Author Topic: How about that 4.5% tax increase?  (Read 5756 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
How about that 4.5% tax increase?
« on: July 31, 2004, 08:45:41 PM »
I find it hard to believe that city officials are proud and only taking responsibility of keeping the city's increase to "less than one-half of that increase".

When is the city going to fairly assess all properties in the city?  Why am I paying $1700 more in taxes than my neighbor (who has the same size house) simply because I did remodeling work to my house in the last three years? Does the city really think assess property is effective based on responsible homeowners who apply for permits?

Shouldn't  the city have more responsibilty with school budget increases?  How hard is the BOE cracking down on illegal students attending our school systems?  It can't be that hard if the BOE forces families to provide proof of residency or by tracking children boarding a #163 NJ Transit bus to NYC daily. Annual increases by the BOE - and teachers still have to shell out out of pocket expenses to have effective teaching classes.

Shouldn't there be a reduction in our taxes with the recent grant money the city and schools are getting from the state and federal government? 

Most of the recent increases are due to rising health care costs. Why are we shelling out the difference when most companies are pushing these increases to their employees?

Most family income increases are not meeting these taxes increases, thus we are all taking home less.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 08:54:12 PM by wetochwink »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: How about that 4.5% tax increase?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 10:29:43 PM »
Wetochwink writes:

"Most of the recent increases are due to rising health care costs. "

See a related story in The Record:  Health care costs likely to boost Hackensack tax
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 10:31:26 PM by Editor »