was a large family-owned funeral home that I remember at the time of my uncle's death(1952).I have not lived in NJ for 50 years, but I think it is the same property,if not the same structure.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
the BC childrens home is in the same location today, 125 Essex St.  Rocciola's is the funeral home, at 119 Essex. it was torn down 5 years ago to build a mid rise

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »

Would anyone remember the NAME of the FAMILY who owned the funeral home in 1952, next to the Children's Home on Essex?         I thought that children from that family were classmates of my siblings? Nevertheless, I am not quite sure of  my memory of them. Maybe my impressions are coming from the time  of the death of my very young uncle. Somehow, I seem to remember spending time at that property, aside from the obvious purpose, and it seems to have been connected to my younger brother, perhaps scouting. Does anyone recall who sold grave blankets, and where, at that time?

Thank you

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:51:08 PM »
Rocciola.

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
Thank you...

Although the name Rocciola is familiar to me, I could not remember it from own memories.

What about the name Mr. Conklin? Could he have been affiliated with the Children's Home. In his later years my maternal grandfather worked at Hackensack's Public Service and somehow from that connection, he knew a Mr.Conklin. In my mind I have that wired to the Children's Home. If he is not connected, might you know the name of the administrator of the Children's Home in the 1950's.

Oh, do you know if the Rocciola's did sell grave blankets?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »
The Conklin family has deep roots in Hackensack.  I always assumed that the children's home was named after Edna B. Conklin.  She was a locally-famous Republican politician on the state level (either State Senator or Assemblyman), back when Republicans were the liberal party, the party of Lincoln.

She was active in both Hackensack and Englewood. At one point had posters plastered all over the Carolina's and Georgia encouraging people to come North to both Bergen County cities.

Editor, if you check George Scudder's history of Hackensack, the unpublished version, he talks in detail about the Elk's club. 

Scudder talk about it's origins, how it dominated the social and political scene in Hackensack, and how it was one of the largest and most successful Elk's lodges in the United States. He talk about how it spurred the opening of Elk's lodges all over Bergen County, and then how it declined when Hasbrouck Heights, Rutherford, and other towns opened their own Elk's lodges. I recall from talking to him before he passed, and that he was quite bitter that almost all the information about the fraternal organizations in Hackensack was edited out of his printed history of Hackensack.  He considered all those groups to be the heart of soul of the community, and he stated to me that history was done a great injustice by removing the text. 

I'm sure his writings contain information on where it was.  I know it went through at least 3 locations.  Unsure of the 1st, but the second was an enormous complex on the west side of Union Street midway between Berry and Passaic (now the parking lot of 370 Park Street), and the 3rd location was a much smaller 1-story storefront on Linden Street just south of Anderson Street.  Could be that the first lodge was torn down to build the second, and if not, I'm sure it wasn't more than a few blocks away.

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 09:07:55 PM »

Wow, JW, I'm impressed at your knowledge. Indeed, I remember my grandfather telling stories of his friend Mr. Conklin. Somehow, I believe Mr. Conklin is also connected to the Public Service company or its building. My grandfather shared a regular connection with him. Do you know Mr.Conklin's first name? Perhaps they were generational cohorts as well, as my grandfather was born in 1884.I am still trying to reassemble fragments of other pieces in my memory. Each new piece jostles a new fragment. Thank you for your kind help.

Also, would the edited portions of Mr. Scudder’s Elk’s Club writings have been kept somewhere else that you, Mr. Editor, may know of?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 10:15:23 PM »
Mr. Scudder's materials are available here: http://www.hackensacknow.org/index.php/topic,882.0.html. Each file is keyword searchable in Adobe Acrobat.

I'll take a minute to express great appreciation for these two works which, I feel, contribute a great deal to the city's historic record.  Mr. Scudder wrote with a captivating, simple elegance. When I read his accounts, I'm drawn back in time.

Of the Elks, Mr. Scudder writes:

The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks
The order of Elks is an old organization that began in New York City about the of
the 1800's. On February 15, 1901, at a meeting held in the Odd Fellows Hall at 153 Main
Street, a local order of Elks was organized. The Grand Lodge identified the lodge as
#658 and it became famous for its benevolent and charitable work beneffiing crippled
children and other causes. Men of distinction fiom all over Bergen County joined. The
clubhouse was located on the northwest comer of State and Garnewell Streets. It was an
imposing structure and they made it even more so with improvements and additions. As
a boy I walked past the building many times, admiring the building and the grand
appearance of its members who were dressed in the height of fashion - hard straw hat,
white flannel trousers, blue jacket and two tones shoes. Little did I ever dream that some
day I would become a member or that I would ever be considered "Elk of the Yearn.
In 1929 it was decided that new and larger facilities were needed. A new building was
constructed at 375 Union Street that was the envy of every Elks Club in the country.
New Lodges were being organized in other towns in Bergen County causing a reduction
in the local membership. As a result the Hackensack Lodge sold its building on Union
Street and moved to smaller quarters on Linden Street where they still enjoy good
fellowship with fellow members and guests.

Historic Facts about Hackensack, page 13.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:22:21 PM by Editor »

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:58:20 PM »
Thank you sir...
Do you think membership records for the early years of the Elk's Club (1900 through 1950') might still be available?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:36:42 AM by prospectgirl »

anything