Author Topic: Teterboro Airport  (Read 450062 times)

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Teterboro Airport
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »
Can’t wait to see all the good folks from Maywood and Rochelle Park coming out to support this new approach.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:43:31 PM by Homer Jones »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »
There as once a proposal to extend Banta Place from Main Street to Moore Street, and to knock down whatever is in the way. At the time, the bank headquarters sitting right there was the largest building in Hackensack. Someone was making proposal looking at a map, and not field checking the recommendations before making them.

This proposal to close Teterboro Airport is right up there with the Banta Place extension, in terms of feasibility and credibility. It's just stupid.  I'm just laughing hysterical at the thought of Port Authority conceding a major facility to sea level rise.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2018, 02:56:00 AM »
If my memory is correct, there was a proposal from forty or fifty years ago to extend Central Avenue to Main Street to entice residents from the newly constructed Prospect Avenue high rises to shop on Main Street.
Regarding Banta Place, I remember talk about making it a pedestrian shopping area and not extending it thru to Moore Street.

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2018, 06:52:07 AM »
yes, Homer, I remember that one.  One of many downtown proposals that sat gathering dust.  The one I was talking about for Banta Place extending eastwards was much older, and it was something I found while researching things. It wasn't a current news story I experienced. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2018, 08:14:31 AM »
Eric, this looks misplaced. Where did you mean to reply?

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Arthur Godfrey's "Teterboro Tower" 45rpm record
« Reply #221 on: October 03, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »
Just found my old "Teterboro Tower" 45 by Arthur Godfrey (the Recordvelope sleeve is not the original). This was a real incident that took place at Teterboro Airport in 1954.

From Wikipedia:

In January 1954, Godfrey buzzed the control tower of Teterboro Airport. His certificate was suspended for six months. Godfrey claimed the windy conditions that day required him to turn immediately after takeoff, but in fact he was peeved with the tower because they would not give him the runway he requested. He later recorded a satirical song about the incident, "Teterboro Tower," roughly to the tune of "Wabash Cannonball".

The song:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:49:00 PM by BLeafe »
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »