Author Topic: 1951 Brownson HS Yearbook (Holy Trinity)  (Read 12977 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
1951 Brownson HS Yearbook (Holy Trinity)
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
http://xrl.us/Brownson1951

Seller can't spell the school name.

Seller's description:

This is a Browson High School yearbook titled Trinitarian from 1951. The school is located in Hackensack, New Jersey. There are great pictures of the class, activities, clubs & organizations and this yearbook would be a great addition to any collection! There are also some advertisements in the back of the yearbook. This yearbook is in overall good to very good condition showing some signs of wear due to age, including some wear and discoloration to the outer covers; also there is a small stain along the right hand edge (this stain does not alter or effect any of the class portraits.

I just like the pictures and ads.

In the next-to-last picture, there's an ad for Edward A. Purcell & Co. His son, Edward Purcell, was in my class in Holy Trinity School.

Egad! Monsignor Burke! I remember him.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1951 Brownson HS Yearbook (Holy Trinity)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:19:45 AM »

Is that the school that is currently a parking lot across from Holy Trinity church.  I was unaware that it was a high school.

Why was that school torn down, the building has such amazing architecture.  To be replaced by a "box" diagonally across the street.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:26:25 AM »
Is that the school that is currently a parking lot across from Holy Trinity church.  I was unaware that it was a high school.

That's the one. It was Holy Trinity School and a high school. I attended HTS there from grades 1-4 and then the new school opened in 1957.

It must not have been much of a high school when I was there. I don't remember anything about that aspect of the building.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »
Hi Mr. Leafe...

The high school was located in the basement of HTS. As I remember it, there existed two entry points, which I remember from civil defense drills. One entrance was to the immediate left of the cafeteria sales tables, and  just beyond the girls' and boys' restrooms stood a portentous set of double doors. Somberly, we would file through, two abreast in total calm and silence. Younger students were handed off one- by- one to a high school student, who on command from Sister Claire was ordered to duck with the child under one of many large wooden desks. There we remained in dead quiet in an attempt to shelter ourselves from the impending threat of nuclear doom- so frightening. Ironically, those fearful images are wildly mixed with other pleasant ones. Indeed, just recalling the setting evokes the memory of the tantalizing lunchroom smells of hot dogs on soft buns and cold tuna sandwiches rising aloft to our classrooms as our lunchtime neared! 

BTW...Another jolt from the past prompts me to ask, weren't we all confirmed by the magnificent Monsignor Burke? 

Your contributions are priceless to me...thank you...

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:40:46 AM »

Which was the Monsignor that was left or was removed after accusations of being a pedophile and abusing young children at Holy Trinity.  I think that was in the 1980's.   Or was that the Principal of the school. 

Does anyone have information on that.  And also whether or not he was convicted or found innocent.

Offline Long Ago

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »
I attended school at HTS for three years during the 1950s, and while there I knew a priest who was later accused of molesting an underage schoolgirl.  Most of my friends knew this priest, as he would often mingle with the students during our lunch hour.  Like other problem priests, however, he was never held accountable for his transgressions by the church.  He was simply transferred to other parishes and allowed to continue doing what he did.

Eventually the law caught up with him, but unfortunately it didn’t happen until over 30 years had passed when he was then elderly and retired.  The church settled his case by paying a substantial amount of money to a few of his latest victims.

According to the movie Spotlight, it was estimated that about 6% of priests in any archdiocese were probably pedophiles.