Author Topic: King Spirit Temple, Park St and Central Ave  (Read 6718 times)

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
King Spirit Temple, Park St and Central Ave
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:44:37 AM »
http://www.tryglaw.com/swiatowid%201977.htm

When i was a kid I heard that this place was a Satanic church...according to this article it seems to be some sort of Polish/Slavic church. I know now the church was demolished and condos were built, but does anyone remember anything specific about this place?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: King Spirit Temple, Park St and Central Ave
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:01:17 PM »

The church at 252 Park Street was not demolished.  It is still standing and it is still a church.  It is now a Latino Protestant church, unsure what denomination. 

Before it was the funky pre-Christian Polish church, it was the Central Unitarian Church, named after Central Ave.  That congregation moved to Forest Ave, Paramus, next to Van Saun Park. It is still called the Central Unitarian Church.

The church at 252 Park Street was abandoned and vacant from around 1980 to around early 1990's, overgrown, roof collapsing, completely deteriorated.  Same for the house on the corner of Central Ave.  The new congregation bought the site for almost nothing, during the last real estate collapse (early 90's) and renovated both buildings slowly over almost 10 years.

As for the demolition, you may be confusing wrong corner of Park Street.  One block up the Gateway School was demolished to build Park Renaissance, 300 Park Street.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »

Johnny g.....
Good find on the old... SWIATOWID 1977 stuff....
are you a follower of the Heart of the Tree....?

This King Spirit Temple....Must be the one I asked a question about in a previous post of the Editor's about Unidentified Church (Identified)....

http://www.hackensacknow.org/index.php?topic=615.msg4199#msg4199

On the Side of this overgrown Church the was a Bronze Plaque...
Identifing it as the Church of Insect's...it was either Park & Central or Union & Central...

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010,
12:17:48 PM »Quote Modify

Does anyone remember a severly overgrown Church on the corner of Union and Central or Park and Central during the 60's and early 70's it was called The Church Insects......

I'm not kidding.....I walked past it everyday for many years in that time frame....I was always intriqued but I guess not enough to go in....and it was so overgrown it was scary

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
I found that article by googling the name of the church and Hackensack, the first thing that popped up was that article...i haven't been down that block for many years so i guess I was mistaken on the demolition, but I do remember in the late 80's a friend of mine and I trying to peek in one of the windows and it having some odd looking statues I could not identify.
Sorry Chief but I do not know anything about the faith, but it does sound interesting.

anything