Author Topic: Maiden Lane  (Read 6132 times)

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Maiden Lane
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:50:26 AM »
There was a "sidestreet" off of Hudson called Maiden Lane, but it really wasn't a street at all...just kind of a shallow lot that looked like it was part of Hudson...anyone know any history on this?
thanks!

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Maiden Lane
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:26 PM »
I've been curious about this too and have wondered if there was any parallel with Maiden Lane in NYC. I keep looking.  In the meantime, look at the images below.  The first is from the 1876 Walker Atlas, the second from the famous 1896 map and the present image from Google.  You don't see the "Maiden lane" on either early map. At first I thought the 1896 map showed it but that must be the artist's depiction of Water Street, since Water Street appears on the 1876 map. The lane now exists on the property of Peter Terhune in 1876.

If you look closely, there is a building set back much deeper from Hudson, owned by W. Holly.  Presumably, a lane ran back there. 

There's a Maiden Lane in San Francisco as well.  Here are theories on the naming of "Maiden Lane" in NYC. The comments that follow are interesting too.

“Tradition had it that the girls of early Dutch days were wont to stroll by the little stream along what was known first as Maagde Paatje,” says a 1911 New York Times article. There is a little stream by our Maiden Lane too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:16:09 AM by Editor »

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:47:10 AM »
A stream..really? You know, I never knew that...I never went on the "street" deep enough to see that, interesting..I must look for that next time I'm in Hackensack. Your info is great, thank you!  I'll probably post some more street questions later on.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:13:29 AM »
The stream is gone now, but you see it on the 1876 map.