Author Topic: RSS feeds  (Read 4743 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
RSS feeds
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »
Anyone using RSS feeds? 

A feed is a browser utility that lets you see new content on a website without actually going there.  Hackensacknow is feed enabled and I have a list of feeds sent to my favorites bar.  See the screenshot below.  When new content is available, RSS will light up. For a full description, see this.

Set-up is fairly simple.  Each browser is a little different but basically you are looking for "feed discovery".  in IE9, it's under Tools. If RSS is available on a given website, feed discovery should tell you.  Some browsers have an RSS icon that turns orange when feeds are available, like this:

Once feeds are detected, you can "subscribe" to them and then indicate how you want the feeds sent.  Some email programs, like Outlook 2007 or later, allow feeds to be sent by email.

The official site at hackensack.org also supports feeds. 

I thought I would just mention it. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:14:49 PM by Editor »

Offline hackensack_newbie

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: RSS feeds
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »
Works pretty well in iGoogle. I'm still trying to figure out the contents of the feed. Is it basically the latest postings rather than unread posts since my last visit?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »
Yep.  I had experimented with with iGoogle for a while but my gadgets kept malfunctioning.  Good concept, bad performance.

Nice use of feeds though. I didn't know you could do that with iGoogle.

Offline hackensack_newbie

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »
It's pretty easy to add an RSS feed to iGoogle, although it's hidden for some reason. You have to hit the "Add Gadgets" button, which will take you to the gadgets directory. At the bottom of the left navigation bar, there's a link for adding feeds.