General Category > Hackensack History

Old Candy stores

<< < (3/5) > >>

Chief Oratam:

There was a Candy Store at the top of Essex St...... called Breslow's....that I remember....

What a treasure trove, it was a luncheonette & they sold toys, candy, models, newspapers, mags, stationary goods, hardware items and much more.....this was the 60's and early to mid 70's.....(my memories)

I'm sure it was three in the 40's and 50's also...

It was in between Hill Top Liquors and the old Shop Rite that was there...

Top of the Hill:
About time somebody mentioned Breslow's. For a while I thought this site was just gonna become about the "flatlanders" in Hackensack.  :laugh: Chief, you summed up Breslows best, "treasure trove". Used to ride my stingray bike there to buy baseball cards, wrestling magazines, balsa gliders and rubber band wind up planes, "pinky" Spaulding balls to play curb or stoop ball.... buy a soda at the counter and get the cone paper insert cup in the metal holder. Breslows was old school. The awning out front that cranked open, the newspaper racks out front with the bricks used as paper weights.  Used to steal the shopping carts from Shop Rite to deliver our newspapers. 

johnny g:
Breslow's must have been before my time, but it sounds like the kind of place I would have liked!

Chief Oratam:
Johnny g,  I remember a candy store on Hudson St. a little south of Kennedy St.

It was ran by a guy Named Louie....nice guy, I used to stop there for Cigarettes and things in the 70's & 80's....I know it was his Mothers before he got it ....Tessie's

johnny g:
Oh yes, Louie and Gina...Louie and my dad were good friends from the time we moved there till my dad passed away. My dad and a whole crew of guys used to hang out there on saturday afternoons, eat sandwiches in the back, watch sports, etc.
They were great people...I didn't realize that Tessie was his mom, that was before my time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version