Author Topic: CSPNJ Services for Homeless: Susbtance Abusers and Mentally Ill - Pro and/or Con  (Read 29437 times)

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • Weap Integration in planniNG (Weaping)
I see that the points are being overlooked regarding the application and the merit of the application along with the merit of CSP-NJ

The Company CSPNJ has been running "On Our Own" as a "Drop In Center"  WORSE CSPNJ does no risk assessment, or background checks  for any of the: Paroled Criminals; Drug Addicts; other offenders, AS WELL as the mentally ill "members" that CSPNJ attracts to Hackensack. "Pedophiles" were used as an example as other examples would be; Rapists, Drug Dealers, Criminally Insane, etc. There is a potential for any  nightmare to be brought into the city  from Bergen and other counties all over  New Jersey.  The risk of the center expanding is real just as the certainty that their other company would be creating housing all over the city in the form of safe houses, and group homes which would avert zoning laws and do not need application. Nearly 50 people from the Neighborhood showed up in opposition to the application.  The County Mental Health Board is now looking into the matter. It was suggested that centers such as this should be in the area of Bergen Regional where treatment could be maintained and patients could be monitored. Also CSPNJ members should require application and cross-checking fopr criminal history and violent behavior/assessment.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
What do the merchants on Main Street think about this ?

On one hand, they are moving from the middle of the business district to the southern tip.  But will that really make an improvement for the merchants near Atlantic Street, Banta Place, or Camden Street.

All of the clients will still be wandering around Hackensack. No matter which location they are based out of, the downtown business district is going to be where they can beg for money, hang out in the library, buy liquor or snacks, and generally be around and about.  It will just take them a few minutes longer to walk there, that's all.  Give them a little exercize. 

They only difference is that the new CSPNJ facility is going to be much bigger, and there will be many more of them.

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
I spent two weeks walking around with clip board (sometimes with a with a tie)  getting comments from legal professionals/clerical, and county workers on this issue.  I  have found the overwhelming majority of women are not comfortable leaving their offices, and have been for quite some time; let alone walk, or even drive further uptown after work. By adding more homeless to the high density business district the stigma of Hackensack will be further destroyed, and with it any hope of economic recovery for uptown Main Street.  Word of  mouth travels fast and it is this word of mouth from people who work here that makes print and radio advertisements for Hackensack business practically useless. There were more homeless and people on medication at the last Hackensack Night Out, than Hackensack Citizens. I recognized no less than seven of them as regular attendees at "On Our Own" (CSPNJ)I am not exaggerating. Overall this Summer, there were about 70%  less people have been going to The Green from offices to sit or eat their lunch. If there are more here the WILL spill up over to upper Main Street, as many do now.  CSPNJ in a letter to me encourages integration into the community.  The best thing for CSPNJ is to move to another town.
CSPNJ  wants to expand and move other sister companies into that building. The amount of Homeless, Addicts, and Released Criminals  (also served by CSPNJ's "On Our Own") that are informed about Hackensack services will increase. As CSPNJ increases the demand of a willing Hackensack, more private organizations will spring up all over Main Street. Panhandlers and Substance abusers will still  travel up main street to beg, assemble, and hang around, as do the harmless mentally ill members who are more attracted to the heart of Main Street. This integration with the community is encouraged by CSPNJ. I estimate that for every one of the Hackensack chapter (On Our Own) members 30, there are at least 20 per year that come to Hackensack seeking CSPNJ referrals for things like: Group; Meeting others; Housing Applications; Food Pantries; Homeless Shelter; Church Based Help Centers... CSPNJ's "On Our Own" is a Walk-in and Referral center more than it is a ""Training Program"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:46:50 PM by Oratam_Weaping »

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
What do the merchants on Main Street think about this ?

On one hand, they are moving from the middle of the business district to the southern tip.  But will that really make an improvement for the merchants near Atlantic Street, Banta Place, or Camden Street.

All of the clients will still be wandering around Hackensack. No matter which location they are based out of, the downtown business district is going to be where they can beg for money, hang out in the library, buy liquor or snacks, and generally be around and about.  It will just take them a few minutes longer to walk there, that's all.  Give them a little exercize. 

They only difference is that the new CSPNJ facility is going to be much bigger, and there will be many more of them.

I you read my entire last post aove this quote, I think the main point is that MORE support services will move in, as will the many non-member drop-ins who use CSPNJ refferes to find an existence in Hackensack from 21 other CSPNJ locations statewide. By bringing all their services to hackensack along with other members CSPNJ can close down other operations, save on rents, and be moving people all over Hackensack who are located all over the state.

What to do with the homeless who are not likely to respond to treatment, and mentally ill who cannot cope within a city environment: what we need to do is make a nice country environment where they can farm, tend to the horses, or be close to nature and contribute to the economy. Far away from the drug deals, liquer stores, and handouts,... They will feel they are part of something as they dry out and be slowly acclaimated into society from rural New Jersey, to small towns, and eventually landing a job in the city... the culture shock from being institutionalized and being put back into a city environment, can rarely be handled by even the most likely candidates from any of the classes of "mental Illness" classified as such by SAMSHA. These people all need therapy in an environment that is less confusing and less challenging until such time they are ready.

Bergen County Parks Dept., Bergen Regional, and County Public Works should employ those that are serious about rehabilitaion. Community services could help these people be productive in every city in the county, and they can contribute to the tax base while beautifying Bergen county towns. Then the distribution of housing would be fair and welcomed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:28:45 PM by Oratam_Weaping »

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
To Clarify again.

I feel that I am being singled out by people who may not be reading the posts the way that I ytul;y believe I am intending them. I understand that there are [people who support the efforts of CSPNJ buy I am talking about the system, and placement, and drain on state and local tax dollars and economy. Me and a friend are one of six places that I know (by conversations with owners whos cell numbers I still have) closed their businesses because of the element on Main Street Hackensack.

1) my ISSUE WAS NEVER with the Developmentally Disabled or Mentally  Ill . Although I feel that the central business district of any city or town is not an optimum place for integratioon, and feel a more gradual and professionally guided assimilation is neccessary, such as a suburb near a park; would be suitable,  within walking distance to stores.  My issue was never to poke fun or call THEM undwesirable. It's the Homess and trouble makers I was talking about, along with the many who abuse the system, and use CSPNJ as a clearinghouse of information and services.

2) My issue IS, as I confidently presented, those who allowed to be DEFINED as Mentally Ill by SAMSHA that CSP-NJ advertises their statewide services to, and include: Released Prisoners; Criminals with history of Mental Illness and behavioral problems; Sex Offenders; Drug Addicts; Alcoholics; etc

3) That CSPNJ does not screen the people who drop in, or they interview, refer, or accepts; and in placing flyers to facilities which are intended for those  described in #2 (above), CSPNJ attracts them to the city of Hackensack where they are reffered county taxpayer services, and to free private services. They end up mixing with "questionable" populations in the troubled areas and rooming houses, in Hackensack and staying here.

anything