Author Topic: PERSON STRUCK/KILLED BY TRAIN NEAR CENTRAL AVE  (Read 13216 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
PERSON STRUCK/KILLED BY TRAIN NEAR CENTRAL AVE
« on: September 21, 2010, 05:16:01 PM »
http://www.northjersey.com/news/transportation/092110_Person_struck_killed_by_train_in_Hackensack.html

BY WILLIAM LAMB
The Record
STAFF WRITER

HACKENSACK — A person was struck and killed by an NJ Transit train near Central Avenue on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

The incident occurred around 3:15 as the outbound Pascack Valley Line train made its way through Hackensack, said Dan Stessel, an NJ Transit spokesman. The incident did not take place at a crossing, Stessel said. No information about the victim was immediately available.

About 20 passengers were aboard the train at the time, none of whom were injured, Stessel said. They were transferred to a bus to continue on their way to New Bridge Landing.

Transit officials are asking outbound Pascack Valley Line customers to seek out other modes of transportation. NJ Transit’s 165 bus, which runs parallel to the Pascack Valley line through Oradell, Emerson and Westwood, is cross-honoring train tickets, as are Coach USA’s Red and Tan buses, Stessel said.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:19:32 PM by BLeafe »

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: PERSON STRUCK/KILLED BY TRAIN NEAR CENTRAL AVE
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:28:27 PM »
UPDATE

BY WILLIAM LAMB
The Record
STAFF WRITER

A 12-year-old Hackensack boy was struck and killed by an NJ Transit train as he was walking along the tracks between Central Avenue and Clay Street on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

The boy, identified as Caesar Muloki, was listening to an iPod at the time, and may not have heard the engineer sound the train’s horn, said Dan Stessel, an NJ Transit spokesman.

The incident, which involved an outbound Pascack Valley Line train, occurred around 3:15 p.m. about midway between crossings at Central Avenue and Clay Street, Stessel said.

Caesar would have turned 13 on Oct. 2, Stessel said.

“This appears to be a tragic accident, and our thoughts are with the family this evening,” Stessel said.

About 20 passengers were aboard the train at the time, none of whom were injured, Stessel said. They were transferred to a bus to continue on their way to New Bridge Landing. Service on the Pascack Valley Line was restored around 5:30 p.m., initially with residual delays of up to 20 minutes. Trains were back on schedule by 6 p.m., Stessel said.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:11:16 PM »

Over the last 40 years, the people of Park Street have REPEATEDLY called for a continouus fence along the railroad from the Berry Street crossing to the Central Ave crossing, preferrably on the west side of the railroad.

Preventing pedestrian deaths has been one of the reasons.

The Zisa administration was approached with this by a concerned resident of Park Street.  They did nothing. This death is on their hands as well as the current city council.

But of course, nothing but a dead ear from city hall on that one, and more than a few people in the Carver Park neighborhood consider the right to cross the Railroad at Clay Street to be nothing less than a civil right.  Nonsense, at least when children's safety is at stake.

Really, it's time for the City Council to step forward and make this decision.  And while they are at it, fence the gap between Berry and Passaic as well.  There is no urgent reason for people to cross between the designated railroad crossings.  People who want to get from Park Street to the Carver Park neighborhood have 3 street to traverse, Central Ave, Berry Street, and Passaic Street. That's enough access.

Children's safety is the priority.  SAFETY  SAFETY   SAFETY.  I think the parents of the child should go down to the next council meeting and start making the demand.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »
The knee-jerk reaction is to blame someone but I think you are off base.  A fence can be considered but it's not without its problems.  Fences also present other types of safety issues.  People drown in rivers, fall off cliffs and step in front of buses. You can't fence the world around you. 

This council spends considerable time on youth issues in this city as well as public safety generally.  All of them have children too. To lay blame at their feet for this tragedy is insensitive and uninformed.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:42:52 PM »
I believe that we must go with the Editor on this one. There is no question that it is a tragedy that this kid died.
I would venture to say that if somebody were to review statistics from the Hackensack Police Department they would find that more pedestrians were struck and killed crossing Hackensack Ave. / River Street than there were crossing the tracks or walking along the railroad right of way. Yet to my knowledge there is no call to fence these streets.
Likewise it is highly probable that the pedestrian fatalities were not at controlled intersections. In this particular case the child was not crossing at a controlled location.
One final point. New Jersey Transit or whomever controls the railroad right of way would never allow a municipality to construct a fence along this right of way and they would certainly not undertake putting up anything that would interfere with their operations or maintainance of their tracks.
It all goes back to educating kids about the dangers of crossing railroad tracks and gaining their respect of the dangers inherent with trains.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:37:13 AM »
Vigilance urged at rail crossings after deaths
Thursday, September 23, 2010
BY ERIK SHILLING
The Record
STAFF WRITER

Transportation officials are cautioning residents to keep their eyes and ears open when crossing train tracks in the wake of two deaths in two months that involved electronic devices.

On Tuesday, a 12-year-old boy was walking along the Pascack Valley Line in Hackensack when an outbound train swiped him around 3:15 p.m., killing him, authorities said. A transit official said that the boy, Caesar Muloki, had apparently been listening to an iPod at the time.

"To the extent that personal entertainment devices are getting more popular, it is a concern," said Dan Stessel, a spokesman for NJ Transit. "Any type of distraction is really the problem."

Stessel was in part referring to the death of Christiana Lee, 21, of Glen Rock, who walked in front of a passing commuter train Aug. 4. Witnesses to the accident told investigators that Lee appeared to be texting on her cellphone and listening to headphones at the time. Witnesses said that she never saw the train coming.

Stessel said that NJ Transit does not track accidental deaths resulting from distractions.

Carol Steckbeck, a spokeswoman for Operation Lifesaver, a non-profit group that advocates for safer rail crossings nationally, said that the federal government does not track such statistics either, but noted that they had also been hearing about an increase in electronic device-related incidents.

More than a dozen fatalities have occurred on NJ Transit tracks so far in 2010, including both workers and pedestrians, officials said.

"The No. 1 tip is turn off your cellphone," said Steckbeck. "We definitely are seeing more of these types of incidents."

On Wednesday, a memorial of flowers, teddy bears and cards had sprung up near the tracks in Hackensack where Caesar was killed.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »

There's a fence along the railroad right-of-way in Downtown Ridgewood, all around the train station.  And there are other examples.  None of which .  Why ?  Because the train tracks are unsafe, and they don't want pedestrians being hit by trains.

You know what will prompt the railroad and the City of Hackensack to put up fences along those train tracks ?  When the family of a victim decides to sue them both, sue the City and sue the Railroad.   We live in a reactive society, not a proactive society.  The entire length from Green Street to Temple Ave needs to be fenced off, but the highest priority is around Clay Street.  Clay Street used to have an at-grade crossing of the tracks.  Now it stops on both sides of Railroad Ave, but people think they can just walk over the tracks there as if it was a public sidewalk.  And worse yet, to walk along the tracks and congregate on the train tracks.  There is the same problem at Ross Avenue and Maple Ave, but there is less situation of youth congregating on the railroad.

This is a big problem.  It's amazing to me that mature responsible adults don't see that it is a problem.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »
Community still in shock over tragedy
Friday, October 1, 2010
BY MARK J. BONAMO
Hackensack Chronicle
MANAGING EDITOR

HACKENSACK — On the night of Sept. 21, a small group of Hackensack residents stood around a utility pole on Railroad Avenue, tying a teddy bear to it up high while lighting candles at its base. Such scenes are sadly familiar to anyone traveling New Jersey’s roads; people leave makeshift memorials built as touchstones of tragedy usually involving an automobile accident.

But just 10 feet away comes first the light, then the sound, a reminder of what made this a shrine: an outbound NJ Transit Pascack Valley Line commuter train, passing from Hoboken through Hackensack, taking people home.

Caesar Muloki, an eighth-grade student at Hackensack Middle School, never made it back to his own home. At around 3:15 p.m., Caesar was crossing the tracks north of the Central Avenue near the intersection of Railroad Avenue and Clay Street when an NJ Transit train struck and killed him days before his Oct. 2 birthday. He was 12 years old.

"A young boy’s life was taken by a tragic accident so close to my daughter’s school," said Viviana Tangarife, a neighborhood resident and mother of three who lives across the street from the accident site, three blocks from the middle school. "This is completely unsafe. As you can see, anything can happen in a matter of seconds." With that, Tangarife’s comments were interrupted by the train’s horn.

But Caesar’s untimely death may begin a larger discussion in Hackensack that’s not so easily drowned out: how to ensure the city doesn’t lose another child before he or she can grow up.

Along the tracks, safety not always first

Caesar was relatively new to Hackensack. According to school officials and classmates, he moved to the city with his family from Zambia around a year ago.

According to NJ Transit spokesman Dan Stessel, Caesar was listening to an iPod as he walked along the tracks and might never have heard the engineer sounding the train’s horn. About 20 passengers were on the train at the time.

"This appears to be a tragic accident, and our thoughts are with the family," said Stessel.

Whatever the reason, neighbors claim that some younger residents engage in unsafe activities along the tracks.

"Our window has been broken from children putting rocks on the tracks, just to see the train crush the rocks," said Tangarife. "It’s a dangerous situation."

Hackensack Schools Superintendent Dr. Edward Kliszus noted that crisis plans put into place in the aftermath of such a fatal incident include informing the entire school community about the dangers of life along the train tracks.

"It’s very important that parents and teachers review as soon as possible safety rules about crossing streets, including staying off the railroad tracks," he said, noting that approximately 35 grief counselors were in place at Hackensack Middle School following the incident to help the community cope. "We live in a city, and trains are everywhere in this part of the Northeast, including Bergen County. You can put up all the fences you want, kids are going to climb them. The teachable moment here is that if you play on railroad tracks, you can get killed. This tragedy may save someone’s life if we remind them of that. Nobody is indestructible."

Penny Bassett Hackett, an NJ Transit spokesman, also noted that fencing along the train tracks is not always the best deterrent.

"We have some fencing along our right of ways, but regrettably people still break through the fences," she said.

Hackett instead emphasized education as the best way to avert another tragic accident.

"The best method for prevention is education," she said, noting that the transit agency actively promotes its own school safety program. "The message is very simple: don’t trespass on railroad property."

In tragedy’s shadow

The message back at the temporary memorial at Railroad Avenue and Clay Street was one of permanent loss, one perhaps harder to accept for the young.

"This didn’t have to happen," Lawryn Reid, 10, a schoolmate of Caesar’s. "His parents are going to be sad. I don’t want anyone to get hurt again."

Francisco Tangarife has lived along Railroad Avenue and close to the train tracks for almost 20 of his 24 years. He has been a witness to numerous accidents along his street, including incidents involving trains. Searching for words as part of his community’s search for meaning in the wake of this latest tragedy, Francisco looked beyond earthly bonds.

"This could have gone other ways. The only person who knows what he was doing is the little kid himself," he said, hugging his girlfriend as he watched the candles flicker across the street. "Only God can say, I guess."

E-mail: bonamo@northjersey.com

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 05:35:56 AM »
I see that the NJ Transit spokesperson is also downplaying the idea of fencing the tracks.  Hey, nobody wants a lawsuit, so why not try to steer public opinion.

You know what:  If the fence would keep out 90% of the trespassers, and another 10% would still climb over, it's worth it.  Not sure how many people would climb a 6 or 7 foot aluminum fence. Probably way less than 10%

But it's not about the money, meaning the cost to build the fence. It's about saving lives.  If the fence saves one life every 10 years, it's worth it. 

I saw the posts suggesting that teaching about the danger of trains is the answer.  I wish we lived in a society where kids just followed the advice of their parents and schoolteachers, but that isn't the reality.  No matter how much advice is given, it's the human nature of kids to bend the rules or be rebellious. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Crossing Guards Added
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »
Hackensack crossing guards are added near train tracks
Friday, November 12, 2010
The Record

HACKENSACK — Students crossing streets near the train tracks are being helped by additional crossing guards, police said Thursday.

Capt. Tomas Padilla, the acting officer in charge of the police department, said crossing guards are now stationed at the corners of Berry Street and Railroad Avenue as well as Railroad Avenue and Passaic Street.

The city also added a guard at Park and Berry streets after parents raised concerns, Padilla said.

"These three intersections were identified as highly traveled by kids walking to and from school, and they didn't have a crossing guard at those locations," Padilla said. "The city manager gave us the authority to hire three."

Padilla said City Manager Stephen Lo Iacono asked the traffic division to study the Railroad Avenue intersections after 12-year Cesar Muloki was struck and killed by an NJ Transit train on Sept. 21 as he walked along the tracks north of Central Avenue. The boy was wearing headphones and may not have heard the engineer sound the horn, NJ Transit officials said.

A crossing guard had already been assigned to the intersection of Railroad and Central avenues before Muloki's death, Padilla said.

— Monsy Alvarado
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:12:23 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hackensack community plants tree for student killed by train
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 11:12:44 AM »
Thanks Pedra.
MANAGING EDITOR
Hackensack Chronicle

A group of about 50 Hackensack residents stood around a tree at the corner of Railroad Avenue and Clay Street on June 16, holding birdseed. They held it tightly as they remembered Caesar Muloki, an eighth grade student who died when he was struck by a NJ Transit train last year close to where they stood.

"We planted this tree as a reminder of Caesar," said memorial organizer Pedra DelVechio, a parent of a middle school student. "Like Caesar, the tree has roots that are going to go deep into the earth. They'll reach out in ways that we can't even see, and touch people we don't even know they're touching, people Caesar may have never known. But he touched all of us."

"The tree will make us feel joyful and peaceful as we remember Caesar," added DelVelchio. "The tree is a reminder of all of the joy he brought to his family, friends and teachers, and his brilliant smile and beautiful spirit."

At the memorial, DelVechio recounted a story about how Caesar would watch a bird's nest outside of a window every day.

"It was important to him that the tiniest little creature was safe and cared for," she said. "An act of kindness like that makes you realize the kind of person that Caesar was. This year, the birds didn't return to the nest. Maybe this tree will become a new home for those birds."

Prossy Kikome-Mallard, Caesar's mother, spoke about what the remembrance meant to her and her family.

"It makes me feel good that people still remember him," Kikome-Mallard said. "This tree is a continuation of Caesar's spirit, and it's a place for me to come to and be one with him. In my heart, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish that I could talk to him."

"Right now as I stand here, I have news for him," she added. "I want to tell him, 'Caesar, there is a tree here for you.' I miss Caesar so much. At the same time, I know that he is watching over me. I find peace in coming here now. I find even more peace in watching this tree grow."

With that, those assembled spread the birdseed around the tree, carefully, not in a scattered way, focusing on Caesar's memory.

DelVechio was pleased with local participation in the event.

"It's a sign that the whole community was really touched by this," she said. "People feel each other's loss. At the end of the day, we're all connected. We all understand family."

Kikome-Mallard noted how in his short life, Caesar, who is buried in Uganda, traveled far in miles and in spirit.

"What a loving boy he was," she said. "He loved his friends. He loved the world. He loved everything around him. He loved coming to America."

Email: bonamo@northjersey.com

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
NJ Transit issues 51 summonses for trespassing near tracks as part of safety awareness effort
Friday June 8, 2012, 8:07 PM
BY KAREN ROUSE
STAFF WRITER
The Record

The NJ Transit police cited 51 people for trespassing near railroad tracks on Friday — more than five times the number of summonses that it issues on a typical day, the agency’s police chief said.

Chief Chris Trucillo acknowledged that his officers typically issue warnings when they catch people walking on the tracks or driving through crossings while warning lights are flashing and the gates are coming down.

But at a press conference Friday at Fair Lawn’s Radburn Station at which NJ Transit unveiled two public-service announcements about train fatalities, Trucillo said his officers are stepping up enforcement.

“They say to my officers, ‘Don’t you have anything better to do?’ ” he said. “Sometimes folks don’t change behaviors until it hits their pocketbook,” he added, referring to the citations.

On average, 25 people are killed by NJ Transit trains each year, according to the agency. Some are suicides. Spokesman John Durso Jr. said there have been five deaths so far this year, compared to seven during the same period last year.

At the direction of Transportation Department Commissioner Jim Simpson, NJ Transit began looking at three aspects of rail safety — education, enforcement and engineering around railroad crossings –following the deaths of three North Jersey teens last October in incidents involving the agency’s trains.

Michael Cabaj, 13, of Garfield was killed by an NJ Transit train on Oct. 3 near Outwater Lane. The death came a day after Alan Mendez, 16, of Wayne and Nicholas Sabina, 17, of Fairfield, were killed while walking on a train trestle in Wayne. A third boy who was with them survived after jumping onto an embankment.

The back-to-back deaths, and the young age of the victims, shook up North Jersey and prompted a renewed focus on reducing fatalities. NJ Transit tapped some of its police officers, conductors and engineers to tell their stories at schools, and now, in public-service announcements.

The two public-service announcements the agency posted to YouTube will also air on television in the New York and Philadelphia markets.

NJ Transit Executive Director Jim Weinstein on Friday described the fast-moving 30-second spots as “haunting.”

In one entitled “You’re Dead,” an NJ Transit police lieutenant holds up a clear plastic sandwich bag and says, “Once you’re hit by a train, this is the size of bag that we’ll use to collect what’s left of you on the tracks.”

The same spot features a man who laments the deaths of three friends while they all were trespassing along tracks in 1975. In another scene, an NJ Transit police officer makes a plea to the public. “I don’t want to be the one to tell your parents,” she says, “that you’re dead.”

In the second video, called “You Don’t Win,” an NJ Transit engineer describes the “the sickening thump that you know is that somebody’s life has just ended.”

The fast-moving scenes are followed by the message: “Make the right choice, stay off the tracks.”

“Making bad choices along railroad tracks impacts everybody,” Weinstein said, “from the engineer who can’t stop the train in time, to the police who must deliver the message” to a victim’s family.

The agency in February issued a report with suggestions for rail safety, including installing devices around rail gates, such as signs advising that a second train is coming. The Plauderville Station in Garfield next month will be the test location for the new “second train coming” signs.

Email: rouse@northjersey.com

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »
And if you go to downtown Ridgewood, you'll see that the railroad corridor is appropriately FENCED OFF for a considerable distance before and after the train station.  Those good folks in Ridgewood deserve to be protected.  There's hundreds of miles of train tracks in NJ, and it's just not economical to fence them all off, but for highly developed areas like downtown Ridgewood it becomes necessary for public safety.

Evidently we don't deserve that in Hackensack, and for some reason anyone who mentions it deserves to be criticized.

anything