Author Topic: EARTHQUAKE!!  (Read 10234 times)

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • Weap Integration in planniNG (Weaping)
EARTHQUAKE!!
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:01:14 PM »
Built in 1879 this house shook  at least two inches side to side at the attic apartment where i live and has come away with not even so much as a crack in any original plaster surface. How is everybody doing?

[post script- I was so rattled I spelled worse than ever. ]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:10:16 PM by Oratam_Weaping »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: EARTHQUAKE!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
About 15 minutes ago, my building shook violently enough to knock things off shelves and scare the crap out of me.

I saw lots of people outside local buildings, including everyone from Comprehensive Behavioral HealthCare at State and Ward. There must be a hundred people from there in the E lot right now.

More later.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:21:33 PM by BLeafe »
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »
I checked the time when I first felt something: 1:52pm

From: http://www.northjersey.com/news/Pentagon_being_evacuated_after_possible_earthquake_felt_in_DC_area.html

Earthquake hits Virginia area; Bergen County courthouse evacuated
Tuesday, August 23, 2011    Last updated: Tuesday August 23, 2011, 2:09 PM
STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
The Record

A 5.8 earthquake in Virginia has been felt Tuesday afternoon in Washington, New York City and North Carolina.

The Bergen County courthouse shook violently enough for people inside to evacuate. The federal courthouse in Newark also shook, although there were no reports of evacuations there.

The earthquake was reported in Virginia, about 87 miles southwest from Washington, D.C., according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The Pentagon is being evacuated, according to a report.

Buildings in New York City shook briefly Tuesday afternoon. Government buildings in the city, including City Hall, were evacuated. The 26-story federal courthouse in lower Manhattan began swaying and hundreds of people were seen leaving the building. Court officers weren't letting people back in.

Continue to check back for updates on this developing story.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Everyone was outside on Main St. too.  People were very freaked out.

:-X :-X :-X

Hopefully that's the end of it.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
Ol' Homer is down in Spring Lake today and you could feel a little swaying on a chair; but, that was it.

Offline hankmc

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
I was outside and felt nothing while my neighbor across the street came out and said her house had just been shaking.

My son lives near Richmond Va. and he said the house shook enough that he had to grab a door frame to keep his balance, he said the epicenter was about 40 miles from his location.

Offline hhscomets_alum

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
I'm in South Jersey, just came in from a bike ride along the Delaware Bay....was sitting in my recliner for a few minutes....was watching tv where I had just seen that last night Colorado had the worst quake in 42 years...a 5.3 quake, ... and then the wall unit in the living room started shaking and the wind chimes in the kitchen started ringing, and the chandelier over the table was swinging!!! I realized no open windows or wind was causing the chimes to ring, so I ran out of the house in my bare feet!!!  The reports are we had a 5.9 on the scale in my area.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:38:57 PM by hhscomets_alum »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »
The way that Ol' Homer sees it: If you were a drinker before the earthquake, you probably stopped; if you weren't, you probably started.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
Here's the evacuation scene at Comprehensive Behavioral HealthCare and the E parking lot 7 minutes after the quake struck:

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
Hackensack reacts to earthquake
Last updated: Friday September 2, 2011, 1:21 AM
MANAGING EDITOR
Hackensack Chronicle

The 5.8-magnitude earthquake that rumbled up and down the East Coast around 2 p.m. on Aug. 23 was a real surprise to people more used to traffic jams than tectonic plate shifts.

Reaction to the quake radiated throughout Hackensack in residents startled by the sudden seismic occurrence.

"I was looking outside on Main Street, and the car out front was rocking back and forth," said Roxxy George, a Hackensack resident who works at a local hair salon. "I thought 'Why is it shaking?' I wondered that maybe a truck had drove by. Then people started coming out of the offices, looking in the sky, looking everywhere."

Crowds did assemble in downtown Hackensack as a result of the quake, including in front of Bergen County Courthouse. On Main Street, feelings about the quake were encapsulated in one word.

"It was weird," said George. "To know it was so far away in Virginia, and feel the effects here, that was crazy. Even my mother felt it in North Carolina. No one knew what it was at the time. Maybe a terrorist attack, you don't know what to think. And thank God it wasn't worse. We don't know what to do around here in an earthquake."

Benito Rivero, the owner of a Main Street restaurant, knew what he needed to do: get back to work.

"I've been in meetings all afternoon," said Rivero. "I'm too busy."

For Nadine Galloway, her busy day at a Hackensack pizzeria was interrupted by what she described as an almost nautical experience.

"I felt the stairs moving like it was a boat," said Galloway, a Hackensack resident. "My co-workers looked at each other and said 'This is not normal.' Everybody felt it. Then everybody was outside and was asking what was that, including some guy who ran out in his underwear."

From his perspective at his barber's chair on Main Street, city resident Ray Reed didn't feel surprised one bit.

"Everybody is destined for something. Sooner or later this is bound to come," said Reed. "It's only a matter of time before we're going to get our own tsunami."

Calling the crowds on Main Street after the event "an earthquake festival" and "a big fire drill," a bemused Capt. Bill Sheehan, head of the Hackensack Riverkeeper environmental advocacy group, looked at the earthquake as business as usual for planet Earth.

"I think Atlas shrugged," said Sheehan. "Thank goodness no one got hurt that we know of, and that none of the nuclear power stations got cracked by it. It was kind of a wake up call for a lot of people in the New York metro area who only think this can happen is Los Angeles. It can happen here. But life goes on now."

Email: bonamo@northjersey.com