Author Topic: Greetings Hackensack!  (Read 13724 times)

Offline rbnowak

• View Profile
Greetings Hackensack!
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »
   My name is Rick and in case you are wondering who I am I happen to be the son of  Richard A. Nowakowski  My father graduated Hackensack High School in 1957 and his father was the late mayor of Hackensack in the late 50's early 60's his name is Walter E Nowakowski, My great-grandfather came from Klimetow Poland and he immigrated in 1907 to NY at Liberty Island who then was the first of our family tree to have put their seed in Hackensack NJ!

I have never lived in Hackensack but I remember the times of my youth visiting the beautiful city and I recall during the early 1970's eating a B&W crumb cake and eating mussels and a pizza at the Old Judge. I'm sure the city has changed like everything but I was curious to know if anyone in this forum remembers these people?

I do have an Aunt who currently lives in Northern New Jersey by the name of Regina Sterns Nowakowski  and finally, Albin Nowakowski of Maywood, N.J. my great uncle or brother of Walter E Nowakowski

Thank you,

Sincerely,
Rick Nowakowski 

*Hackensack trivia- Were you aware that the street "Tracy Place" was named after my sister? My grandfather almost named the court in my name but it "fell through" during city planning and was to be named"Ricky Court"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:56:58 PM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings Hackensack!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:45 AM »

Those people are all ancient ancient history.  I think that his picture is still on the Hall of Fame on the 3rd floor of city hall, with all the other former mayors.  Just a face on the wall from a bygone era, that's it.

I would like to know more about your family's connection with the apartments on Tracy Place.  I remember them being built, sometime around 1970.  Was the mayor the developer ?  And I was also told that originally the buildings were to have been taller, but with a smaller footprint and about the same number of units.  Any truth to that.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
Wow. Just Watching- you really know how to make someone feel welcome.   :-\

Indeed, there is a portrait of Mayor Nowakowski outside the council chambers and I will try to take a picture and post here.

Thanks for sharing your memories. We have posts about the Old Judge and B&W Bakery on these boards. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:27:59 PM by Editor »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:52 AM »
I remember Walter well. He was a heck of a guy and never had anything bad to say about anybody or the City. Before he became mayor he used to play the drums a few nights a week I think in South Hackensack. After that he worked for Public Service.

Offline rbnowak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
 Thanks Editor, and keep me updated with your findings. I recently found out that my father is on the hall of fame/ top athletes or something like that in HHS ?

-just watching er, thanks for your lukewarm welcome or whatever you would call your response?  To answer your questions about Tracy Place I have no idea of the dynamics because I was 6 years old in 1970. All I know is that it was named after my sister, sorry.

History may be history but I'm just here to learn it, and I'm sure my kids may appreciate it as well.

Offline rbnowak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Hello Homer you sir are correct! My grandfather used to play for the Reynolds Orchestra and he did work for Public Service as an investigator. 

As a young teenager living in Connecticut I received those very drums you might have heard, and they were in the house approximately a year before my mother decided I should take on a different hobby!  :angel:

Offline hankmc

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »
B&W crumb cake and Old Judge pizza. The Judge was the best place to bring your kids for thin crust oily cheesy pizza. Before and after you ate they could run around the dining room with other kids and no one minded at all. Great juke box too.

I remember going up to the kitchen area to pay your bill at the end of the meal. The elderly waitress had all the patience in the world for us noisy intruders.

The only place I remember that came close to being this kid friendly was Hagler's in Oradell.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
oily cheesy pizza.

That's why on the rare occasion that my family would go out to eat....I would always vote to go to Pinto's on green st...for pizza and mussel's...I liked Pinto's pie better...

Welcome Rick.......

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »

Sorry about the "lukewarm" response.  He was way before my time, I'm glad some of the older contributors here remember him.

One thing I do know is that he was involved in the issue of Route 80 coming through the old 1st ward (SE Hackensack).  That was back when that part of the city was very heavily Polish and Italian.  It was very controversial, and it got a lot of people involved in local politics.

I think that he served as Mayor more than once, and that he was a Councilman for many other years.  He was involved in local politics for over 15 years.  Maybe someone else can post what years he served as Mayor, and what years as Councilman.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
Here you go:

Offline rbnowak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
 ;D That is fantastic, and thank you so much

Offline hankmc

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
oily cheesy pizza.

That's why on the rare occasion that my family would go out to eat....I would always vote to go to Pinto's on green st...for pizza and mussel's...I liked Pinto's pie better...

Welcome Rick.......

"oily cheesy" was meant as a compliment to their pizza not a complaint. ;D

Offline rbnowak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 11:21:44 PM »
 My cousin Blair (Sterns) got pretty emotional when he saw the pictures. He is the son of Craig Sterns/ Regina Nowakowski and he lives in Northern Jersey.

I told him that the admin of this board may when he has the time research my fathers Hall of Fame picture in Hackensack HS class of '57  He played both football and baseball.

It's sort of odd that I have a Hackensack High School Comets wall clock in my bedroom!

anything