Author Topic: searching for Holy Trinity students circa 1950-1960  (Read 12680 times)

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
searching for Holy Trinity students circa 1950-1960
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:32:20 AM »
Prospect  girl searching for classmate, Janice Bellochio...anyone know her?

Also seeking Frank Schaberg and his younger sister....(Kathleen?)

Still seeking Bonnie France,  and Dominic Pisano....

Sandra Tumac, Mary Ann Hyer, and Robert Holmes (Teaneck)... Would anyone know how to find a roster from Sister Rita's first grade class in 1950?
Also two girls named Frances and Kathleen (also from  Teaneck) and a boy named Vincent...

just hoping...

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: searching for Holy Trinity students circa 1950-1960
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »
Prospect  girl searching for classmate, Janice Bellochio...anyone know her?
Also seeking Frank Schaberg and his younger sister....(Kathleen?)
Still seeking Bonnie France,  and Dominic Pisano....
Sandra Tumac, Mary Ann Hyer, and Robert Holmes (Teaneck)... Would anyone know how to find a roster from Sister Rita's first grade class in 1950?
Also two girls named Frances and Kathleen (also from  Teaneck) and a boy named Vincent...
just hoping...

I can't tell you how to reach any of these people, but I can tell you that:

- Helen Schaberg was in my class (1953-1961). I think she is/was a nurse. If you find her, let me know. I have some reunion pictures for her, but haven't been able to locate her.

- also in my class was a Frances, a Kathleen, and a Vincent from Teaneck.....Frances Uliano, Kathleen Higgins, Vincent Marinello

- Robert Holmes died in 2007. There was a Mike Kelly column written about him in The Record on April 21, 2008, but it seems to be available only through pay services. Perhaps you can email Mike for it (KellyM@northjersey.com).

This was written in his blog the next day:

Honoring a waiter

Many readers asked about my column yesterday on Robert Holmes, a waiter at Amarone Ristorante in Teaneck who died suddenly last year and is being honored at the restaurant with a special bench and a plaque with his trademark greeting to all patrons as he handed them a menu:  "We can talk. Nothing is written in stone."

The dedication of that bench will take place this Sunday, April 27, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., at Amarone's, 63 Cedar Lane, Teaneck.   

Posted by Mike Kelly on 04/22 at 10:06 AM

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:31:05 PM »
Thank you Mr. Leafe...

You are so right, the young Schaberg girl is named Helen, and she is indeed a nurse. I last caught a glimpse of her at her father's Anderson Street office in the early '70s. Could you remind me of the name of the side street there?

Thank you for the nice piece on Robert Holmes (of Catalpa Avenue in my day). It brought both sad surprise and a smile of delight to remember his humor so vividly... I will contact Mr. Kelly to learn more. I see that you were following several years behind my class, so I am not sure of the info on Frances, Kathleen and Vincent if they are part of  your own class, which you stated.

BTW... I do  remember that Mary Ann Hyer was the best runner in my class and that she was a very tall young girl....

For someone like me, so far away from my hometown roots, your kind reply and regular postings are much appreciated.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:53:59 AM »
You are so right, the young Schaberg girl is named Helen, and she is indeed a nurse. I last caught a glimpse of her at her father's Anderson Street office in the early '70s. Could you remind me of the name of the side street there?

I don't know where her father's office was on Anderson, so I'm not sure which side street you're referring to. If her brother Frank is also a doctor, a quick search tells me that he may be in Pawtucket, RI.

Robert Holmes (of Catalpa Avenue in my day)

.......on the corner of Tilden Ave (his brother was in my class and they lived 4-5 blocks from me).

Thank you Mr. Leafe...For someone like me, so far away from my hometown roots, your kind reply and regular postings are much appreciated.

You're quite welcome.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:59:56 AM »
Thank you once more, Mr. Leafe....

BTW...would anyone know of a young man named Roger Foran who lived on the left side of Prospect -near Passaic St. [across from the old....(something) Arms apartments]. Also, I remember a young man named Donny Spellman from further down the street (after crossing Passaic) that practically faced, just a bit beyond Anderson, that little jut of land. I still remember hot summer evenings when they would race their bikes around that point. Does that little island still exist,across from the church?  Indeed, there was a little side street near the jutting grass going back toward Passaic that led to the outlet, where there stood a little small gas station on the corner just above Bob's Candy Store. I imagine that shop must be long gone. Oh my goodness-(he he he)- :laugh: I have suddenly remembered that Danny Esposito lived right down the street from the candy store. Oh surely, someone must still remember the Esposito's grocery and delivery truck. It was nearly as ubiquitous as the Good Humor Man's. 

More comments to follow..must get on the road...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:04:31 AM by prospectgirl »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »

We haven't heard from prospectgirl in a while, glad you're back.

To find your friends, try the old standby, facebook.

Offline WarrenG

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 06:20:39 PM »
Well, I was at HTS from '58-'62, but Prospect girl must have been 2 classes ahead, and as I recall, we had only fear of upper classmen!  But I'm sure we had a lot of the same teachers, all of which were under the eagle eye of the principal, Sr. Louise.  I ended up at HTS in the 2nd half of my 4th grade year which I guess started in January '58, and managed to stay until graduating in June '62.  Did you get a miniature Lane chest back then?  Not sure where it came from, but I think a classmate's parents must have owned a furniture store and talked a supplier into providing these mini chests for the entire 8th grade (and yes, I still have it).

You talked about living on Prospect Ave. near Central Ave.  Because my Mom worked, I was sent to a 'pre-school' on the corner of Prospect and Central.  It was an old converted house parallel to Prospect that backed on to the railroad tracks.  It's the white & green house in the pic of the old prospect Station on this site ( http://www.hackensacknow.org/images/prospectRR.jpg ).  I do remember the house across the street as the one you mentioned in other posts.  It was on the NE corner of Prospect & central, a big white house set back from the road with a big curving driveway and lots of shrubs.  I was really impressed with the '47 or '48 Black Packard that was often parked there. 
Warren

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 05:54:17 AM »
Dear Warren... Thank you for your reply and for the photo link!

I attended HTS from late '49 on through until its closing and the subsequent move across from the church...Our principal was Sister Claire, while Sister Juliana was her top "administrator", so to speak.... I loved the school and without the foundation provided there, I could not have risen as I did within the academic community. Still serving my own community, I always try to imitate the selflessness and kindness shown by my teachers. I must report, however, my brothers did not claim similar experiences of their days at HTS ;) as they possessed somewhat more rambunctious natures, whereas I of course posed as the perfect, docile, quiet and studious young girl... ;D (he he). Hmmm, no Lane mini-chests in those years, lucky you!

As for my childhood home, it sat directly across from the large white mansion you referenced in your post (ours on the property that now holds the Camelot structure). Actually, in 1958, my younger sister (then age 2) accidentally bumped into  the  hand brake on our shiny new white Ford station wagon. Before anyone else could be seated, the vehicle careened down our very steep, sharply curved driveway, miraculously slipped through a narrow passage between two massive curbside trees,  flew across Prospect Avenue, and jumped the opposite curb. My sister and the car ended up embedded in those lovely lush shrubs, the sturdy hedge you remember. That event began a closer, more neighborly connection between my mom and the nice  lady who owned the house and the afore-referenced black Packard. One further note for those who keep an interest in the Fort Lee film industry...That old white mansion setting was filmed often. My mom would call us all home to watch the comings and goings of the great vans and film crews as they spent days shooting film on the site of that beautiful old mansion. Does anyone else know anything more on that subject? If so, maybe a new thread could reap much delight and interest.

My parents purchased our home in early 1947-48, but our family did not occupy the old Blickweed mansion until after it had been updated with modern electrical wiring and other standard 1950's style conveniences, such as an electric second furnace that sat behind the still functioning gigantic original old coal furnace in the basement. The home's exterior was also renovated, yet retained the distinctive elements of its charming nineteenth century architecture. Moreover, great care was taken to preserve many extraordinary details and features in the elegance of its old world interior, which included on the two main floors several enormous wood-burning fireplaces that commanded lavish attention. Oh, please excuse my wanderings...

Warren, several months back, I posted a reply to Top Of The Hill as follows...

"Our home was [located] on the property that the Camelot behemoth now covers....Gone are our gardens and the gorgeous beech trees I climbed, fearlessly I might add. Perchance, did you ever come to join in the sledding down the hill by the white-pillared southern mansion on the corner of Central across from our property? When it snowed the servants from that home would monitor our safety all day long. Kids came from far and wide... Hmmm....quite the childhood I had there.... sometimes I miss it so much, but then I look at the posts and realize how very much is long gone, or so changed".... 

Hope these musings bring warm memories to those who might wonder about the children who lived on The Prospect of Old...

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 06:39:27 AM »

We haven't heard from prospectgirl in a while, glad you're back.

To find your friends, try the old standby, facebook.

Good Morning Just Watching!... (and others who may be watching)
Thank you for the friendly shout-out...I wanted to send you a message instead of a post, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out this newer format...
Not computer savvy, sorry... Actually, I realized this morning that I have been referring to my childhood home as the current Camelot location, as I previously thought I remembered that my mother (now deceased) had shown me that structure.  Indeed, on my last visit  to Jersey, twenty years ago, I drove down Prospect Avenue stunned by the changes, yet I can no longer clearly recall which building stood on the site of the old mansion. So, now I am quite unsure. Earlier, I did try to untangle my uncertainty on Google maps. Hopeless!
Might you still remember that you once replied to me with the addresses on Prospect? Our home was the third home from the corner of Central Avenue...the property spanned from # 253 to 257...Do you know which structure stands there now?
If you would be so kind to help, any information would be greatly appreciated....    :) Prospect Girl  :)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 07:09:09 AM »

The Camelot is 245 and the Bristol house is 277. 

So your house could be on either property.  You'd have to get an old tax map, and figure out how many houses from the corner of Golf Place that you were