Author Topic: Bill Iurato, 84  (Read 5039 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Bill Iurato, 84
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »
William Iurato, 84, former police chief for Hackensack
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
BY JAY LEVIN
STAFF WRITER
The Record

William Iurato, who followed his brother as Hackensack police chief, died Sunday. The lifelong Kansas Street resident — "a hometown guy," in his wife's words — was 84.

IURATO

A son of Sicilian immigrants, Mr. Iurato joined the police force in 1952, after his Army service. On Feb. 5, 1966, he jumped and disarmed a man intent on killing his wife in their apartment. Mr. Iurato received the Detective Crime Clinic's "Cop of the Month" award, a tri-state region honor, for his actions.

He was elevated to captain in 1971 and commanded the narcotics squad, often accompanying detectives on raids. He was made acting chief in March 1990 after his brother Anthony Iurato, the chief since 1966, retired. A few months later, he helped detectives arrest two armed men planning a holdup at Burger King.

"It was no big deal," the 63-year-old told a reporter. "I never stopped going on the road."

Mr. Iurato shed the "acting" title soon after. He retired in 1992.

Ute Iurato said her husband was "a true civil servant."

"He would help the homeless, or whoever he'd come across in need," she said. "He was totally devoted to the city."

Capt. Tomas Padilla, officer in charge of the Hackensack Police Department, said Monday that Mr. Iurato and his brother "ushered in the age of modern policing in our city."

In addition to his wife of 47 years, Mr. Iurato is survived by his children, Salvatore Iurato of Oakland, Karen LoFaro of Haworth and Jeffrey Iurato of Hackensack, and two grandchildren.

Visiting is 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at G. Thomas Gentile Funeral Home, Hackensack. The funeral Mass will be Thursday at 11 a.m. at St. Francis R.C. Church, Hackensack. Burial will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Hackensack.

E-mail: levin@northjersey.com

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Iurato, 84
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:20:21 AM »
Yes, of course.  A great guy.  He did his job, and he wasn't entangled in politics.  He always wanted what was best for Hackensack.

He used to come and sit at city council meetings, just to listen to concerned residents and learn about what was going on in town.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »
Bill would also bring in fresh eggs from his Hackensack farm and tell us stories.  I really enjoyed talking with him when he came to visit.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »
Bill was the type of guy who would do anything for you if you were his friend. Over the years I had lunch with him and several of his close friends on a few occasions and you would cry from laughing at some of their stories. Bill will be sadly missed.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »
Yes......Chief was a Good Man in deed  :police:.... I'll miss bumping into him.......R.I.P. Sir.

anything