Author Topic: President Reagan's Visit to Hackensack (1984)  (Read 11081 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
President Reagan's Visit to Hackensack (1984)
« on: June 11, 2004, 10:18:13 AM »
Speech Transcript:

Remarks at a Reagan-Bush Rally in Hackensack, New Jersey
October 26, 1984

The President. Thank you all very much for a most heartwarming welcome, and it's wonderful to be back in New Jersey. I was close by this past summer. I went to a church festival in Hoboken. And today it's good to be in Hackensack, the capital of Bergen County.

There are many things that are special about New Jersey. One of them is the caliber of the people that you send to the Congress. All of the successes we've had these past 4 years we owe to people like Congresswoman Marge Roukema, Congressman Jim Courter, and we need more people like Marge and Jim in Washington. And that's why I'm asking you to make Neil Romano a Congressman, and to make Mary Mochary a Senator, New Jersey's first woman Senator. We need them all in Washington.

And now, my friend and your great Governor, Tom Kean, has told us about the good news about Hackensack -- that you're not only growing up; you're growing out. You're rebuilding the inner city. You're attracting new businesses and new homeowners. So, you're very much a part of the great renewal that we've been trying to lead in Washington, but which has really been made possible by you, the people of this community, and you, the people of this State and this country.

That renewal began 4 years ago when America changed course, and we were guided in what we set out to do by the advice of a very great President. Abraham Lincoln said we must disenthrall ourselves with the past -- and then we will save our country. Well, 4 years ago that's what we did. We made a great turn. We got out from under the thrall of a government which we had hoped would make our lives better, but which we found simply was trying to live our lives for us.

The power of the Federal Government, the power it had over the decades created great chaos -- economic, social, and international. Our leaders were adrift. They were rudderless, without a compass. Four years ago, we began to navigate by certain fixed principles. And our North Star was freedom, and common sense were our constellations.

We knew that economic freedom meant paying less of the America's families earnings to the government. And so, we cut personal income tax rates by 25 percent.

We knew that inflation, the quiet thief, was stealing our savings, and the highest interest rates since the Civil War were making it impossible for people to own a home or start an enterprise.

And let me inject a little news item here. If you haven't heard the news, as of this morning, led by Morgan Guaranty and three other very great banks in the United States, the prime rate came down to 12 even.

Audience. 4 more years! 4 more years! 4 more years!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:56:42 AM by Editor »

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re:President Reagan's Visit to Hackensack (1984)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 11:42:09 AM »
I remember that day. I was attending the Middle School.

I was carrying drum sticks, walking home from school and got stop by an officer. There was a concern that I seen carrying a weapon.  It was a casual stop by the officer (thankfully) and can only imagine what type of circus show it would cause today.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:39:22 PM by Editor »

Eric Martindale

Re: Reagan on Downtown Hackensack
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »
At first I thought Reagan's 1984 comments was political fluff, then I dug into my memory banks.

From 1978 through 1984, Hackensack was intensely proactive in improving the downtown. We condemned one square block and built Court Plaza. We widened Essex Street from one lane each way to two lanes each way along almost the entire length. We extended Atlantic Street from State Street to River Street. New office buildings were built at 90 Main Street and the corner of Atlantic and State Street. There was a huge explosion of law firms coming into the downtown. Lowitz expanded and modernized, and the Main Street Comedy came to town. All the brick intersections were installed from the Courthouse to Mercer Street, along with shade trees. People really thought the city had turned the corner.

Then all the efforts stopped, people sat back on their laurels, and Main Street went down again.

This further underscores the need for continuous efforts to improve Main Street. Good luck to the Business Improvement District

Offline chadshere

• View Profile
Re: Jesse Jackson came the same year(1984)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 06:37:52 PM »
Wow, 1984 was a year for Hackensack and presidential candidates!. I dont know why I dont remember Reagan coming to Hackensack, but I do remember Jesse Jackson coming. I was 19 at the time, and he came and spoke to a crowd who gathered at the bleachers at the football field at HHS.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: President Reagan's Visit to Hackensack (1984)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »
Thanks to John Squillace for digging this up.  It's entitled the "50th Anniversary Celebration Council-Manager Form of Government". It's inscribed by President Reagan and Gov. Kean during their 1984 visit.  It's also signed by many City of Hackensack employees, residents and non-residents.  It's on display in the lobby at City Hall.

Mayor Fred Cerbo is on the last page.

Click to expand. Scroll right if necessary.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:09:40 AM by Editor »

anything