Poll

Should the city allow Excelsior III to be buillt over the railroad at Prospect Avenue?

Yes
7 (41.2%)
No
9 (52.9%)
I don't know
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: EXCELSIOR III  (Read 21551 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
EXCELSIOR III
« on: May 08, 2004, 11:43:28 PM »
As reported by the Record, a developer wants to build a 20-story, 331-unit apartment complex at Prospect Avenue and American Legion Drive that would span a freight line of the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad.

The city, however, has safety concerns about a project that would be the first of its kind in Hackensack. It would also be the city's first high-rise apartment construction in a decade.

Click here to read the full story.

Thanks to Eric for suggesting the poll.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 11:48:43 PM by Editor »

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
Re:EXCELSIOR III
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 01:00:57 AM »
I don't like the idea of a new high-rise at that location.  Safety issues could be address like they do in NYC, but the traffic becomes the real problem.

Also, the record is wrong about the last high-rise in Hackensack going up was 10 years ago.  My brother worked on the last Excelsior 2 about 6 years ago.

Valerie Haymes

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 07:09:21 PM »
As a resident of American Legion Drive I find the plans for Excelsior III an outrage. This area is already bombarded with traffic congestion, parking from visitors at all the other hi-rise buldings, parking from people hopping on the 163 or the 162 buses, parking from Hackensack Hospital staff.
To add insult to injury when these people park here they feel free to dump there trash out first before going on their merry way. Now we'll have more of the same.
Its been said that buying air space over railroad area is OK as its alrerady been done in NYC over rails and highways. So is that where we're headed? Let's fill every square foot of land left with a multi family dwelling. People move here to escape the over crowding in NYC. I guess the Hackensack planners are doing their part to keep New Jersey the most densely populated state in the nation.
Wait till the tax payers have to vote for more school construction and teachers to keep up with this population explosion. And on the topic of schools that corner of Prospect and American Legion is already unsafe for kids walking to the High School or Parker. Soon it will be worse.

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 11:05:08 AM »
I don't disagree w/the construction of the Excelsior III. But I do disagree w/ it's planned location.  

We do not need another hi-rise on Prospect Ave. The city planners need to direct these developers toward the Main Street and State Street area, which will help their revitalization efforts and bring more people within walking distance of Main Street and hopefully the planned light rail.

Why squeeze in another hi rise on Prospect when there is need for re development in other areas of our city.

Steve

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 08:10:50 PM »
I agree with Jerry! Let's get the developers to build in the Hudson, State and Main street areas. They could have retail space on the first floor, very similar to "The Restaurant" at the Excelsior! This would be good for everyone!! Main Street needs to be addressed, I feel for the retailers! If I didn't want to support Hackensack Shops I would NEVER shop there. What would attract out of towners to Main Street? Hackensacks Main Street was the pride of Bergen County at one time! Now it's the embarrasment!

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 11:02:37 PM »
To the last post, here are some links you may wish to explore with respect to Main Street (Requires free registration with The Record- Click on any story to register):

City getting down to business

Hackensack planners OK another Commerce Bank branch

Hackensack's Record King vows to rock on

No-nonsense leader steers plan to revitalize Hackensack

Rail link hailed as economic engine

Hackensack bottleneck is now a distant memory

Questions, foes could derail high-rise apartment plan

City names a new head of the Hackensack Economic Development Commission (Scroll down to "Hackensack")

Generally speaking, I think the prospect for a successful redevelopment of Main Street and the surrounding area is good.  Look at other stories in Citizen News Articles on the homepage for information about new residential development in that area.   Let's hope the momentum holds.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 11:17:20 PM by Editor »

Offline JerryD

• Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
Re: EXCELSIOR III
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 11:29:52 AM »
Any word on the planned development of the Excelsior III?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 12:09:35 PM »
Excelsior is on the next Zoning Board Docket.

ericmartindale

Re: Excelsior III vs. proposed train station
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 07:09:41 AM »
When the Susquehanna rail line was also a commuter line, there was a train station along American Legion Drive about 100 feet east of Prospect. In fact, the concrete foundation of the stairs leading down to the tracks is still there.

There are plans now to re-institute commuter trains on the Susquehanna, and guess where the transit experts want to make a train station --- Prospect and American Legion. No surprise, of course. Logically, it makes the most sense to put a train station where there is the highest density of people and buildings.  I would imagine there would be sidwalks along the tracks leading down to Second Street, so that BOTH Prospect Avenue and the Carver Park neighborhood will experience the economic prosperity that all properties gain if they are within an easy walk of this train station. Locating the train station on the west side of Prospect is not desired for two reasons (1) It would mean there is much less pedestrian access from Overlook Avenue and from the Carver Park area, and (2) it would also become a long-term planning threat to Summit Avenue by encouraging multi-unit growth there.

Now, THE BIG QUESTION: How will the train station be reopened at the NE corner of Prospect and American Legion Drive if Excelsior III is built there. The answer is it won't. I've read many great reasons why Excelsior III should not be built, on this website, in the Record, and in the County Seat. However, this train station issue should take the front and center stage. It's also a valid reason to seek the involvement of our State Assemblypersons, our State Senator, and our U.S. Congressman Steve Rothman in opposing the construction of Excelsior III.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 10:32:36 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 03:25:16 PM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 07:42:49 PM »
The Excelsior application was adjourned pending the hiring of an architect/planner to review the plans.  Costs to be borne by the applicant.

March 16th unless there is a special meeting.  Re-notice may be required.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 02:44:31 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 02:37:44 PM »
Related website:  www.concernforhackensack.org

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 09:40:38 AM »
Excelsior III is on the Zoning Board docket for March 16, 2005.  Click here for docket.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 03:09:27 PM »
I understand that the Excelsior meeting tonight is mostly "procedural".

Click here for more information: http://www.concernforhackensack.org/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 03:11:27 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 08:59:24 PM »
Position of "Citizens for Change" on the Excelsior III project:  Click here. (.pdf file).

Editor's note: This post should not be construed as an endorsement of any candidate.

anything