Author Topic: Expressway to cut thru City's heart! (1955)  (Read 6427 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Expressway to cut thru City's heart! (1955)
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:04:28 PM »
While I was looking at the microfiche at the Johnson Library for info about the Holy Trinity polio shots, I copied a couple of relevant pages.

I've just had a chance to look at what else was on those pages. One told of the high concern in Hackensack and Maywood regarding "the Bergen County Expressway" (which I think was later called "the Bergen-Passaic Expressway" and, ultimately, Route 80).

Supposedly, it was to cut through both towns just north of the Susquehanna tracks - specifically, in the vicinity of Central Avenue.

Speculators were trying to buy up property along that street in Maywood while hundreds of people met at the Hackensack Civic Center.

These adjacent articles were on the front page of The Bergen Evening Record on April 21, 1955. The Hackensack article continues on another page, which I don't have.

Hard to believe that anyone thought that was a good place for a highway.

(click on the image to enlarge)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:07:10 PM by BLeafe »

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Expressway to cut thru City's heart! (1955)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »

There were other routes considered.  Let's be honest about this, the current route is too far south and has improper interchanges.

There is no direct interchange for River Street, instead users have to get off WEST of Hudson Street and make their way over. It brings traffic deep into the neighborhood setting.  This is because there isn't enough land between River Street and the river and because they made the bridge way too tall.   Choosing which parts of the First Ward were to be torn down was a very controversial and politicized event, and it put mayors and councilpersons into office.  Someone named Bosshard on Water Street became a Councilman, and both of our Polish mayors came out of this controversy.  Most of this controversy has been lost to history, not preserved and documented.

Opposition in Bogota and Ridgefield Park to the project far stronger than in Hackensack because so many more houses would be affected, and those towns refused to be chopped in half.  It was decided to run Route 80 along the border of Ridgefield Park and Bogota, and not to chop through the Hillers neighborhood in Hackensack.  That neighborhood also refused to be chopped in half and there were additional costs that would have resulted from blasting through a major hill.  Those decisions, and federal guidelines on how much a highway can BEND limited the options on where the highway would come through Hackensack and South Hackensack.

There was a big push for Route 80 to come about 2 blocks north of where it does now. Water Street and Pink Street would have been affected.  That lined up with the border of Bogota and Ridgefield Park.  There could have been a cloverleaf on River Street and it would have been closer to serve downtown Hackensack. 

Just as many houses would have been torn down for that plan instead of what was actually built. But since those houses on Washington and Jackson and the other streets haven't been around for a good 50 years, nobody misses them now. How dare I suggest that other houses should have been torn down instead.  When it came to this project, they really blew it.

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Expressway to cut thru City's heart! (1955)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »
interesting article and discussion. I remember houses being torn down on Mary street to make way for 80. Construction for 80 facilitated the discovery of the mammoth/mastodon behind what used to be an Esso station on Polifly Rd. Here's a link to another site re: 80 that has some interesting info.

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-80_NJ/