General Category > Photography...........the way I see it (Moderated by BLeafe)

Photography...........the way I see it (all images prior to 9/16/11)

<< < (2/21) > >>

irons35:
last year it was October, so its an improvement. :laugh:

--- Quote from: BLeafe on March 18, 2011, 07:55:22 PM ---It's March 18 - time to finally take down.................the CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTS!

--- End quote ---

hankmc:
Excellent photos. Welcome to the digital photography world.
I have been a photography buff for many years going back to developing and enlarging black and white film and thinking that cropping and pushing the film's ASA rating were the ultimate weapons available to the amateur.
May I ask what camera you bought? It seems to have an excellent zoom ratio and the clarity is great. Are you using a tripod for the long shots or are you blessed with amazing stability?
I bought my first digital camera in 1997. A Sony Mavica MVC-FD7 that stored about 20 photos on a 3.5" Floppy Disk and had a very good ten times zoom that was a nice feature.
I have gone through a few since then and presently use a Canon Power shot SX 120 that does a decent job and fits in a back pocket instead of a shoulder bag, a feature that has become my biggest priority.
I enjoy using a couple of free sites for editing and resizing and have a copy of an older Photoshop program that is far too powerful and complicated for my needs. Photoshop offers a trimmed down version at a more reasonable cost and I was about to buy it when I came across this on line editor which works well. http://pixlr.com/. Another is Irfanview  http://www.irfanview.com/

BLeafe:

--- Quote from: hankmc on March 19, 2011, 12:01:43 PM ---May I ask what camera you bought? I...presently use a Canon Power shot SX 120...
--- End quote ---

After a lot of research, the hands-down winner was the Canon SX 130 IS. The zoom is 12X (28-336) and that was a must for me.

I have a Mac and - believe it or not - do almost all my photo editing in the super-simple iPhoto program that came with the computer.

hankmc:
The SX 130 is an excellent camera and would have been my choice if Canon had it available as part of the trade in program I used to buy the SX 120.

My previous Canon Power Shot 60 had a problem that Canon said would cost me $130. to repair. They also had an SX 120 refurbished for the same price so I opted for that. Canon has a decent support system, they took the Power Shot back and repaired a color problem that they announced on their website as a recall after I had owned the camera a few years. 

My only complaint with the 120 is it's lack of a viewfinder since using the screen in bright sun light is difficult at times. 

BLeafe:
I don't have a viewfinder either.

To answer your other question..........no tripod was used during the courthouse area shoot. It was bright and sunny, so shutter speeds were fast enough - even zoomed out. Plus, both the camera and I have Image Stabilization. ;)

New image: all 3 colors are lit in one direction and 2 are lit in the other at Union and Passaic streets:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version