Author Topic: Area in need of Rehabilitation  (Read 398598 times)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Area in need of Rehabilitation
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2014, 07:30:34 AM »
Great article.  I agree with Homer on his cost estimate, and if not it is on the low side. Could easily be $2M.  And yes, it would involve the County's cooperation.

Regarding the traffic flow, I was in downtown Ramsey that other day working, and had to travel their Main Street, with has one lane in each direction and parking on both side, just like the genius plan for Hackensack.  It was pure gridlock, and I wasted 10 minutes to go 3 blocks. And it was not because of a UPS truck parking to make a delivery, or a bus stopping to discharge and pick up passengers. 

Random cars ahead of me were interested in making left turns, and they had to wait for the opportunity because traffic was heavy in the other direction, which meant all the cars behind them were also waiting.  I am starting to think this will be the biggest problem in downtown Hackensack, of all the factors weighing against the traffic flow change.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2014, 07:49:27 AM »
Word has reached me that NJ Transit has already been advised of the problems coming with the proposed change in traffic flow on Main and State Streets, and the impact on their bus routes.  They are not happy and their bus planning department is supposedly looking into it.

Offline Whitey

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »
I remember when Main Street was 2 way and the bumper-to-bumper traffic.  A single car attempting to back into a parking space would tie up traffic in both directions.  The planners have stated that redevelopment will not work without 2-way traffic and have cited examples of other redevelopment sites, but none are comparable to Hackensack.  Some, like Edgewater’s City Place, have a center divider and even then traffic can be a mess.  Ramsey is a good example, I usually look for a parallel street when driving in downtown Ramsey.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »
During the two-way days, people who unsuccessfully tried to parallel-park on the first attempt weren't the only problem. I remember people who thought that a space might be opening up, so they just sat there while packages and people were loaded into the parked vehicle.

You could honk all day and they wouldn't move. Neither would traffic.

I wasn't happy when Main St became one-way, but the advantages became obvious over the years. It would be foolish to go back to two-way.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:21:01 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »
http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/n-j-liquor-license-reform-brewing-for-new-year-1.1174900

The New Year may ring in with long-awaited liquor-license reform, with yet another effort at an overhaul brewing.
The goal is to support downtowns and redevelopment projects, because small local restaurants need liquor licenses in order to survive, Jacobs and NAIOP have argued. Smaller eateries often can't afford licenses, or there are none available in their towns to purchase.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now