Author Topic: The Record's mini-nod to Packard's  (Read 12041 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
The Record's mini-nod to Packard's
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »
From page A-2 of today's paper:

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline WarrenG

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: The Record's mini-nod to Packard's
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »
Nice! Thanks Record!  The pic is of course somewhat dated as it predates general use of scannining and the UPC codes.  Wouldn't it be great if the Record would do a whole series on what Packard's meant to generations of Hackensack shoppers?  With pictures??? 

Boy I miss those hot dogs and shakes from the counter under the escalator......

Offline Former Euclidean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59:01 PM »
I remember those hot dogs VERY well... the seeded bun, the juicy dog with mustard and relish wow- I can still taste it!   I would accompany my mom grocery shopping in those days back in the 60's just for one of those dogs... and we would finish up at the butcher on Main Street after a stop for B&W bakery rolls and coffee cake... I can't remember the name of it but the butcher was named Angelo... it was on the east side of the street across from Wolf's candystore - between Spring Valley and Catalpa.  I also worked at Packard's as a cart boy one summer as a young teen.  My mom and dad are in assisted living in Maryland and we live in CT and DE now so don't get back to Hackensack much.  Thanks for the post on Packard's,
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline dbl bugle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:36:14 AM »
I remember the butcher shop as being called Costa's. Wasn't there a butcher there named Sam also?

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:22:03 AM »
And to all the old time Hackensack oenophiles, do you remember the third Thursday of each November when the wineries in certain regions of France would release the year's Beaujolais Nouveau and liquor stores and restaurants in New York City and elsewhere would fight tooth and nail to get a few cases just for the publicity value of being one of the first to offer it. MEANWHILE, in little old Hackensack, New Jersey buyers could walk into Packards Liquor Store and Al could sell you all you wanted for your Thanksgiving dinner since Frank Packard had his wine holdings in France.

Just another one of those little stories about Packards that people never knew or simply forgot.

Offline Former Euclidean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 06:04:47 AM »
I remember the butcher shop as being called Costa's. Wasn't there a butcher there named Sam also?

Bingo!  Thanks very much for that... I remember as a 5 year old sneaking behind the counter for a slice of genoa salami from Angelo and wondering why they had sawdust on the floor... that is, until my mom explained why (to soak up meat blood of course)...   why that stayed with me all these years I have no clue.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline semafore

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:59:57 AM »
I have an additional, but different, memory of the wine department at Packards. In the summer of 1952, when I was 13 and too young to get “working papers”, at the not-so-gentle urging of my mother to do something useful I joined a group of local boys at Packards who carried out groceries for tips. It was a very lucrative summer, the highlight of which was getting a trunk load of returnable soda bottles as a tip (75 cents worth). Packards turned a blind eye to the practice until some of the boys injured themselves on broken bottles in the storeroom of the wine department (I wasn’t involved and can only guess why they were there) and banished the practice.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
Related topic: Packard's Memories

I worked in the smoke shop in Packards for a little more than a year.  Under the Magazine rack lived a litter of kittens. I used to feed them caviar which was about to expire.  They loved me.

anything