General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Anchorage Cove - 88 unit townhouse project

(1/2) > >>

ericmartindale:
One of the most severely blighted properties in the City of Hackensack may soon be redeveloped for a luxury townhouse project. An application has been filed, to be heard before the Hackensack Zoning Board of Adjustment for an 88-unit luxury townhouse project at 236-240 South River Street, which is along the south side of Water Street. This is a trucking and contractor yard generally across the street from Cubby’s restaurant.  The applicant is Trobiano, and the project is to be called Anchorage Cove.

Since the zoning is M-1, Manufacturing, numerous variances are being sought. The applicant is requesting that R-3 (Prospect Avenue) zoning regulations be implemented for this project. They are also requesting variances for parking in the required setbacks, and to construct more than one building on a lot, which would be consistent with a townhouse plan.

I haven’t seen the plans, so I can’t give it the thumbs up just yet. I’m generally skeptical of anything proposed by Trobiano, since they own a lot of land in Hackensack, and everything they own is in the most dreadful condition. This does not necessarily mean that this project will be bad.

The case is scheduled to be heard on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 at 7:30 pm by the Zoning Board. It’s the last case on the docket, so it might not start as scheduled, and could push to the August meeting.

ericmartindale:
A special hearing will be held at the end of August. The date has not yet been set. The board attorney said, informally, that this case is likely to go several hearings, and they don't want it "clogging up the docket", so special hearings are to be scheduled.

I believe the attorney for the project is Joseph Zisa.  Or, if not, he otherwise knows a lot about the case. Zisa said the project will extend from River Street to the river and will include the creation of a new segment of the Hackensack Waterfront Walkway.

ericmartindale:
At the August 18th Zoning Board meeting, a special hearing was set for Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 7:30 PM for the Zoning Board to begin deliberations on Anchorage Cove.

This is the largest application to be heard by the board in many years. With the exception of the Medical Center Parking Tower, this is also the most important case to be heard. If approved, several acres of severely blighted truckyards across from Cubby's Restaurant on South River Street will be developed for an upscale condo complex.

kcasnekcaH:
EWW!!!
Who the hell want's to live by the county jail :o :o :o :o

ericmartindale:
I know, its within full view of the jail a few hundred feet away. Going north from the proposed condo site is the unpaved section of Water Street, followed by vacant land owned by PSE&G which is about 300-400 feet wide, and then there is a 50-100 foot wide tidal creek called Brosses Creek, followed by a loop road around the jail.

I would not be in favor of residential on the PSE&G site. Once the PSE&G site is developed for something, perhaps retail, it will more appropriately buffer the condos from the jail. Proximity to the jail is probably reducing the property values somewhat, but evidently not enough to discourage the developer. My guess is they will be marketing to immigrants from Asia who might be more willing to accept such urban conditions if similar units NOT near a jail cost $50,000 more.

Well, there's the Gold Coast from Edgwater down to Jersey City, I guess Hackensack could be called the Bronze Coast.  The current strong real estate market won't last forever, Hackensack should consider itself lucky to get whatever upscale unit built that we can during the current boom. Maybe 5 years from now, we'll be wishing for the next strong real estate market?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version