Author Topic: New HUMC chopper  (Read 3968 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
New HUMC chopper
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »
Yesterday morning, I saw a green and white helicopter flying near HUMC, so I took some pictures of it descending (first two pictures). Today, I read this article in The Record (their photo is the third one):

Hospital copter makes first run

Responds to cyclist injured in a fall

Saturday April 7, 2012
BY BARBARA WILLIAMS AND REBECCA D. O'BRIEN
STAFF WRITERS
The Record

A state-of-the-art medically equipped helicopter stationed in West Milford responded to its first call Friday afternoon when a woman fell from her bicycle and cracked her helmet.

AirMed1, put into operation only a day before the accident, is staffed and funded by Hackensack University Medical Center and will transport patients from one medical facility to another or “go to on-scene” calls, said Lisa Iachetti, Hackensack’s administrative director of community operations and emergency medical services.

The 45-year-old woman was cycling on the shoulder of Route 23 north, near Doremus Road, when a gust of wind threw her from her seat, said township police Lt. John Matarese.

“There was no vehicle contact,” Matarese said. “Her condition was conscious at the time.”

The victim was brought to Morristown Memorial Hospital. Matarese said he was not aware of her present condition. A hospital spokesperson did not return a call.

AirMed1 resides at Greenwood Lake airport, where it is staffed 24 hours a day with a flight nurse and flight paramedic from Hackensack and a pilot from an outside vendor. It is equipped with typical life-saving devices plus a cardiac monitor and ventilator.

“We are thrilled to welcome AirMed1 to Hackensack,” said Robert C. Garrett, president and chief executive officer at Hackensack. “Our medical center is constantly seeking ways to better serve the needs of our community and patients … this helicopter will offer vital transport services not only to Hackensack patients, but to our affiliate hospitals as well.”

Iachetti explained why West Milford was chosen as the site to store the helicopter.

“Patients in Bergen County can typically get to a hospital quickly on the ground but in rural or suburban areas it’s more difficult, so we thought we could best serve patients by being in this area,” she said.

Iachetti said the first call went well and the crew, “which is phenomenal, exceeded my expectations.”

Matarese said he was not aware of any problems in retrieving the injured woman Friday, and said response time was quick.

E-mail: williamsb@northjersey.com and obrien@northjersey.com

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

anything