Author Topic: Old Candy stores  (Read 31022 times)

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Old Candy stores
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:43:46 AM »
Hello again, does anyone remember the little market on Jackson Ave. right off of Hudson Street by Costa Bros? Or the candy store on Hudson by the corner of Kennedy, at one time it was called "Tessie's"

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Old Candy stores
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »
There is a clue in this topic: "Memories of the Icehouse Gang"

(mentions a woman named Tessie who lived on Hudson)

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:40:39 AM »
That had to be the woman who had the store...i don't remember exactly what the address was but I lived a few doors down from there. Another one was a little store on the corner of Broadway and New St....i think the proper name was Broadway deli but everyone called it Vic's.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:28 AM »
Here's one that's really old: Bogert's Candy Kitchen.

Growing up in the 70's and 80's, I would go to Aimees on Anderson or Fonti's on Main Street.  The ice cream truck (still in our neighborhood) was also great for candy.

Once in a while, we'd take the trek to Rocklin's in Teaneck.

Offline HHS72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:22:14 AM »
In the 60's there was Jack's Candy Store at Poplar on the East side of the tracks. My Uncle told me of another Store at the North end of Main St (east side), on a small plot of land just off the  exit of Rt 4 (there's a for sale sign there now, who knows what could  fit on it). When there was a Lake for swimming and ice skating I gather this was the place to go.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »
The lake was probably Zabriskie's Pond.  George Scudder mentions the candy story in his Fairmount 1915 paper.

Just a 100 feet or less from the Coles Brook, northern property line, Grand Avenue jutted off at about a 45 degree angle to the right and continued to Hackensack Avenue, a block over the railroad track . This left a triangular piece of land bounded by Main Street on one side, Grand Avenue on the other and Coles Brook on the north and easterly side. It was on this small triangular plot that the building promoters, who were trying to sell and develop this area, built a small real estate office. The name was either Hageman or Jermain. In later years this became a candy, soda and general refreshment store, operated at various periods of time by Browns, Thompsons, Westervelts, Youakims, Roogs. This area became known as "The End" because it was here that the trolley car line ended and the motorman would pull down the pole from the one end of the trolley and release the pole on the other end and guide the pulley onto the electric wire (Photo 7A).  At this point, to the left could be viewed Zabriskie's Pond, (photo #8) this picture used on Society of Fairmount Friends letterhead, with its spillway dam on the southern end and on the northern end the whell gate for opening and closing the pond. In the distant on the north shore, about in line with where Lakeview Street is in River Edge, was the remains of a once well used ice house. (Photo #9 of sluiceway).
(page 10 of the .pdf)

And another candy store:

Proceeding north on the east side of Main, where Johnson Avenue now terminates and where a bank now stands, was Burlews Heal Estate office., (see photo # 4) followed by two houses and then tennis courts, then a couple of more houses and Kippels candy store in an old house on the southeast corner of Main and Voorhis. I remember, as a child, it was quite a few steps up the front, porch to get into the candy store. (page 5 of the .pdf)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:14:49 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:59 PM »
Johnnyg: Someone in the know tells me that "Pizza's" was the one on Jackson Avenue.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »
hmmmm...i'm not sure we're talking about the same one (or maybe it was called that at one time). the one i'm thinking of was right after Costa Bros, close to the corner of Lodi St i believe (or maybe closer to Pink St.) it was seen in the movie Jersey Girl, as the 3 girls walked out to Jackson Ave from behind it. if i remember correctly it had Pepsi decals all over the bottom of the building.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »

the movie Jersey Girl,

Never saw this Movie....i'll have to keep an eye open for it...Just to see the scenes you speak of Johnny G.....

But I must admit it dosn't sound like my type of movie from the title......

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:43:39 AM »
There was a movie made a few years ago with the same title...the one i'm speaking of came out in the early 90's and starred Jami Gertz. It's a "silly love story" (not my kind of film either) but as a Hackensack resident it's fun to see all the old places.
I happened to be coming home one night and saw all the commotion going on over on Lodi St and got to see a scene get filmed, so that was fun.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:33:55 PM »

There was a Candy Store at the top of Essex St...... called Breslow's....that I remember....

What a treasure trove, it was a luncheonette & they sold toys, candy, models, newspapers, mags, stationary goods, hardware items and much more.....this was the 60's and early to mid 70's.....(my memories)

I'm sure it was three in the 40's and 50's also...

It was in between Hill Top Liquors and the old Shop Rite that was there...

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »
About time somebody mentioned Breslow's. For a while I thought this site was just gonna become about the "flatlanders" in Hackensack.  :laugh: Chief, you summed up Breslows best, "treasure trove". Used to ride my stingray bike there to buy baseball cards, wrestling magazines, balsa gliders and rubber band wind up planes, "pinky" Spaulding balls to play curb or stoop ball.... buy a soda at the counter and get the cone paper insert cup in the metal holder. Breslows was old school. The awning out front that cranked open, the newspaper racks out front with the bricks used as paper weights.  Used to steal the shopping carts from Shop Rite to deliver our newspapers. 

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
Breslow's must have been before my time, but it sounds like the kind of place I would have liked!

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »
Johnny g,  I remember a candy store on Hudson St. a little south of Kennedy St.

It was ran by a guy Named Louie....nice guy, I used to stop there for Cigarettes and things in the 70's & 80's....I know it was his Mothers before he got it ....Tessie's

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
Oh yes, Louie and Gina...Louie and my dad were good friends from the time we moved there till my dad passed away. My dad and a whole crew of guys used to hang out there on saturday afternoons, eat sandwiches in the back, watch sports, etc.
They were great people...I didn't realize that Tessie was his mom, that was before my time.

anything