Author Topic: good/bad areas of hackensack?  (Read 26280 times)

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
good/bad areas of hackensack?
« on: August 11, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
Hi,
might be renting in Hackensack soon. Want to be within walking distance of one of the train stations. What I was wondering is what areas are "bad" or higher-crime. I know that Hackensack, being in Bergen County, doesn't have much crime to worry about at all, but I may come back by myself or with a date from NYC some night later at night like 11:00 or later from the train station. How is the Anderson Street area? Do homeless people sleep in Anderson Park? The whole area has a bit of a seedy feel to it, and there were plenty of people just loitering, then again it was like 5:00 pm, so everbody would be back from work at that time. And I thought I saw some homeless guys in Anderson Park. Would the area on Main street around New Bridge Landing be better? I don't know why, but it "looks" better? Is that even meaningful?  I mean on the one hand it's a busier street, so in theory criminals wouldn't do as much stuff there because they don't want so many eyes on them. Then again why wouldn't a residential area like Anderson st be better in that regard? Makes me wonder about the whole issue of which areas of towns actually experience more crime and don't. I don't know if I can believe the whole "look" thing. I know Prospect ave. is the nice area of town, but is it really going to have less crime when it's only a block or two away from a seedy-looking area like Anderson Street?
How about the Essex street are, up on the hill. Again, somehow because it's a busy, open street it looks less "bad".

How about the downtown Main street? Would it be dangerous one night to just walk to a restaurant and eat there and walk back, let's say 9:00-10:00 with a date?

Or have I overall just gotten too used to Northern Bergen County?

Offline hackensack_newbie

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: good/bad areas of hackensack?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
Hi Edwin,

I've only lived in Hackensack/Bergen for 3 years. Before that, I used to live in Hudson County, so I feel that this is a "step up" for me. It's certainly a nicer area with less crime. However, from what I've heard, Railroad Ave. is one of those areas you want to stay away from. The Anderson area is ok, but I certainly wouldn't go for a stroll at night, particularly around the train station. The corner of Main and Anderson where Sears is looks to be fine, but then there's not much to do there unless you're shopping at Sears. As for Main itself, I would feel safe parking and eating at a local restaurant, but I've never walked on Main, so I can't comment on what the ambience is there.

I think general rule of thumb as explained to me is that Hackensack is nicer and safer north of Anderson and west of Prospect.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 07:50:13 AM »
I would add the area west of Polify Road and south of Route 80.  Also the SE corner of Hackensack, south of Route 80.  And the NE corner, especially the Shops At Riverside

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • Weap Integration in planniNG (Weaping)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »
Edwin. Contrary to popular opinion. There are really no high crime areas in Hackensack. It's a matter of fear by the observer, or in some cases bigotry. Hackensack is safe and getting safer.

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »
I agree with Oratam.  After reading last week's newspapers, crime does not elude Basking Ridge or Upper Saddle River.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »

I think the point being made is that areas with more transient people, including homeless and mentally ill wandering around the neighborhoods are less desirable than other areas of the city.  I would include boarding houses in that category as well.

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
Main Street... Bad Area... the whole strip... I have spoken with over 300 Hispanic, and 200 Black people over the past four weeks. Good family-oriented, law-abiding, hard-working people about  Main Street and  the Homeless. They are up in arms more now than before. They live here and have a right to complain about more services moving closer to their homes. Main Street is less desirable as a whole and they are shopping elsewhere, and not happy that  because of the Transients,  Vagrants, Released Prisoners who all are elligable to walk in and utilize CSPNJ refferals to local pantries, churches, groups/clubs and services. The people from the South Ward who drive, drive away from Hackensack to shop, and at a meeting many have niotred that when people move out undesirables move into the vacany houses/apartments and theyv are thinking of moving. The reason they want to move is BECAUSE of the homeless.  The people from the South Ward who still occasionally walk up Main Street are set to abandon Main Street. The center on 179 Main (Mercer) should not move to the Court House and would be better serving actual mentally ill people near a medical facility and more carefully integrate them into society.  Look... NO AREA on Main Street in Hackensack can EVER be gentrified like the Waterfront at Jersey city by simply moving a perpetuating homeless mill from one area to another.

Online Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
I respectfully disagree.  I've lived and worked on or near Main Street for the better part of my life.  Main Street has its problems like any downtown but it is not a "bad area" by any stretch.  Call my opinion biased (I'm the Director of Main Street Business Alliance) but Main Street is a safe, clean and well managed strip thanks to a dedicated group of volunteers and a supportive city administration.  We continue to work with the appropriate agencies to address "homelessness".  The program described below is just one example.  Our group also worked with the Sheriff's office to address the release of prisoners. For more about what we are doing, see our newsletter (new edition to be published soon). Edwin, come down to Main Street one day and have lunch.  See for yourself.

I speak to Main Street people about their concerns on daily basis.  Crime and safety are not high on the list, - the economy is.  For the record, in my seven years serving on this board, I have never heard any complaints about 179 Main Street, CSPNJ or the people they serve. In fact, 179 Main Street performed extensive exterior renovations at our request and boasts one of the most attractive facades in the district, thanks in part to our facade grant program.

In my personal opinion, I believe that the developmentally disabled should be fully accepted by their communities.  Too bad that fear, bias and misunderstanding prevent that from happening. There is no easy solution to the "homelessness" issue but its symptoms are manageable with the right programs in place.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:53:10 PM by Editor »

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
Respectfully. By the indications made to me by enough people I have had opportunity to speak with it is apparent to me, that the move to One Essex Strreet is supported (if not suggested) by the Upper Main Street Alliance, and certain neighbors who own building(s) around Main/Mercer. I feel that is a conflict of interest being that the administrative staff operate businesses north of the "Mason Dixon Line"  we feel that the "Alliance" is putting this move Square on the back of the Hispanic, Black, and Italian Community to further their own interests despite that we tax payers and renters will be the ones to suffer. Expect a well funded and supported and growing boycott (In English, Spanish, Korean, Italian) of Upper Main Street should 1 Essex Street be occupied by CSPNJ.

I believe what you are doing is a potentially good thing. People may even flock to hackensack to buy vouchers to feed the homeless. The word may even get around state wide and bring more here.  have you considered they may end upselling these vouchers? It should be amusing... Come to Hackensack.. feed the Homeless. Hopefully they will not become as abundant as the pidgeons of Rome.

On the other hand if WE The People of the South Ward are NOT encroached upon by CSPNJ, expect equally well funded support. We might be the people most likely to shop  upper main street. The decision is in your hands and we know it.

Respectfully, from the person who layed the groundwork for NJ Shuttle Pilot Program; The County Seat; The ANC Free South Africa Concerts; Rock Against Drugs at Byrne Arena in conjucntion with the BCDAA.

We The People of the South Ward and Hackensack as a whole, would preffer you work with us and not for your own interests. Suggest another location... Not in The South Ward and not in Minority neighborhoods.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:02:39 PM by Oratam_Weaping »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »

That might be a little strong of a statement, Mr. Oratam, considering that the day before you said there were no bad areas of Hackensack and that only bigotry decides what is good or bad. Let's see what side of the bed you wake up on tomorrow.

The EDITOR commented that CSPNJ programs are for the developmentally disabled.  Is this true ???  I thought the programs were for the mentally ill, and especially as a drop-in center for people who are mentally ill and decide they want counselling or other services.  Perhaps to try to catch the next Timothy McVeigh before they shoot up a day care center or something like that.  Does CSPNJ have two programs.  About 10 years ago, CSPNJ/On Your Own had an open house for the community to see their program. I attended and I didn't see people with autism or cerebral palsy. I saw mentally ill people there, most of whom appeared to be on the track for recovery, but some of which I had doubts.

This really needs to be clarified, and it really makes a profound difference in what type of threat the CSPNJ program is to the targeted neighborhood. I also agree that the developmentally disabled pose no real threat.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »
Just what I have been trying to say all along. People with mental illness come in all shapes and sizes and all different capabilities. Often drug problems are related to the mental illness, sometimes you don't know which came first. Drug problems can lead to legal problems, which can lead to jail. So, that is why I  thought the inflammatory posts (potential pedophiles) were out of line. Thank you Editor for speaking your piece on this topic.

And to clarify one more point, it may be a "drop-in center" but you need to be a member (on file) to do so.

Oratam - all I can say is WOW to your last post.

Online Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »
Two points of clarification: 1. The Alliance did not take a position on moving CSPNJ, for or against. 2.  I understand that "On Our Own" (CSPNJ) serves people with emotional and developmental problems but I may be wrong.  At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if emotional, developmental, psychological and social disorders are directly related to each other in many cases.  My point is that societal understanding, compassion and acceptance are key towards finding a long-term solution.

Oratam- I have to say that your invective is alarming to say the least. To use terms like "undesirables", "pidgeons" and "encroach" is downright frightening.  These are not "people" in your mind, but something much, much less.   

Tone down the hate.  I won't have it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:36:41 AM by Editor »

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 07:50:52 AM »
CSPNJ shows only the tip of the iceberg, and that's by design. *Homeless, *released prisoners, *drug addicts, *alcoholics ,are also in the scope of their services and receive their hand-outs statewide, in the surrounding areas where CSPNJ operates at over 20 locations, at least one in every county, listing On Our Own as one of two Bergen CSPNJ locations. I would not doubt that there are also verbal recommendations from the other CSPNJ centers to visit Hackensack  because all the County and Private services in Hackensack; which are growing and located within walking distance to each other.

SAMSHA guidelines allows the pre-mentioned [ * above by asterik]  to be classified as in the service scope of mentally ill.  ON Our Own also operates a school, and real estate housing operation under a different company using the same officers. One local realtor admits that he has recieved  more than a few calls from CSPNJ, and family members asking for apartments, and rooms in Hackensack. I have posted the application and the applicant does not have to have a history of treatment. That is to find local housing in group homes (Regular apartments) so that the homeless shelter can free up more space for homeless coming from other counties. Bergen County is under pressure to to take homeless from other counties because it is more populated and have a richer median salary base. On Our Own has multiple purposes and this is the way the state will work with private sector to take the pressure of of Passaic, Hudson, and Camden counties. 

Mental illness or developmental disability is not a prerequisite to have CSPNJ' sister company them find an apartment.   There is a percentage of developmentally disabled that "On our Own" SERVES. Their drop-in clients, and regular members do not have to be developmentally disabled technically, or not limited to psychiatric problems or have a history or treatment to receive services. While a reasonable amount of regular members are developmentally disabled or suffer from psychiatric problems, CSPNJ reaches out to drug treatment centers, by way .

CSPNJ encourages people from all over the state to drop-in to "On Our Own" and prospective members may do that more than once and often instead of register hang around outside, smoking, drinking, or go for walks and panhandle. Registered members do not have to use their real name, and for certain they do not have to discuss their criminal or medical history with CSPNJ. That is what is frightening because Members SHOULD be certified medically by a State bd Certified Psychiatrist, before they are integrated into a community with so many children, and criminal records for all applicants Must be issued to Hackensack PD and  Bergen County Police before CSPNJ is allowed to operate in Hackensack.  But that will not change the fact, that the working class people of the South Ward will move out at a faster rate, leaving Hackensack to be populated by welfare families.

Who the "Homeless" or "Mentalli Ill" are; who can be termed Mentally Ill;  and who CSPNJ serves, is a question of semantics, and evolving needs, as well as what SAMSHA defines as the broad scope of mental illness. Our group will be sending representatives to the Bergen County Freeholders Meetings; to address this issue of public and private social services, and their impact on Hackensack; and, demand the creation of a citizen-based  representative task force to address these issues consisting of resident voters and community, and religious leaders; not restricted to South Ward residents only.

We have already introduced ideas for draft legislation to allow for more strict and defined zoning and planning laws in the City of Hackensack to require that private help centers, who work independantly, or collaborate with such agencies public or private should abide by a standard set of ruiles and guidlines, by cooperating with local law enforcement and medical clinics approved by a government agency.  And, we intend to work with Hackensack City on protecting the economic recovery for Hackensack in this way. And; We The People, do not want a war with anyone, but we are willing and able to fight for our property rights as renters, owners, and will do anything and everything it takes to ensure the safety of our children.

While the need for privatization  may help with government spending, I also do not see it in this case. The Honorable Kathleen Donovan will need to prove this on paper for her re-election. CSPNJ in my opinion is a far cry from saving the taxpayers or offering a viable alternative to existing services. The county needs to work more efficiently by making their existing county services and agencies work efficiently, and stop pretending to save New Jersey tax dollars where the grants and funding for private programs like CSPNJ that use a back door funding to exist, via New Jersey Taxpayers.

cc: The Honorable Kathleen Donovan
cc: North Jersey Tea Party
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:22:11 PM by Oratam_Weaping »

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 08:41:59 PM »
I've picked up dinner at night (around 9:00ish) to take home from Bangkok Garden at least once 5+ years ago, Main didn't seem that bad - no worse than any other street at night

You know what, here's my two cents after looking more for an apartment; I doubt Anderson can be that bad, because even though it sort of looked "ghetto" to me, the rents are more expensive there! I'm picking more the New Bridge Landing/Kinderkamack Bend area because I get more apartment for the same money

I know there are some homeless people in Hackensack, but are there really ex-cons wandering around? That can't be good

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 06:38:22 AM »
I want to clarify a statement that I made earlier in this thread.  When I said that "I agree with Oratam.  After reading last week's newspapers, crime does not elude Basking Ridge or Upper Saddle River," that is the only thing that I agree with in most of his statements.  When we think so much of ourselves that we can label people who clearly need help in such a negative way, then maybe we should be the ones seeking help! Oratam, where is your compassion?