Author Topic: Undated Hagstrom's black-and-white series map of Hackensack  (Read 8882 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Undated Hagstrom's black-and-white series map of Hackensack
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:50:09 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HAGSTROMS-BLACK-AND-WHITE-SERIES-MAP-HACKENSACK-NEW-JERSEY-/320794657837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab0da042d

Description:

THIS IS A ..HAGSTROM'S BLACK AND WHITE SERIES....

STREET MAP OF HACKENSACK,NEW JERSEY

HAS SOME MINOR  AGE WEAR AND TEAR OF COVER FOLIOS...MAP ITSELF IS IN OVERALL GOOD PLUS CONDITION

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline irons35

• View Profile
Re: Undated Hagstrom's black-and-white series map of Hackensack
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »
it is now mine. thanks Bob

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
Congratulations..............and you're welcome!

I've always wondered if anyone actually buys any of the stuff I post, so thanks for letting me know.

I'm still curious about the map's age, so if you find out, kindly post it here.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »

Before 1950, because certain streets on the west side of Hackensack aren't there yet.  But probably after 1930 because Maple Hill Drive subdivision is on the map.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 02:16:14 PM »
got the map today.  it is pretty interesting.  it is pre WW2, but unknown exactly what year.  I'll run it down from North to South. 

North of Passaic St is pretty much the same as it is today, but there are some differences.

Johnson Ave north of Orchard St is named Central Ave, which meant there were 2 Central Ave's in different places perpendicular to each other, very odd.  it ran north across the brook, but does not connect to Rt 4 as Johnson Ave does today.

Kinderkamack Rd was called Kind Rd on the map, it did not connect past Madison St, and there was a James St(another double named street) that ran diagonal off todays intersection of Madison and Kinderkamack into River Edge.  Route 4 is in that location now. 

Madison St also ran across thru to Hackensack Ave, thru where 411 Hackensack Ave is now.

South Lake Drive is mapped thru to Summit Ave as a wide street, unlike today.

Carmen Pl also appears much larger than it does today. 

Prospect Ave North used to be called Zingsem St in its entirety. 

Clarendon Pl is shown running thru to Poplar, it ends today at Ross.  the street right of way is clearly visible as a driveway for 134 Ross Ave today, as well as the double fence buffer we used to play in between that property and Baldwin Park.

Terrace Pl. ran from Euclid to dead ending between Ross & Poplar.

Byrne St ended at Lookout ave and there was no Brook St.

Linden St ran straight thru from Passaic to Main, the little right left that exists today to stay on Linden crossing Clinton is not shown. 

Knapp Pl was a mapped street, today it is not, but if you continued Clinton to River across Sears parking lot, that is Knapp Pl.

River St's northern end was at Camden Pl.  Hackensack Ave picked up where it does today.

All Streets in the Maple Hill Section are on the map.

Moore St at Mercer was straightened, the map shows it slightly offset at that location.   

There was a lane at the south end of Park St leading to Union St.  the garden apt. complex at Park and Ricardo is there now.

The Trolley line is interesting. it came across roughly where Midtown Bridge Approach is, made a left onto River St, a right on Mercer then made a quick right and left to follow the susquehanna line, but at grade level, which accounts for why 204 Railroad Ave has an alley next to it.  At First St the trolley goes north to Passaic St, then right onto Franklin Pl, it follows the curves there onto Anderson St, then into Maywood, and Rochelle Park beyond that. if you go into Rochelle Park and cut down the street next to 7-11, the right of way is very visible.

The Railroads are also interesting.  they used to have a junction line. there used to be a line from the Susquehanna running from Park St diagonally to Central Ave connecting to the NJ & NY RR(now NJ Transit). This Explains the diagonal alley next to the  former Chicago Minature light warehouse on Railroad Ave it is clearly visible on google earth.

American Legion Dr used to be called Susquehanna St.

Comet Way used to be called Morningside Pl & Halley Dr used to be Hillside Pl.  these changed in 1986.

there used to be a street called Marlatt St that ran thru the High School property from Morningside Pl to First St.  if you do a google Earth lookup of the site, you can see where it was, running the north edge of the HS parking lot and then between the school and the field.

Berry St ran west from State St, it did not exist east of State St. it also ran up to Prospect on the map, now 380 Prospect sits there and Berry ends at DeWolf.  not sure if this is a mapmaker watermark or not.

Demarest St used to be a real road,  not the alley it is now. it ran from Main to River.

Atlantic St ended at State St & Warren St ran straight to Main St.

Myer St ran across the tracks to Newman St, today it ends at Railroad Ave.

Sussex St used to be Morris St between Main and State, and ran straight, unlike the curve it takes today.

DeWitt Pl used to be called Clinton St.

DeCarolis Ct used to be called Erie St. DeCarolis Ct is interesting, as it is the only street in the city that the numbering system runs opposite the rest of the city.

Hospital Pl ran from Atlantic to Essex. 

Porter Ave was longer than it is today, running from Essex to Sutton.  the map shows the 5 streets at that location running into Lodi and connecting to Porter.  it might have, as unpopulated stubs, until the stores were built there.

Thompson St. dead ended roughly where Rowland Ave would intersect it if it were carried across Essex.

Beech St dead ended along the same line of Rowland.

there was nothing by woods where the apartments and houses are in that section now. 

Now, South of Essex St has a ton of changes, most because of the construction of I-80.

Summit Ave was called Grandview Blvd south of Essex.  it shows as a narrow road between Essex and Sutton, and widening between Sutton & Mary, then narrowing across Rt 17.

There was a street called Thomas St off standish Ave. it appears to be one property in on Standish south side just west of Prospect Ave, and dead ends maybe 300 feet in.

There was also a street called Demarest St also off Standish's south side of the street east of Prospect maybe 2 properties in, it too dead ended about 300 feet in. both are sorta visible on google earth, taking into account tree layouts and yard space.

Standish used to run straight across Summit(Grandview) to a street called Wiss St. it ran north south just west of Rowland Ave.

Roughly where the Summit Ave entrance to Route 17 North is were two streets.  Mussolini Ave and Gregano Ave both ran west. Mussolini ran from Grandview to Wiss. and Gregano ran out of Lodi across Wiss and dead ended west of Grandview. I dont know what Mussolini was called post 1941.

Mary St ran straight from Polifly to Grandview, not the curved street it is today.

Vincent Ave ran from Grandview to Polifly, as it does today, but without the interruptions it does today, it also doesnt contact Polifly Rd anymore.

Poor St used to be called Polk St. it ran from Standish across Vincent changed names to Tobin st crossing Vincent and dead ended at the Hasbrouck Heights line.

Kent and Hopper both ran from Standish to Vincent.

Ames ran from Standish and Dead Ended just south of Mary then picked up north of Vincent dead ending again. I would suspect that is because the land owner of the now Stony Hill Inn owned all that property.

There was a Sanford St running south from Vincent to another double name Street, Lodi St, which was the border St in Hasbrouck Heights(it is now called Longview Ave in Heights). the back wall of 155 Rt 17 South faces what was Sanford St.

more double name streets
Clark St was called Union St.
Kipp St. was called High St.
They both ran from Vincent South to Lodi St. in Heights.

West Pleasantview/East Pleasantview were called Garibaldi Ave(as it is today in Lodi). it ran across where 17/80 are today and ran to what was Albertson St.  it then continued across as Evan St to West Green St, which no longer exists today either.

Caruso St was located where the Rt 80 off ramp to Polifly Rd today is.

Newman St ended at Essex St.

Albertson St was just east of Kenneth, running north from Garibaldi dead ending north of Charles St, as Kenneth St did also. Lodi St ended at Green St, not running up to Polifly as it does today.

There was a Christopher St and a Henry St, both ran from Albertson to West Green St. all 4 are gone today.

There was a Wilbur St and a Orvil(sic) St.  Orvil St follows the line of the present South Newman St, Wilbur St was west of that.

West Green St ran from Evan St dead ending in the area of the present Lodi St, paralleling the present Green St.

Owens St used to run across the tracks and connected to Green St.  now it is a dead end parking lot

There was a York St between West St & Porter St.  the property line is visible where the street used to be

Briscolina St used to be called Fuoco St, probably changed during WW2

Troast St is on the map as Troost St. 

Michael St used to be Michael Ave.(or a mapmaker watermark, like Troast St might be)

Kansas St ended at Hudson St.

the map shows a park where the BC Jail is now. it also shows a park where the Record property is.

Church St ran from Bridge to Court St. it is now called Moore St, and continues north as Moore St to Camden St.

Van Wettering Pl ran thru to the river

Water St ran to the river, but there were no houses there, just a boat club

Gracie Pl used to be called Lincoln St(another double named street).  it also ran across Lafayette, to a dead end.  today it ends there.

Ise St is mapped as Ises St. it ran south from Frederick, as it does today to an Ises Lane.  Kennedy St. today west of Old Hoboken Rd follows the path of Ises Lane.  follows the street line of Ises Lane.  a stub of Ise St south of Kennedy St is still there in South Hackensack.

Blauvelt Ave used to be Terhune Ave. it was longer,  running west from Jackson ave, jogging left at Old Hoboken Rd and past Ise St. to South Main St.  Columbus Park is there now.

Bank St is now Wysocki Pl.

Dock St is now Kennedy St. it only ran from the river to Hudson St before I80.   

Grant Pl ran one block from Washington Ave to Jackson Ave. Kennedy St follows the line of this street from Dock St thru the area.  36 Kennedy St used to have a Grant Pl address.

Renner St & Ann St are gone now, buried under I80.  Renner ran from Hudson to the river exacly under I80 and Ann St. crossed Renner midway between Hudson and River, dead ending both north and south of Renner. 

Pulaski Pl used to be called Schmults Pl.

Moonachie Rd ran southwest of Hudson st, as it does today, but is a planned street from Hudson to River at the time of the map.

thats it. 

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »
Wow! you did some job comparing the maps.

Let Ol' Homer add four to your list. Head south on Hudson Street and make a right onto the approach to Route 80. There is a street there named Marginal Road. It was not named after the Marginal family; rather it was a notation on the construction plans for Route 80 indicating that there was a marginal road leading onto the ramps. That notation was incorporated onto the City maps after 80 was built.

The second street is Reilly Court which is a cul de sac running west from Jackson Avenue.There are about six houses on the cul de sac. It was named after Harold Reilly a former city manager.

The third is Summit Court which is the cul de sac running off South Summit Avenue next to the fire station. There are about a half dozen homes on that cul de sac.

The biggest change is in the Hackensack Avenue area. Hackensack Avenue now starts at Main Street  between the garden apartments and the 7-11.That one block stretch used to have another name; but was changed to Hackensack Avenue when the Rothman Arena was constructed and all the other road improvements were made. On the other side of Hackensack Avenue there is now University Plaza Drive which services the Rothman Arena and the University Plaza office development. University Plaza Drive terminates at Temple Avenue which leads out to Hackensack Avenue. There may be a few more obscure changes and I will think about them after I have my turkey tomorrow.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »
I didnt include some of the more recent changes and also Marginal Rd.  the 4th one you have is listed backwards.  The stub from Main St to Hackensack Ave that runs between dunkin Donuts and Firestone used to be called Hackensack Ave, that is where Hackensack Ave began.  then they built University Plaza Drive thru to the Rothman Center from the Hackensack Ave/River St intersection. several years after that, the one block section of the road name was changed to University Plaza Dr, which made sense since it lead right into it.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
I stand corrected. What I meant is not what I said.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »
lol.