Author Topic: Photos: The Hackensack Auto Show at FDU  (Read 5405 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Photos: The Hackensack Auto Show at FDU
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
Here's what caught my eye this morning. I liked most of these cars except for the Willys, which was kinda ugly, and the Caddy with the added dual exhausts, which look stupid - especially since dual exhausts were built into the car just below the taillights. And the dog had no seat belt.

Entrants were still arriving (see last photo) when I left. Despite the presence of kettle corn, Larry the Cable Guy was nowhere to be seen.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline hankmc

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Photos: The Hackensack Auto Show at FDU
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
I knew a man who had a couple of old restored Buicks which was his collectible of choice...the cars lived in an air conditioned garage.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Photos: The Hackensack Auto Show at FDU
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
Two car shows benefit community causes
Last updated: Sunday June 26, 2011, 7:04 PM
BY HUGH R. MORLEY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Even as President Obama prepares to pull troops from Afghanistan, the family of Westwood's Marine Sgt. Christopher R. Hrbek, who died in the war-torn nation, are hoping to continue honoring his memory by helping others who show a commitment to public service.

The Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corps hosted the Hackensack Classic Car Show. Scores of high-end, exotic car owners showed off their wheels Sunday at a car show organized by Hrbek's family to raise funds for a scholarship fund in his name, which has just made its first award. JOE CAMPOREALE/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

The show was one of two in North Jersey on Sunday that sought to use the public's fascination with exotic cars to support community initiatives. In Hackensack, the Volunteer Ambulance Corps mounted a show with about 200 vehicles to raise awareness of the group's work and to show off two newly acquired ambulances.

Amy Dellentash, 35, Hrbek's sister, said she hoped to raise several thousand dollars from a 50-50 raffle and car entrance fees for the event, which drew several dozen Ferraris, Porsches and Lamborghinis, as well as a DeLorean.

The scholarship fund aims to support Westwood High School students who show Hrbek's commitment to public service, rather than those who only obtain good grades. Hrbek, a volunteer fire cadet at age 15, enlisted as a Marine as soon as he was 18, his sister said.

"Christopher was not your typical student," said Dellentash, adding that although he suffered from attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder, he showed that "somebody who had struggles could still succeed" and become a "hero" to many people. Hrbek was awarded a Bronze Star posthumously for helping save the life of a sergeant major who stepped on an improvised explosive device and lost both his legs.

Upcoming events to support the scholarship fund include a clay shoot on Aug. 26. The fund recently made its first award to Dylan Marshall, who is planning a law enforcement career.

Hrbek, who died on Jan. 14, 2010, when he stepped on an explosive device while on patrol in the Helmand province in Afghanistan, was one of 1,500 Americans killed in the war. Obama said last week that he would remove 10,000 troops from Afghanistan next month, the start of a drawdown that the president said will result in the U.S. handing over security for the nation to the Afghans in 2014.

Dellentash declined to comment on Obama's announcement, but recalled her brother's statement on the necessity of the war.

"Chris always told me that if we were not over there, that they [terrorists] would be over here," she said. "And I know that they need to be there."

Nearby, Lenny Sabino, an Iraq war veteran, said he brought his red 1990 Ferrari in part to show it off, and in part to support the scholarship fund.

"It's a phenomenal gesture, especially for a guy who gave the ultimate sacrifice," said Sabino, 49, of Washington Township.

The Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corps organized its classic car meet in part to showcase two newly acquired ambulances that the organization believes are the only ones of their kind in New Jersey.

Most ambulances power their air conditioning and heating systems from the generator in the main engine, which provides enough energy to lower or increase the temperature by only a few degrees, said Corps president Brian Corcoran.

"It's a constant problem," he said, as the car show filled up with Model T Fords, 1950s Chevrolets and other classic vehicles. "It's a problem that's almost expected in ambulances."

The corps' new vehicles, made in Texas, have a separate generator that can provide enough power to lower or raise the temperature inside the ambulance as necessary, he said.

E-mail: morley@northjersey.com