Author Topic: 2010 School Board Election  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
2010 School Board Election
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:43:09 AM »
School board candidates make their pitch
Friday, April 16, 2010
BY MARK J. BONAMO
Hackensack Chronicle
MANAGING EDITOR

HACKENSACK — Now is not the most fortuitous time to be running for a school board seat in New Jersey. Last month, Gov. Chris Christie announced a proposed budget that cuts school aid by almost $820 million, a move designed to diminish an $11 billion state budget deficit. In Hackensack alone, school aid is scheduled to drop from nearly $14.9 million to close to $10.7 million, an approximately 28.5 percent cut.

It is with this budgetary sword of Damocles hanging over Hackensack’s head that six school board candidates assembled at the Nellie K. Parker School auditorium on April 12 to make their appeal to voters before the April 20 election.

The six candidates are seeking to fill three seats on the 10-member board. Victory will mean a three-year term for those elected.

Hackensack residents will also be voting or whether to approve the schools budget for the next fiscal year. The proposed budget stands at nearly $84.9 million, down from last year’s $85.2 million budget.

Meet the candidates

This year’s candidates are divided into two equal groups. Incumbents Frank Albolino and Modesto Romero are running on a slate with Jesus Galvis. Albolino, 64, is a credit manager. Romero, 47, is a county transportation supervisor and business owner. Galvis, 62, works for the county sheriff’s department in the community outreach unit and is also a business owner.

The other group of three candidates is running under the umbrella name of Hackensack United. The slate is composed of Frances Cogelja, Clarissa Gilliam Gardner and Rhonda Williams Bembry. Cogelja, 39, is a homemaker. Gilliam Gardner is a human resources consultant, and Williams Bembry, 49, is a supervisor for the United States Postal Service.

Class size, cut effects discussed

After opening statements, the candidates were all presented with the same written questions selected from the audience of approximately 50 people.

Several questions focused on issues of particular concern to residents and board members alike. One query focused on whether pre-kindergarten classes, which are non-mandated curriculum offerings, will survive potential budget cuts.

"Pre-K is in the budget for the next school year, and it’s not going to change," said Albolino, the school board president. "There are no plans to cut pre-K."

"I certainly hope that pre-K will not be cut, because I have a little girl starting pre-K in the fall," said Cogelja. "I believe that our current administration and teachers firmly believe that pre-K needs to be a mandatory part of our school system."

Another concern raised here and evidenced at recent school board meetings and the candidates’ forum was class sizes, which many parents, teachers and administrators fear might mushroom if the proposed state budget is passed as presented.

"I strongly believe in small class sizes so that our children have the attention that they deserve," said Gilliam Gardner, adding that any redistricting effort should take ensuring small class sizes into account.

"Keeping small classes are beneficial for the teacher and the student," Romero said. His running mate Albolino added that "small class sizes is the key to education," and that concerns among Fairmount School parents that their children’s classes are larger than the other elementary schools in the district will "have to be addressed" in the near future.

At the evening’s close, candidates’ forum moderator Marie Quinn, a Hackensack native who served as the Bergen County PTA president, spoke about what lies ahead for any school board member elected in her hometown or anywhere in New Jersey in the current budgetary climate.

"We all have to get used to having less of everything, and not just in education," said Quinn, a Rochelle Park resident. "We’re all cutting back. It’s not easy right now. We all need to sacrifice."

E-mail: bonamo@northjersey.com

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: 2010 School Board Election
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:14:28 AM »
2010 School Elections: Hackensack
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Last updated: Wednesday April 21, 2010, 12:06 AM
BY MONSY ALVARADO
The Record
STAFF WRITER

City residents backed the school district’s $63.7 million tax levy and elected three to the school board.

The tax levy, which passed 1,318 to 812, represents a 4 percent increase over the current year’s levy.

Under the budget, a taxpayer living in a house assessed at the city average of $330,100 would pay $3,499 in school taxes, an increase of $132.

District officials reduced the overall $85.98 million budget, which is down $145,780 from the current school year’s budget. State aid to the district’s schools was cut by $4.26 million.

Superintendent of Schools Edward Kliszus said a reduction in clubs and athletics is expected but that no final decision on specific programs has been made. He said the district has also suspended major textbook replacements, professional development and non-mandated summer programs, and reduced supplies and maintenance expenditures.

The three elected to the board are newcomer Clarissa Gilliam Gardner, who received the most votes with 1,115; incumbent Frank Albolino, who received 1,091 votes; and Rhonda Williams Bembry, who served on the school board previously, with 1,065 votes.

Defeated were Modesto Romero and Jesus Galvis, who received 1,052 votes and 1,018 votes, respectively. Frances Cogelja received 985 votes.

HACKENSACK SCHOOL BUDGET AT A GLANCE
     2009-10    2010-11    % change
Budget    $86,127,490    $85,981,710    -0.17

Tax levy:
   $61,239,258    $63,715,174    4.04
State aid:    $14,944,041    $10,688,799    -28.47

School tax rate per $100 assessed value:
   $1.02    $1.06    3.92
Average school tax bill*:    $3,367.02    $3,499.06    3.92
*For a home assessed at $330,100, the municipality's average.

Services affected

Textbook replacements, professional development, non-mandated summer programs, supplies and maintenance expenditures.

NJ Voters Reject 59 Percent Of School Budgets
(But not Hackensack)

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
Re: 2010 School Board Election
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »

Only 14.1 % of registered voters showed to vote...We get what we deserve...I guess..

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a budget ...But this asking for more this year than last year cycle has to stop....

And I agree with Christie, Teachers have to start contributing a potion for benefits and other changes need to be made...

It's my understanding a part time lunch room monitor can draw a pension or a partial pension .....

Times are tough cant keep raising taxes....

and how about the cops $110,000.00 a year + then $65.00 an hour to sit in a running city cop car, doing side work at a ultility work location... some taking down $200,000.00 a year.... they can pay for their bene's also...we pay that $65.00 an hour in higher ultility rates.... and our taxes pay for the vehicle and insurance's if officer get's hurt or engine wears out running the car A/C for 10 hours in 90 degree weather..

Wouldn't want to begrudge the cops anything...it's a dangerous job...but when is enough ....ENOUGH... something has to give...

NorthJersey.com: Tallying the costs for one city 

http://www.northjersey.com/news/91330749_Tallying_the_costs_for_one_city.html?page=all

I should have been a cop at 200 grand a year...thats a million in 5 years....

I work in the Private sector for a fortune 50 company, and I pay a good portion towards my benefits....

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:55:03 PM by Chief Oratam »