Author Topic: Old Candy stores  (Read 31036 times)

Offline kduerr53

• View Profile
Re: Old Candy stores
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »
I worked at Breslow's in 1968, 69, and part of 70. Worked behind the counter. Irving and Dave Breslow were the operators, Irv's sons Gary & Gordon also worked there at the time that I did. I remember the paper cone soda fountain cups fitting into the metal holders, also the plastic coffee cups fitting into the cup inserts. Dave and Irv were great guys. Their mother (Rose), also known as Old Lady Breslow, used to come into the store and drive them out of their skulls. Cheeseburgers were 35 cents, hamburgers were 30 cents. Theye didn't sell hot dogs or fries. Magazine rack was right behind the counter stools and so was an old fashioned "top double sliding door" ice cream chest. What special memories !!

Offline chadshere

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
I have a picture of the original counter with the soda fountains of Vic's in my hackensack street tours pics pt 2 on facebook. I was there about a month ago and went inside and it's a different place now but the lady told me they kept the original soda fountains.  There was also a candy store on fair st between essex and kansas with sawdust on the floor and the ladies who ran it were Miss Angelina and her daughter Miss Josie, and they lived upstairs..I think one of their children's name was Angela...i forget their last names but im sure they were italians.  I miss them..

Offline WarrenG

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »
Down the hill on Essex St. there was another candy story just past the Hackensack line in Maywood.  It was just past the tracks and across from Modell's.  Anyone remember it?  Small store, strip stores, on the right side near the tracks...

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
I lived in Maywood 3 blocks from that store in the late 60's and early 70's.  My mother used to send me there, as a little kid, to buy her cigarettes. They had no problem selling cigarettes to a 7-year old kid.  Trying to remember the name, I'll ask her.

Offline Long Ago

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
Breslow’s was one of my favorite places to go as a youngster during the late 1940s and early 1950s.  I know the store was there as early as 1946.  My mom would often shop at the Grand Union grocery store a few doors to the east on Essex St., and if I was with her I could usually persuade her to take a detour to Breslow’s.  :)

At that time the entry to the store was through a somewhat dilapidated screen door and then through an old front door. The cash register and luncheonette were to the right of the doors as you entered (east side) and the newspapers and magazines were at the rear of the store on the left side (west side).  The rest of the store had counters of merchandise that appealed to kids.  The store was usually busy on weekends, especially the luncheonette crowd on Sunday mornings.

Some of the items I would buy occasionally were rubber balls, paddle balls, kites, yo-yos, and balsa wood gliders.  The items I would nearly always buy with my weekly allowance were Topps baseball cards.  I kept the cards and usually threw away the bubble gum.  I remember other collectable cards that were also available from year to year such as wild west cards and U.S. license plate cards.

Regarding store personnel, it is interesting that kduerr53 mentioned an Old Lady Breslow.  I don’t remember her, but I do remember a person called Old Man Breslow.  He was a thin, elderly, bald man who could often be seen scurrying between the luncheonette and the cash register.  It seemed to me that he was always quite busy.  I also knew one of the Breslow boys who used to live on Sutton Ave.  He used to say his father worked at “our store,” but I’m not sure what his exact relationship would have been to Old Man Breslow.

Offline gordon Breslow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
      I remember Breslow's Luncheonette like it was yesterday.  I believe that my Grandparents Morris and Rose rented the middle store back around 1928.  There was a grocery store and a beauty parlor in the other two stores.  When the grocery store went out, my grandparents bought the building and knocked out the wall between the 2 stores and made M. Breslow and Sons the way I had remembered it.  My father Irv and my Uncle Dave ran the store for over 50 years.  My twin brother Gary and I and our older brother Charles worked there after school for years.  We would come in early on Saturday to fold the newspapers.  I also remember another kid Sal "Tubby" Garofalo that worked early in the morning folding newspapers and did tasks around the store.  We would work behind the counter cooking whatever was on the menu.  One of my favorites was the Taylor Ham and eggs.  Tey sold just about everything that you could possibly need.  We had candy, Bordens Ice Cream, Stationary, comic books, toys, greeting cards and cigarettes & cigars.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
Anybody remember Fine Stationary (maybe Fein) owned by Charlie. It was on Main Street, near Lido.

Someone at the office is asking. Would have been late 60's early 70's.  In addition to stationary, they sold candy, toys, etc.