Author Topic: 2010 Census Data  (Read 7805 times)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
2010 Census Data
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »

I heard on the news that the 2010 Census was released.  Does anyone have the results for Hackensack.   I'm wondering if we are any closer to cracking that 50,000 mark.  Actually, less was built this past decade than in the 90's, so unless more people are packing into houses and apartments, we probably haven't hit 50,000 yet.  If anyone has the info, please post

Offline irons35

• View Profile
Re: 2010 Census Data
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:42:03 PM »
you dont really believe the census data do you? It has not been accurate in this city since the 1960 census. And it is way under counted today. you can take the population south of Essex St east of the tracks and at least double what was counted.  you can take the count from the 5 apartment buildings surrounding Anderson St. park and triple it.  and thats just for starters.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:16:55 PM »

I completely agree.

I met with some census takers and supervisors a few months ago, and learned quite a few things.  Ethnic immigrant areas are indeed counted at about half of the actual.  It doesn't matter that census data is 100% confidential, and cannot be released to IRS, INS, local zoning officer, etc., for 70 years.  People are paranoid about being found out.

And here's one that breaks the stereotype. Readers might be shocked to learn that the MOST LIKELY person to skip the census is a single American woman, English speaking, and of White or African-American race, and living alone.  Single or widowed women, especially in urban areas, don't want to document that they are living alone.   In some areas, 66% of them skip out on the census.

If the census takers really want to get accurate information, there needs to be a policy in which landlords and Superintendants are required to identify every person in every unit.  And to be told, in advance, to take a "snapshot" of their building on April 1st of the census year, because so many people come and go.  Even 3 months later, it's hard to deconstruct it all.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »
2010 Interactive Census Map: http://www.northjersey.com/news/Town_by_town_data_from_the_2010_Census.html

1990 City Population: 37,049
2000 City Population: 42,677
2010 City Population: 43,010

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:16:28 AM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Only 43,000 +/-, how many people were undercounted this time.

Wow, there are more Latino's in Hackensack than white people !!!  I can't say that is a surprise, but who would have guessed that 20 years ago ?

And the African-American population has been statistically flat for 20 years, despite great changes in distribution across the city.  Who would have guessed that 20 years ago.

Another observation:  There are now 4 racial groups with double-digit representation, since Asians nosed over 10%. 

Despite the big increases in Latino's in the last 20 years, I don't see that trend continuing.   It's hard to see the Asian percentage declining, or huge changes in the African-American population. That's a block of over 30%.  And given the demographics of Bergen County and the interconnectedness of Hackensack with the other communities, it's hard to see the white population dipping lower than 25%.

There is no longer such a stigma to living in a diverse community, and huge areas of the rest of Bergen County also have great diversity. This means that Hackensack will remain attractive to white people, especially single people, empty nesters, and the elderly.  There is a demographic log jam, and in 20 years, the pie chart probably won't be too different than it is now.

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
I was wondering about the African American count.  We have a very large population of African immigrants and black people from the Carribean.  Do they count in this number, or is there another way of counting?  I also suspect the African American population won't change much, but I can imagine growth in the African population.  Either way, I love our diversity.  It's part of why I'm here.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:27:12 PM »
I believe that the census counts them as "Black".  Good point about the diversity within the African-American community.  Twenty years ago, almost all Blacks in Hackensack were "African-American". That's a term of nebulous meaning, but usually it is used to describe people of Black race who's families are many generations in the United States. Not immigrants from Africa or the Carribean.   So while the African-American population has gone from about 23% to about 22% in the last 20 years, and radically changed its distribution across the city, internally there's also been a big change. There's been an increase in the number from the Caribbean and directly from Africa.   

This is just a guess, but maybe the 22% would break out 14% African-American and 8% Caribbean-American or Black African. 

And for those who might not know, there is one street in the city that is a magnet for immigrant blacks. That's Park Street.  Some of the buildings there might be majority Black-immigrant, especially near Clay Street.  Meaning over 50% of the entire population of the building is blacks from Jamaica, other Caribbean islands, and directly from Africa.  And they take great pride in that.