Author Topic: Summit and Central  (Read 9078 times)

Offline Anderson

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Summit and Central
« on: June 22, 2004, 07:24:22 PM »
What's the story with that house on the NW corner of Summit and Central?  It's a total mess and the last time I walked by, I thought a dog was going to kill me. ??? ???

Steve

Re:Summit and Central
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 08:34:26 PM »
That house has been in a declining state of disrepair for years. The dog is probably the best feature. But be careful, this could be the new site for the Excelsior IV.  ;D

Offline Anderson

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 10:59:09 PM »
Do you think they would keep the dog though?

Eric Martindale

Re: former site of proposed mosque
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 09:56:43 AM »
I believe you are referring to the house at the southwest corner of Summit & Central.  In 2000 or early 2001, the owner proposed converting it into a combination mosque and retail store. A lot of people came down to the Zoning Board hearing and spoke against it. A house converted into a mosque would be a really junky mosque. If they wanted to make a nice mosque, with distinguished Arabic architecture, from the ground up, at least they could make the claim that it would be some sort of architectural enhancement to the area. But no, they came down to the hearing and said they would preserve the house "as is", and not even make any exterior improvements.  The board shot them down on the grounds that retail is not a permitted use on Summit Avenue.

I wonder if the whole application was just an excuse to make a tax-exempt retail store.  He refused the board's suggestion to come back with a modified plan that does not contain a retail store.

The same owner still owns the house, and he's evidently letting it fall into disrepair. This is a well-known strategy. So the next time they revive the plan and go before a city board to build a mosque with a retail store, they can say they are cleaning up a blighted property.

I have a better idea. LET'S SEND THE CITY INSPECTORS after them. Will somebody please do this.

Offline Anderson

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 01:22:37 PM »
I think you're right, sorry about the mistake, I need to check my compass.  As for your suggestion about the city inspector, why hasn't this happened already?

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 08:09:12 AM »
And what about the make shift building behind the house (in the rear yard) - I am sure no permits were issued to build this eye sore too.

Offline Anderson

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 02:53:19 PM »
That shack is a serious mess!  It doesn't look safe at all.  Why does the City give you a ticket if you put garbarge out on the wrong day but seems to ignore something like this ???

Eric Martindale

Re: Does Osama Bin Laden live in the shack?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 11:02:44 PM »
I wonder, half seriously:  Could you imagine if Osama Bin Laden was living in that shack. Think about, who would even guess that he could be in Hackensack. The military can look all they want in Afganistan and Pakistan, he's probably not there. Nobody's looking HERE for him. He could hide there for years, and nobody would know.

Or if not Bin Laden, who knows what fringe element, the next suicide bomber, could be living in that shack.

Does anyone know if it has a kitchen and bathroom.

anything