Author Topic: A day in Hackensack  (Read 15995 times)

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
A day in Hackensack
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
So, I went to this soccer game at Johnson Park, played. Before I went, I had to pee, so I walked around to this area behind a block wall, and peed in some bushes. I didn't know what the hell this area was. It looked like some kind of shooting range. Maybe from back in the day when schools had rifle clubs/classes? Also, a couple of groundhogs live in the corner of the fence and the wall, because when I went back to take these pictures, they ran back into their holes. Anyway, this area was very pretty and nice and quiet on this gorgeous day. In the back there was trees and stuff, and some kind of tall wall built of large timbers or something. There was a nice tall willow tree.

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: A day in Hackensack
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »
As you can see there was also this odd shed/building thingy there.

Anyway, so I then walked along the river walkway in Johnson Park, eventually I made my way to this mulberry tree near River St that luckily had branches low enough to pick from. So I started eating some mulberries from there, just for fun. Here are the mulberries:

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
As I was eating, some African dude was walking and interrupted me and asked me if I could help him understand something, since he's new to the country. He lives in New York (I'm guessing the city) and was driving here, siad he works as a nurse, and it was raining or a water main broke, and his car had gotten flooded, and the next day it died on River St. He said it had to get towed, and they had towed it to Brookside mechanics or whatever on Zabriskie. He wanted to know if the town is responsible, I told him I'm pretty sure no. I know a little bit about law and I know that there have been incidents where towns have been liable for stuff like that, like when NYC was liable because some guy tried to kill himself but didn't succeed and he sued NYC and won (I know, stupid - the verdict was that from a strict liability standpoint technically the city could have trained the driver better which would have avoided injury). From what I understand, the old English "The king can do no wrong" thing still applies, which I told him about. We were chit chatting and he was like "You know, this country isn't a democracy". In general trying to get sympathy. I should have said "You're right, it's a republic", since I sorta believe the same thing, we need more referendums, more direct democracy.

Anyway he said the cops said it was a mile away, I was like it's more like a mile and a half. I looked up the train shcedule on my phone, but train was too long a wait. So we parted.

I forgot to mention that I had picked these flowers while walking around Johnson Park:

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
That is sweet pea, which I didn't know grew on its own as sort of a weed sometimes, but I have been seeing that. And Morning Glory. Got two more purplish morning glories after that pic.

So after parting from the African guy, I went to my car and made a sort of little bouqet with some rubber bands I had in my car. Later, I stopped at Battista dance studio (now Rogers dance studio) to pick up the schedule of their social dances (I've been taking lessons - swing/lindy hop, salsa, merengue, NY Hustle). I gave the flowers to the receptionists there. They seemed to like it.

Later today went to S&J leather/shoe guys on Anderson St to talk to them about replacing rubber soles with leather ones for dancing. Apparently what they do is grind down the rubber and just glue on the leather.

Then later since it was still such a nice day, I walked to the Filipino place and got some food there and ate outside. I found a fig tree too, which I can later try to pick some if they manage to ripen.

And while we're on the subject of wild/urban foraging, you can get ginkgo nuts from the female gingkgo tree over on FDU campus, on the Teaneck side. It's in front of the admissions building or something, in the U driveway that is off the main road.

Anyway, here's one more picture of the weird area in Johnson Park

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 05:50:33 PM »
So, I went to this soccer game at Johnson Park, played. Before I went, I had to pee, so I walked around to this area behind a block wall, and peed in some bushes. I didn't know what the hell this area was. It looked like some kind of shooting range. Maybe from back in the day when schools had rifle clubs/classes?

Classy move.

It was the Hackensack Police Department pistol range. You better hope that their hidden security cams don't have hi-res captures of your urine stream. :police:

http://www.hackensacknow.org/index.php/topic,2323

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »
His stream could send him up the creek in a Brooks Brothers suit.

Offline Edwin

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
woops,
they should put a sign or something.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »
they should put a sign or something.

REALLY inconsiderate of them not to place a "No Peeing" sign every 10 feet or so!! I mean, how is a reasonable person supposed to know exactly where you can urinate in public?

Since everyone pees - Democrat, Republican, and Independent - let's put the sign question to a vote! I hereby nominate the below candidates for placement on the November ballot. If anyone knows of other worthy choices, please add them to the list and let's help out the bewildered, bulging-bladdered sector of the electorate.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »
Whatever sign is decided upon should meet the standards of the City's sign ordinance
More importantly, if Edwin ever decides to do this despicable act again he should apply to the DEP for a urine streem encroachment permit since the subject area is located in an environmentally sensitive area within 500 feet of a navigable river. One cannot be too cautious these days.

anything