Author Topic: Tfank  (Read 12943 times)

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Tfank
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »
Anyone remember this store? what was it, a men's clothing store? I remember seeing the sign but I never went in..

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tfank
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »
Ol' Homer remembers Tfank very well. The owner was a gentleman by the name of John Tfank who ran a first class mens haberdashery store a few stores up Main Street from East Salem. I guess that John kept it going until the late '70's when he got caught between the advent of the malls and the decline of Main Street.

John subsequently closed up shop and opened Tfank's deli instead. The deli sold lottery tickets and one day John played a lottery number and not only collected on a big prize but also collected a bonus for selling the winning ticket. Bye bye John.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »
it was on the northeast corner of Main St and Salem.  BCCAP is there now, in a heavily renovated building.  they used to have a huge area of browsing windows under the overhang of the 2nd floor, like many Main St. businesses used to have

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »
Ah, the good ol' days when you could walk into a store and the salesman would know your name and actually offer to help you with your selection. There was a salesman at Tfank by the name of Nick who always took care of me and knew what I wanted and could always have the alterations done when you needed the garment.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
Interesting history of that business...Lowits was another store like that if i'm not mistaken, i remember getting my cub scout uniforms there as a kid.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »
The owner that you would have remembered when you got your uniforms was Jack Linden. Jack started off as a tailor at the store and finally bought the business. After Jack retired, his son David took over the operation. As was the case with Tfank, the high end haberdashery business wasn't there any more and the store closed.

Jack got rid of the Boy Scout line and Prozy took it over.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
Interesting history of that business...Lowits was another store like that if i'm not mistaken, i remember getting my cub scout uniforms there as a kid.

Lowits, David Burr,TFank, Prozys.... fine stores.........main street was great at one time...old Woolworths, The Olive Tree, Riviera pizza, cowans ,the Fox, the Oratani...many more greats...

Anyone remember the name of the store on banta that sold pots ,pans, silver servers, kitchen appliances...seems to have slipped my mind....???

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
Looking back at the old stores on Main Street like Tfank and Lowits, two chaps from Great britain had a hit song in 1964 with the words "... but that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone..."

The store on Banta Place that you mentioned was on the south side of Banta Place about mid block. I don't remember the name; but, if they didn't have it, they didn't make it.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
Looking back at the old stores on Main Street like Tfank and Lowits, two chaps from Great britain had a hit song in 1964 with the words "... but that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone..."

Don't forget Lobel's - Lowits' predecessor. I had to go there for Holy Trinity uniforms in the 50s.

And just for you, Homer, all your faves, including your two lads in '64 and when I shot them (two bottom right guys) at a British Invasion 1986 show at the Felt Forum.

Also in the picture are Freddie (Freddie and the Dreamers - front left, glasses), Gerry Marsden (Gerry and the Pacemakers - center, toothpaste grin), Wayne Fontana (Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders - white hair, above Gerry's right shoulder), and at least two original Searchers (Sweet FA shirt and right above him). Many of the others are younger guys recruited to fill out the bands.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »
Somehow I knew that you would respond to my Chad and Jeremy mention.

On occasion Channel 13 shows some of these '60's British invasion  groups performing their material  when they are now in their 60's.

Ed Sullivan would roll over in his grave if he could see them now after 50 years of leading the "good life." Not to mention Keith Richards.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
Somehow I knew that you would respond to my Chad and Jeremy mention.

On occasion Channel 13 shows some of these '60's British invasion  groups performing their material  when they are now in their 60's.

I hope I'm wrong, but we may be the only people here who were into these bands way back when.

They were great in their 20s, passable in their 40s, and who cares in their 60s.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:59:09 PM »
Some of the readers probably think that Brian Jones was one of the Beach Boys although he did have a problem with water.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »
Water wasn't his only problem - just his last one.

Brian Wilson, however, gets his good vibrations these days as the pitcher with the big, black-dyed beard, who closes for the San Francisco Giants and does Taco Bell commercials.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »
Kinda reminds me of one of the faces on SMITH BROTHERS cough drops.

anything