Author Topic: Masonic Temple (State and Warren)  (Read 53941 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: Masonic Temple (State and Warren)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
"THE GREEN"?
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »
Looks like the park designers didn't do a lot of research on the Downtown area. One "Green" per town is enough.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 11:49:50 AM »
Go to Newark, NYC, Philly: Cities dotted with open spaces.  They are everywhere.

What this does:

1. Ties-in the Cultural Arts Center with Main Street (aesthetically and functionally).   
2. Creates potential for more and better outdoor artistic/cultural programming in connection with the new facility. 
3. Promotes the "Green Urban Corridor" which would extend from the Medical Center all the way to the River. See Report here.
4. Adds needed recreational space in a growing downtown.

This project does not take away any parking spaces.  All spaces are preserved or transferred to nearby locations.

Hackensack is competing with real estate markets that offer great downtowns with PLENTY of open space within a short walking distance.  Where would you rather live? In a neighborhood with great open spaces or one without?

Bob- It's nice living across the street from a Park, right? People use it all the time. Right?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:55:33 AM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
Bob- It's nice living across the street from a Park, right? People use it all the time. Right?

It sounds nice to say that there's a park across the street from where you live, but I think you know that Anderson Park is not all smiles and happiness.

Honestly, except for that photographer who takes an occasional picture there, I've never seen a single resident of my building doing anything in that park except perhaps using it as a slight diagonal shortcut to walk to somewhere else.

On the plus side, however, no one calls it "The Green".
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
Bob: Driving past the park everyday to/from work, I see mothers with strollers, older couples sitting on benches, kids running around the fountain.  I get calls when the fountain is not on.  It's used.  Trust me, if it was converted into a parking lot tomorrow, there'd be an uproar.  No park is without its problems.  It doesn't mean we live without parks. 

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 03:47:10 PM »
Oh, the park is definitely used..............just not so much by people who live across the street from it - probably because it's just something that's always THERE. If I lived 3 blocks away surrounded by nothing but housing, it might be a destination. I have nothing against parks.

Are you lumping me in with those who are opposed to the Cultural Center project? I have no problem with it.

I was just wondering if you knew any local historians who might raise an eyebrow at part of it being labeled as "The Green".

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
There are three or four apartment complexes that border the park. My guess is many residents like to sit outside and chat at various times.  It also get used by walking-patrons of businesses on Anderson Street. 

I think The Record added the words "The Green" in their graphic.  In the drawing I have from the architect, it says "Grass Area".  Interesting.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:30:43 PM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 07:18:27 PM »
The new park is a good idea, and I'm glad it survived after the funds were once redirected to fill potholes. It's one little part of the equation, including the new cultural arts center, to make downtown and vicinity attractive to young urban professionals who otherwise live in NYC, or move to Hoboken, the JC Waterfront, Montclair, and a few other destination communities. 

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »
Ol' Homer is for the park BUT the City damn well better use it, patrol it and maintain it otherwise it will be a black eye on the City's redevelopment efforts. A lot of people will be watching this one closely.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:02 PM »
Point well taken.

On a recent trip to Military Park in Newark, I noticed that their downtown business improvement district maintains the park.  They are responsible for tables, chairs, umbrellas, ping pong tables, Book-rack/share, watering of flowers, etc.  That may be a good model for us. 

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »
It's never too early to start exploring options here. The City Council will be starting to put together budget numbers pretty soon for next year so..........

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
Interesting article. I know Bryant Park well; but, it is impossible to compare the location of the park and the surrounding daytime population with Hackensack.
The principal and the company have done a lot of work in New Jersey including Teaneck, Englewood and Bayonne.
Might be worth talking to representatives of these towns about what they have learned. Maybe somebody should talk to this firm and see what they could recommend for this park area. Perhaps CDBG funds could be channeled here or County Economic Development funds since they already have a financial investment in the project.
Next summer isn't that far away and the City hast to be ready to go as soon as the park is completed.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 11:56:57 PM »
I need to make an important observation:  This facility has no backstage area.  ZERO. NOTHING.  A major rear addition will be needed

I was inside this buidling today after "Make a Difference Day", and I took an unauthorized peak upstairs.  I was interested in the floor plan of the main room, the stage, the backstage, and main seating area.  When I was in college, I worked as a stage hand at a performing arts center. I helped with props and calibrating the lights, and I even worked the shows.  I have some knowledge on these needs.

With this facility, there is nowhere to build props, store props and set up props, there is nowhere for a backstage changing rooms and restrooms specifically designated for the artists, there is nowhere for a control room for the theatre lighting system that is surely to be installed, there is nowhere for a sound system or setup area for any outside sound systems brought in by the artists, and the biggest problem is there is no loading dock connected to the backstage area.  As I see it, this building is going to need a rear addition with at least a 1500 sf footprint (30 x 50) if this is ever going to be any kind of cultural arts center. That 1500 sf footprint means 1500 sf on the first floor AND 1500 sf on the second floor where it is really needed, total of 3,000 sf.  And the logistics will have to include a driveway to Warren Street or Atlantic Street long enough for a big truck, leading to a loading dock that will be part of the addition.  I guess the loading dock will have to be closer to one corner of the building, and the addition will be an irregular shape to include the loading dock.  And then some kind of wide staircase leading upstairs to the main hall to move equipment. Or perhaps a work elevator. It won't be perfect or pretty, but it will be functional.  I don't see the addition costing less than $600,000, and maybe much more. And there's a need for a few parking spots in the back, for the smaller trucks and vans associated with the performers, which will be unloading all sorts of stuff.

In addition, the bathrooms for visitors that are in the front of the second floor are woefully deficient and small, and since space is a premium, these will have to be moved to the lower level. The whole building is going to need sprinkler system, and probably major electrical work.  And the rear addition will need to have TWO emergency exits, one in each corner, each leading to a separate staircase.  There is no way that this facility is going to open without rear emergency exits, due to fire codes.  So there is a 100% chance of some kind of construction work on the rear side of the building.

On the plus side, the tall roof/ceiling in the main room will allow for some upper level seating if the city desires to construct it, and there is plenty of space to make a movie-control room above the 2nd floor entrance hallway.  There could be showings of movies for the community here.  We don't have a movie theatre, but this use can be incorporated here.

The need for a rear addition is going to have to be considered now, so that the PARK can be planned correctly.  Otherwise you'll be cutting into the park in the future to expand the building and parking for the "show" vehicles.  So let's get this right, folks.  A couple million is going to be spent here, for everything.  Basically what you have is the shell of a building, as far as the Arts center floor is concerned, without the needed backstage area.  Not sure what the city plans for the lower level.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:26:59 AM by just watching »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 01:12:28 AM »
I understand the cost to do most of the above is about $1.5M but it does not need to happen all at once.  Yes, fire-code compliance is a must and that's expensive.  But once that's covered, we may be able to do smaller-scale theater production and musical concerts for bigger audiences on the second floor.  The first floor can be used now.  Bigger productions will need a proper back-stage. 

The Upper Main Alliance is working with ArtsBergen and others to establish a volunteer "Creative Team".  That group will eventually formulate several strategies to bring arts and culture to the downtown.  My hope is that one of those strategies will include fundraising that will allow the new space to develop over time, as it is being used

I like the idea of screening movies there.  The Fort Lee Film Commission uses Fort Lee High School but that's not near their downtown. 

But yes, a lot needs to happen before that space achieves its full potential.  Stay tuned.

Related post: http://www.hackensacknow.org/index.php/topic,2951.msg9923.html#msg9923
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:22:04 AM by Editor »

anything