Author Topic: The Oldest Tree  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
The Oldest Tree
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
Does anyone know what is.......The Oldest Tree in Hackensack..?

There is a old tree in Columbus Park ....By what used to be the tennis courts, it has to be 20 + feet around at the trunk...its the biggest one I know of....thats my pick...

Anybody have another......

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Oldest Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »
There used to be a real old tree on the NE side of Hudson and Moonachie. I am not sure if it is still there.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »
Related topic: State Champion Trees

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »
The biggest trees in Hackensack are the Cottonwoods in several city parks, notably Foschini and Columbus. However, this is a very fast-growing species and probably even the biggest are no more than 150 years old.  Find some of the slow-growing Beech in Borg's Woods, and those are probably the oldest in the city. They are not the largest trees in Borg's, there are fast-growing Tuliptrees and Red Oaks that are larger. Red Oak is not known for being fast-growing, but sometimes they do.  Pin Oak is also very fast-growing, a prime example on the lawn at First and Central Ave.  The Beech in Borg's are probably the oldest trees in Hackensack and anywhere in Bergen County.  The woods was documented as 200 years on in 1977, but individual trees are far older.  Could some be 300, 400, or even 500 years old.  I wouldn't doubt it.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
just watching....I'm no tree expert, but the tree I'm referring to looks like a maple ..... but without leaves, an amateur like myself cant be sure...but its no cottonwood....that I know

This is a very old tree...it was around when George Washington passed through.....if you ever get the chance ....take a look-see....or when it puts on leaves I'll check back in, to this post when it puts on leaves......

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
After looking at the pictures in The Editors link...maybe it is a cottonwood ....

I thought they were tall and slender....

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
Cottonwood start off tall and slender, reach a certain height, and then just get thicker.