Author Topic: Questionable Properties  (Read 22670 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable Properties
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 08:24:28 AM »
Finally!  :)

The old Texaco gas station on the corner of Esses St and Polify Ave (across from the Arena Diner) is being torn down this week.

Now if the bulldozer and dumpster could only make its way to other gas station property diagonally across the intersection... ::)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 10:21:17 AM »
What's the status on Mariner Bank construction (former Texaco gas station) at  Essex / Polify Rd?

Add to the list the now vacant gas stations on Summit / Essex St and Polify Rd / Rt 80 On-Ramp.

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile

Offline Steve

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 07:44:42 PM »
I want to add the white boarded up building on main street by the railroad tracks. It is across the street from B&W Bakery, almost in-between B&W and Fairmount Diner. This property has been boarded up for quite some time now and is just after the redevelopment area. Will the city ever do something about it. There isn't even a fence around it and I heard a rumor that a homeless citizen was found dead in their about a year ago. He had died of natural causes. (I remember hearing this conversation one night at the Fairmount diner) I think it was true because the next day someone put up new wood, boarding it up tighter.

I think it was a car repair shop previously. I don't recall if there were any gas tanks on the premises or not. I'm just tired of passing that eye sore everyday.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 10:38:36 AM »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »
I can't find the old string for the Martin Luther King Jr Seniors Center, and not sure if there ever was one.

I know that the Zoning Board denied that application (late 2006 ?) and that the non-profit organization sued the City of Hackensack to try and overturn it.  The subject site was a green house on the west side of First Street midway between Stanley Place and Berry Street. They wanted 6 units above a social hall, but the zoning only allows 1 and 2-family houses.  At the hearing, there was heavy testimony from residents.  Almost all the neighbors who testified were opposed to the project, and many other people from all around Hackensack testified in favor of it.

I never heard any news as to who won this litigation, nothing is online and nothing was in the newspapers unless I missed it. 

Now I see that the very house targeted by this group for their Senior's Center was torn down and the lot is vacant.

Does anyone know what is going to be built on this property.  Is it the MLK Jr. Senior Center ?

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »
That property was finally approved for construction for the Martin Luther King Senior Center.  The Martin Luther King Senior Center currently uses space in the Varick Memorial AME Zion Church on Atlantic Street. 

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
Thanks for the accurate information.

The reason I am so interested in this is the potential impact of this ruling on the ongoing dispute for a high-rise Nursing home on Summit And Prospect Avenues.

Both applicants used the exact same argument, that zoning should be set aside for "an inherently beneficial use".   Looks like we're going to have a high-rise on Summit Avenue after that thing grinds through the court process.