Author Topic: Mini Motorcycles  (Read 9717 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Mini Motorcycles
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:36:40 AM »
Does anyone know if the city has discussed the latest craze on the streets - mini motorcycles ("Pocket Bikes")?

Kids are riding these mini motorcycles on sidewalks, on the side of streets, down the middle of streets, wrong side of the road. Worst of all - most are riding without helmets.

Aside from the wrecklessness - they are difficult to see while driving since the bikes are so low to the ground. Some models of these mini motorcycles can race up to and over 40 MPH.

I haven't seen much in the news about these bikes, but I guess most towns will not deal with them till someone gets hurt.

Eric Martindale

Re:Mini Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 03:46:20 PM »
Call the Police. They are illegal and are a nuisance with noise. When I lived on Park Street, I used to regularly report them. By the way, anyone underage or otherwise without a driver's license should be in big trouble if caught riding one.

Offline Anderson

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re:Mini Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 08:22:01 PM »
I think that the two of you are talking about two different things.  These mini motorcycles that are the new fad are not illegal but I'm not exactly sure why so don't quiz me on it.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Mini Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:39:32 AM »
My understanding is that if the bike are under a certain "CC" (motor size) they are legal on city, but not county roads.

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 12:22:37 PM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 07:12:42 PM »
New Jersey law discussed here: Police say pocket bikes illegal, will be ticketed (Dead Link)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 07:35:39 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 07:35:17 PM »
Latest story: New law keeps motor scooters off the road

Motorized scooters and "pocket bikes" (small-scale motorcycles) were banned from New Jersey streets, roads and sidewalks by the state as of July 19. The legislation, signed by acting Gov. Richard Codey, prohibits the use of such vehicles outside of designated private property.

So that's that.