Author Topic: Another interesting street question  (Read 6473 times)

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Another interesting street question
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »
Another street that always seemed odd to me was that corner of Essex and South State Sts. where there is a street sign in that parking lot that says Huyler St (which begins when the town changes to So. Hack) Last i can remember the two signs were there together almost parallel.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:39:53 PM by johnny g »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Another interesting street question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:37:39 AM »
I mentioned Huyler in an earlier post here about Gamewell and Kansas Streets.  There is a picture of Judge Huyler here.

In a manuscript for a Hackensack history book called “Heritage to Horizons”, I found this:

In speaking of roads and transportation, we should note that about the time of the Civil War, through the influence of Judge John Huyler, the established cross streets in Hackensack (evolved from those early farm lanes) were named for the counties of New Jersey. We still have Passaic, Camden, Salem, Mercer, Warren, Bergen, Morris, Hudson, Essex, Sussex and Atlantic Streets.

According to Wikipedia, John Huyler was elected as a Democrat to the Thirty-fifth Congress, serving in office from March 4, 1857 - March 3, 1859. He was an unsuccessful candidate as a Lecompton Democrat for reelection in 1858 to the Thirty-sixth Congress. The Lecompton Constitution was the source of much debate in Kansas and the nation, as it “enshrined slavery in the proposed state and protected the rights of slaveholders.” (Wikipedia).

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »

Johnny G.....It is weird how Huyler St and South State St are only separated by a side walk.....and it makes you wonder WHY...

But like the clip that The Editor posted...... way back then some streets were formed where Indian and Farm trails were.....

It  turns out as you noted that Huyler St made a good parking lot....for that part of town.....

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:04:50 AM »
South State Street between Essex and Kansas Street is a more recent creation, in order to allow the free flow of traffic.  The houses on the east side were on deep lots and each was moved back on the lot.

anything