Author Topic: "North Hackensack" Kinderkamack & Main PC w/1920 PM  (Read 11885 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: "North Hackensack" Kinderkamack & Main PC w/1920 PM
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
Sent to me for posting:

Bob Leafe is correct; this is Kinderkamack Road and Main Street in River Edge. The Margaret Vanderbeck House stands near the intersection of Kinderkamack Road and Main Street, behind the two trees in the center of the photograph, with a white picket fence wrapping around Kinderkamack Road and Main Street. Pieces of the sandstone foundation of the Vanderbeck House were evident during grading of the pocket park in 1997. If you look closely, you can see the Lozier House on the right (east) side of Kinderkamack Road, near the summit of the hill. It still stands.

The house hidden behind the tree, just to the right of the phone pole in the foreground, is apparently the old John A. Zabriskie House (later John J. Post). The house, also behind a tree, at the right center edge of the postcard, is the John Vandalinda House. Kinderkamack Road, once known as Zabriskie Street in Cherry Hill, runs between these two houses. A friend of mine, who grew up in this section, once told me that they used a Sherman tank to demolish the Vandalinda House when they built the Cleaners and strip mall on this corner.

I'm not sure about the houses at the foot of Cherry Hill to the left or west of Kinderkamack road, but I think at the time of the Cherry Hill Tornado, Edgar Chinnock, the china and pottery decorator, had a house and kiln at this location.

The lane in the foreground led to the John C. Zabriskie House atop Cherry Hill.

I think I got most of this straight. Hope it helps.

Kevin Wright
[Past President, Bergen County Historical Society]

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:09:26 PM by Editor »

anything