Author Topic: Does the city have a Shade Tree Commission?  (Read 7494 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Does the city have a Shade Tree Commission?
« on: May 14, 2004, 08:25:00 AM »
Plenty of neighboring cities and towns have Shade Tree Commissions to help with the following:

The Shade Tree Commission would be a non-profit organization, commissioned by the Mayor's office with the task of restoring and maintaining the city's tree population. Trees in the city provide beauty and utility.

• Reducing tree loss during development
  • Reducing damage to standing trees during construction
  • Providing for replacement of trees lost during construction
  • Providing for planting trees where none occurred previously
  • Providing for the maintenance of preserved trees after construction is completed
  • Maintaining the health of trees in our parks, right of ways and urban areas;
  • Increasing public education and support for urban forestry
  • Generating funds from the foundation community, the corporate community, the citizens of Hackensack and the private sector to support urban forestry.
The reason I ask,  many city blocks are naked with no tree replacement. Trees providing shade and charm on a neighborhood block increases everyone's property value.  Most cities now plant flowering pear trees that are deep rooted to avoid having costly sidewalk repairs in the future.

Also, the young trees in front of the Lakeshore Learning Store on Essex St have recently been re-mulched. Whoever did this task - couldn't they tell one of the trees has been dead for some time?  I think a tree that hasn't bloomed leaves like the rest of them would be an obvious clue. Maybe the person thought the fresh mulch would bring the tree back.

Would having a Shade Tree Commission be a hinderance or a welcomed source of help to the DPW?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re:Does the city have a Shade Tree Commission?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 10:17:44 AM »
I found this online:

Ten Cities Initiative - The Ten Cities Initiative is designed to establish Urban Forestry Programs in some of NJ’s most tree challenged communities. This project is working with seven communities (Garfield, Plainfield, Union City, Jersey City, Hackensack, Passaic and Keansburg) to develop a community forestry management plan, train local residents and city officials, establish a tree commission, and coordinate a tree planting or educational event.

I also note in the "Hackensack Community Link" newsletter (Fall 03), it reads:

Promoting Shady Streets: If you would like a shade tree planted between the curb and sidewalk in front of your home, please write to the Hackensack Shade Tree Advisory Committee c/o City Hall, 65 Central Avenue, Hackensack, NJ 07601. If possible, please include a drawing to illustrate where you would like the tree planted.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 10:18:11 AM by Editor »

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 10:52:00 AM »
Promoting Shady Streets: If you would like a shade tree planted between the curb and sidewalk in front of your home, please write to the Hackensack Shade Tree Advisory Committee c/o City Hall, 65 Central Avenue, Hackensack, NJ 07601. If possible, please include a drawing to illustrate where you would like the tree planted.

I missed this mentioned in the Community Link.  Thanks.

I just called the DPW.  There is a $50 fee (paid after the planting). Applicatoin mailed to the homeowner. Plantings are usually done in September.  

Tree Options:  White Flowering Pear Tree (non bearing fruit) or Pink Flowering Cherry Tree (non bearing fruit).

As interested as I am to do this for my own home, I'm on the fence over the $50 fee.  

1.  Why should there be a $50 fee? If the city goes around planting trees annually, there's no fee. It feels like a penalty for proactively doing something in my neighborhood. Since redoing my sidewalks (and losing two trees) almost three years ago, the city has never come by and replanted trees.  And the city should be well aware of this, since the sidewalk require a permit and they cut the existing two trees.

2. On the other hand, for $50 I choose the tree to be planted and where along the curb. One can't buy a three year old tree and have it planted for $50 anywhere else.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 10:56:59 AM by wetochwink »

ericmartindale

How about some Native Hardwood Trees
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 10:16:16 PM »
In 1999, I wanted a tree planted in front of my house (now my former house), and the fee at that time was $300. I didn't do it. It sounds like the city has become more reasonable with the $50 fee.  At that price, I would have ordered two trees.If you think the $50 is excessive, go to Home Depot and get a competitive price on a similar size tree, and then add to that price a quote from a landscape contractor to plant it. You'll be paying many times more than $50.

What I'd really like to see is the city start a program in which native hardwoods can be planted on private property. If someone wants a Red Oak, Sugar Maple, Hickory, Sycamore, or Tuliptree (for example) on the middle of their front lawn, it would be great to be able to have the city plant it for $50. Such trees are not appropriate for the strip between the sidewalk and the street because they rip up the sidewalks when they grow to mature size. Nevertheless, having more large native hardwoods in our neighborhoods would be very desirable, and enhance the suburban quality of the city. This means they need to be on private property such as private front and rear yards. We've been losing far too many mature native hardwoods due to old age, windthrow, or simply from homeowners deliberately having them cut. Almost nobody is planting new ones, and only a few are growing on their own along side and rear property lines.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 03:44:30 PM »
FYI:  There is an article in the most recent County Seat about the city's tree program.